glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim french

Just had my naughty boys letter from the C P S A for not putting my card in yet shoot after shoot i see people shooting without glasses.

What are the naughty boy letter senders doing about it [nothing]?it seems.

Problem is jim nobody gives a sh*t I counted 50+shooters not wearing glasses at the 3 shoots we went to ...ALL AT REGISTERED SHOOTS and one was a regional championship !!!!! and what really does p*ss me right off is when I struggle to see through rain splattered lenses, constantly misting up, and miss a couple and Mr X turns up with his upside down on the top of his head and proceeds to shoot......

No doubt there are rules about this and I think it's time they were put into practise...this is a form of behaviour that would not be tolerated in majors,and undoubtedly leads to a unfair advantage.. :angry: :angry: :angry:

any body from H/Q like to post the actual rules. and is it a matter of taking a picture of said offenders and forwarding it to CPSA or is that to simple, or against their human rights or politically incorrect ????

How difficult is it to instruct each marker not to release any clays until the said shooter in the stand complies !!! you can wrap this any way you want !!! in my book it's cheating and beware of the happy snapper ?????

It is a daft rule anyway, just put a sign up telling shooters that without the use safety specs claims for damage to eyes would be negated. Leave it to the individual to make the choice.

Phil*

How difficult is it to instruct each marker not to release any clays until the said shooter in the stand complies !!! you can wrap this any way you want !!! in my book it's cheating and beware of the happy snapper ?????
I fully agree.

Steve's instructions to the refs at the Westfield selection shoot were absolutely clear. No-one is to be allowed to shoot without both eye & ear protection. I didn't need to intervene with anyone but I would have had no qualms about doing it. But it gets tricky when it's an inexperienced youngster marking, you can't realistically expect them to have the confidence to stop someone from shooting.

Should be down to the stand ref, but would a teenage girl say something, for example? I saw a few people with no glasses at the weekend. Even one with no hearing protection, which just seems daft to me.

I have once witnessed a referee try to insist that shooters wore glasses.It was at a Police shoot at Kibworth and he very soon got told that it was not a CPSA registered shoot so their rules didn't apply.There had been no comments on previous stands.

He insisted that because he was a CPSA qualified referee he had to apply the rules.

When we moved on to the next stand a hairy arsed policeman was discussing with the referee his parentage and self abuse status!!

Glasses are a pain when it's raining but I wear them for two reasons,I wear prescription lenses and I shoot an auto and they keep the odd bits of blow-by out of my minces.

Vic.

This topic is raised on a regular basis and the answer is always the same. If it is a registered shoot then glasses are mandatory, not optional. When the rule is not enforced then you can easily spot the difference between a scorer and a referee. This rule is under the control of the person running the shoot and has nothing to do with the CPSA.

As far as 'naughty boy' letters are concerned, the CPSA is doing its job. Registered scores are to be handed in at the end of the shoot. Its in the rules. There is nothing preventing the shoot organiser submitting these scores having taken the information from the master sheets. Maybe they are scared of upsetting their customers who don't want to put in either a high or a low score for reasons best known to themselves.

This topic is raised on a regular basis and the answer is always the same. If it is a registered shoot then glasses are mandatory, not optional. When the rule is not enforced then you can easily spot the difference between a scorer and a referee. This rule is under the control of the person running the shoot and has nothing to do with the CPSA.

As far as 'naughty boy' letters are concerned, the CPSA is doing its job. Registered scores are to be handed in at the end of the shoot. Its in the rules. There is nothing preventing the shoot organiser submitting these scores having taken the information from the master sheets. Maybe they are scared of upsetting their customers who don't want to put in either a high or a low score for reasons best known to themselves.
good point Ian so with that in mind if anyone shoots any part of the said competition with out glasses.....what would the ground do ?? ie what are the mandatory rules in place? and have the CPSA left another awkward confrontational issue for the ground to sort out ???

This topic really has been done to death. Just wear your glasses and get on with it. If wearing them is such a big issue then don't shoot registered events, there's plenty of other shoots around.

Whilst I agree wearing them in the rain makes life difficult the quality of lenses nowadays actually helps with target aquisition and enhances visibility.

I got a naughty boy on sunday at Wylye :oops: Wandered up to the top end and was chatting with the scorers before first shots, 10 oclock and I saw a pair, got in the stand and ref says "glasses might be a good idea" still had them on my head :oops: :.:

The thing that gets me is spectators wandering round with no eyes or ears on :angry:

This topic really has been done to death. Just wear your glasses and get on with it. If wearing them is such a big issue then don't shoot registered events, there's plenty of other shoots around.

Whilst I agree wearing them in the rain makes life difficult the quality of lenses nowadays actually helps with target aquisition and enhances visibility.
I have no problem with my glasses its the cheats that dont wear them my complaint is about you must have miss read my post, perhapes you need glasses

Also, as an aside, I have noticed that some scorers don't wear protective glasses. I would think there's a potential liability issue for the shoot organiser right there.
Yes i too have noticed scorers not wearing glasses, on one reg shoot last year a young girl was marking a driven stand without eye protection and depending on where the shot was taken shattered clay was raining down all round her. One shooter did in fact tell her she should stop marking till she had eye protection

good point Ian so with that in mind if anyone shoots any part of the said competition with out glasses.....what would the ground do ?? ie what are the mandatory rules in place? and have the CPSA left another awkward confrontational issue for the ground to sort out ???
Clynt, there are three stages of procedure in place ending with suspension of membership for the ground and the shooter involved. I doubt if it would ever get to that stage in reality and I have to say that everyone seems to tip-toe around the problem with out ever sorting it out.

What does it say about glasses in the Shooting Ground's insurance policy?

CPSA membership insurance , doesn't it state that Glasses must be worn ?

Clynt, there are three stages of procedure in place ending with suspension of membership for the ground and the shooter involved. I doubt if it would ever get to that stage in reality and I have to say that everyone seems to tip-toe around the problem with out ever sorting it out.
So are you still eligible for prizes ? if you take part in any of the shoot with out glasses ..... promoting this rule if it exists may go some way to persuading members to wear them !!!!

What does it say about glasses in the Shooting Ground's insurance policy? CPSA membership insurance , doesn't it state that Glasses must be worn ?
I'd wager you're right. If a claim had to be made you bet the insurance company would check the basics as a bare minimum

What does it say about glasses in the Shooting Ground's insurance policy?

CPSA membership insurance , doesn't it state that Glasses must be worn ?
Bryan, its down to due care, as with any other safety issue. If there are signs visible instructing the use of safety glasses and referees and ground staff reinforcing those instructions then I think due care has been shown. It would be very difficult to prove negligence under these circumstances.

Latest posts

Back