Hairline crack in stock - what to do?!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs

Bit of a dilemma. I have just bought a new to me "as new" gun. It's a Maxum high rib and when I got it there is a very fine crack on the stock as per the pic. It's solid and a friend who makes stocks, does repairs etc says he can glue it.

I have spoken to the dealer and they will take it back and refund me with no problem. However...

I got the gun at a silly price and will not find one anywhere near the price. I've shot it and absolutely love the way it shoots.

I've always been very fussy about things like this and would avoid but is it worth repairing and forgetting and keep the gun? I can't find another 32 for sale anywhere.

post-651-0-17851700-1384280490.jpg

post-651-0-51735300-1384280633.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult one to call for me. At best the crack can possibly be stabilised but will always be there. At worst it will run until it falls apart.

The only sure thing is it will never get better. Looking ahead, the resale value will take a hit as it's visible enough. If you bought it cheap enough you may be ok taking a hit, but you'll have to find a buyer willing to accept it for what it is (like you have done so far).

Personally it would always be in the back of my mind. Find a realy good "wood" man that you trust and take his expert advice. It is probably nothing he hasn't seen before.

Good looking gun though!  Best of luck with it.  :biggrin:

Get it glued.
If your stocker will stand by the repair then there's nothing to loose.
Give it back and shell more for the same gun? No defo fix it.

What a stunning gun you have there Paul  :beach:  .

Stocks split and they can be repaired, the worst case scenario here is a new stock at some point (which can itself crack if you're unlucky) but a repair would probably be stronger than the original grain and nigh on invisible too. The cost of repair ought to be picked up by the dealer as a minimum, don't bin a gun that has otherwise impressed you.

Cheers all for your replies. It's reassuring as I'm trying to keep this!, I shot so well with it over the Fennes Essex layout first time out with it on Friday so I'm more than happy with it. To send it back is a real wrench.

I've always rejected any damage before so new territory for me but reassuring to hear some wise words from others.

Jim Spalding would do the repair and he is one of the best so I'm happy it's in good hands.

Guess I'm swaying to keeping it when before tonight it was going back! I've spent so much time sourcing this gun, speaking to Guerini and others etc etc to get it right, hence the desire to keep it.

Dont know a whole lot about stocks, but I would say dont use it too much more before you repair it if you can, so the crack doesnt propagate too much more.

Great looking gun, I would try to get it repaired and keep it If I was you too.

Gun now repaired by Jim Spalding and solid now. I'm still uneasy with this. Photo below, return to dealer or keep? Any more thoughts now it's repaired?

post-651-0-15066000-1384816095.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 0
It's not an invisible repair but no doubt the best that could be achieved, the important thing is that it will hold. If it were me I would keep the gun if it had given me the best instant feel and scores compared to other guns but start again if not.

How much is a new stock ? Has the dealer offered a good discount ?

Gun now repaired by Jim Spalding and solid now. I'm still uneasy with this. Photo below, return to dealer or keep? Any more thoughts now it's repaired?

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
If  you aren't happy, then get it returned as all you will do is think about "what if" whilst shooting.

Difficult one to call but if it was me I would keep it ignore the crack and enjoy shooting it! If the crack starts to open then you have a problem ... but most good wood glues are actually stronger than the wood its self so I doubt you will have a problem with it. If you really like the gun you are not going to sell it are you? Therefore the crack is a none issue, use and enjoy is what I say.

Difficult one to call but if it was me I would keep it ignore the crack and enjoy shooting it! If the crack starts to open then you have a problem ... but most good wood glues are actually stronger than the wood its self so I doubt you will have a problem with it. If you really like the gun you are not going to sell it are you? Therefore the crack is a none issue, use and enjoy is what I say.
+1. Think of it as a feature in the grain that makes your gun unique.

It would always be identifiable should it ever be stolen.  :biggrin:

well hopefully all will work out after sorting things today- the gun is a great price with some discount! there are two others for sale used that I can find and they are both a lot more at 3550! mine is as new apart from the crack which I hope will be fine.

Kevin Gill rang me today and may have a stock at Guerini for a friendly price I hope so hopefully I'll get a call tomorrow and will have that on the way.

Think I'll shoot it as is and keep a nice spare stock as an insurance.

I'll still be quids in and future proof it value wise with the spare stock.

cheers

Dibs

Latest posts

Back