gun up, gun down

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minimal movement is the key, either pre mount and lift your head or just out the shoulder and just slide the gun into place by moving only a few inches. Smooth and consistent is king.

Muscle memory is very important. Get the gun out the cabinet every day and dry mount for a few minutes, shoot a few light bulbs and cupboard nobs.

Loads of people do. Yes some shoot gun down but loads don't. Why would you if you don't need to? It's just another variable.
thanks, maybe I need to try a few things out see what works

thanks, maybe I need to try a few things out see what works
find what works for you. The worst I've had said to me about shooting gun up is that I'm obviously a "clay shooter". Er, yes... Not primarily a game shooter that's true. 

gun down, mounting as you call.. I miss much more gun up don't get enough movement. today at holland and holland, big driven's to the left off the tower, call mount kill the target drop the gun out of the shoulder O/R bird comes mount and kill, next pair I hold the gun in the shoulder on the O/R bird, host caddy feller asks do you know what you did differently and why I missed. when he explained it was clear!

When I started shooting sporting years ago I was always told sporting should be shot 'gun down' as it is supposed to simulate live game shooting. You don't stand with gun up while shooting pheassies do you?

My opinion has not changed since.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
The beauty of sporting is you can use either or both.  You will see two on our squad who always pre mount and two who do both.  I think you'll use both.

gun down, mounting as you call.. I miss much more gun up don't get enough movement. today at holland and holland, big driven's to the left off the tower, call mount kill the target drop the gun out of the shoulder O/R bird comes mount and kill, next pair I hold the gun in the shoulder on the O/R bird, host caddy feller asks do you know what you did differently and why I missed. when he explained it was clear!
I like that idea it will be more natural to me, thanks

Watch a few videos on English Sporting Clays youtube channel or any of the many other sporting videos.  There is a lot of talk about shooting gun down for sporting, but you don't actually see that many people doing it.

i have shot fitasc for years, which is gun down, however, with ESP i find it helps on "going away" trap shots it pays to pre-mount with head off stock. there always seems to be about a third of targets will be set like this, so you do get an advantage. also always watch where away birds are heading, try to use a marker such as a tree in the distance etc, it is easy to miss the `line ` of fast going away or quartering clays.

I shot gun down, I have a dependable mount so no problem. I shot pre mounted at wabbits and at low going away and low coming towards. Tried the pre mount with head off as well. Too early to say which is best for me.

I actually shot a stand gun down today, which I almost never do.  Simo pair of incomers from a long way out that you had to wait for.  So much time on them that it wasn't worth mounting until well after you'd shouted pull.

Back