fixed choke trap gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have just had the 687 out with a view to convincing myself its on a one way trip to rfd. Whilst dry mounting I realised that "obviously" I tend to adopt a trappie square ish on stance as I left foot 3min past the hour right foot 12 min past the hour and the comb is way way to low, however if i adopt a more side on stance with a Percy stanbury right foot tippy toe then all of a sudden comb height alters (well it doesn't but the mount gives the effect of doing so) in all my years I have never noticed this even though I used to shoot dtl with this side on stance. Um, me thinks I need another go with the 687 and a tippy toe stance before making any rash decisions. I do love the 687 its very pretty .

Anyone else noticed how stance effects perceived comb height. ??
For me a side on stance just makes the gun difficult to mount properly.  I suspect that you go screwing with different stances/mounts for different guns you'll get properly screwed period.

Never fails to amaze how difficult people can make things for themselves.  OK that's a lie, it doesn't amaze me at all.

Just shoot the trap gun, forget the choking, play with ammo and enjoy it......

I use my trap gun for everything with no detrimental effect, if I miss its down to me not the chokes.....

You know the gun, how it shoots, use it.......

Just shoot the trap gun, forget the choking, play with ammo and enjoy it......

I use my trap gun for everything with no detrimental effect, if I miss its down to me not the chokes.....

You know the gun, how it shoots, use it.......
my thoughts exactly..

shot esp with the 687 this morning and adopted tippy toe stance, I shot some well and others not well but have concluded two things.

1 - nothing too wrong with the 687

2- I shoot better with swing through method

still not totally at one with the 687 so next time I will use the DT10 for comparison

what's the measurements of "usable" pattern at 30yd for 1/4-1/2-3/4-full

what's the measurements of "usable" pattern at 30yd for 1/4-1/2-3/4-full
depends on ammo type and shot size, shooting near stuff, use 9's and these wads with no shot cup or fibre, 8's will sort 90% of the rest then some decent trap loads for the real rangey stuff.......

Will have to meet at the fish sometime and have a play on the sporting.....  or have a run up here on a wednesday and we can have a rattle at crabtree, its fibre only on the sporting....

And on game, if its nearer than 30 yards you should be watching it anyway, (unless its grouse, then youll need full when its buggering off ).....

might be going tomorrow mate, are you free ?

very interesting that. Only five yards difference per choke size ? not a great deal really.

will try the trap gun tomorrow and report back ?
I have patterned several chokes and cartridge types. I have often found that the chokes meet these pattern sizes when used with a fibre wad cartridge, when usedwith a Plas wad they tighten up a choke size or two. My teague 1/4 choke produces 32" at 30 yards with Plas wad and about 36" with fibre.

I have only ever patterned fixed choke trap guns mainly for poi. Never needed to concern myself with open choke. Looking at the chart the difference is quite minimal until you start talking very close or very far. I reckon a pocketful of plas 7.5 for normal stuff and some 9s for stupid close stuff should do the trick. Also cant see any problems for pheasant ?

only draw back is no barrell selector on me trap gun.

I personally remain to be convinced that a 9 shot cartridge will necessarily throw "usefully" more open patterns at close range, not saying some won't but without physically carrying out tests at the ranges you're talking about it's more assumption than hard reality. I also don't quite get the thing with dropping down to bigger shot such as 7's for longer targets (edgy rabbits or some targets such as real rockets are exceptions) because by doing so you are reducing density as well. Evidence suggests 7.5's will break targets a long way off, longer than most of us can hit them at in the first place. 

I usually shoot velocity plus plastic wads for general use and carry some evo fibre 8's for anything close, all shot through 1/4 teagues.

I've been keen to try the fiocchi piston and bior to try to replace the fibre 8's with, purely because of the difference in feel when you fire a Plas wad to a fibre. Only problem is in remote Lincolnshire no one stocks them so got to wait to get an order together for just cartridges.

I shot ABT with 28g 8s through 3/4 full for probably ten years I always felt that the kills were no different to 7s but the pattern always felt more forgiving. At that time I had never ever patterned a gun so it was only based on how the shot "felt"

On Wednesday I shot my best score this year at sporting. I went with the intention of only shooting ABT so didn't take my sporter choked 1/4 & 3/4. And used my trap choked 8 & 10 (tight 3/4 & Full) 

Didn't win but close enough to a credable effort after a year of being miles away.  

Didn't miss any near targets so don't feel that chokes hampered me

Last edited by a moderator:
is it a case of the wrong gun for the discipline but one your used to is better than the right gun for the discipline but one your not as used to ???

If I were you I'd have a trip up to Malmo and ask to look at the S2 , So3 and So4 (my choice) they have in and do a deal to swap the 687. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh like the SO4 doesn't say what chokes though

Back