fixed choke trap gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with almost everything in life the answer is somewhere in the middle. 

Just as an aside, have you ever shot English Sporting?
Nope but that has nothing at all to do with hitting a moving target using a shotgun. The principal remains the same regardless of what the target is doing if you put the target in the middle of the pattern it will break... you re not going to tell me that is not the case are you ? Or that for some strange reason it is actually easer to put the target at the centre of a more open choke than at the centre of a tighter choke.

Nope but that has nothing at all to do with hitting a moving target using a shotgun. The principal remains the same regardless of what the target is doing if you put the target in the middle of the pattern it will break... you re not going to tell me that is not the case are you ? Or that for some strange reason it is actually easer to put the target at the centre of a more open choke than at the centre of a tighter choke.
Nobody, not even the top 5% centre the target all the time, without the breaks that come from the patterns margins we'd all be staring at loads of zero's on our cards. Now that is fact. 

No, just wondering if you've ever regularly shot at fast crossing targets less than 10m out.  Something that can be regularly set on a sporting shoot.  You can keep your full choke, I'll use my fixed 3/8th and piston wad 9s for those.

so consensus for esp with fixed 3/4 full is .....

Don't wreck an expensive trap gun, you just need to go and invest in a decent sporting gun instead!  Plenty of nice DT10 Sporters out there if you want to stick with the same brand.  

Edit to add: not that I want to be an enabler for you buying another gun or anything  :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
so consensus for esp with fixed 3/4 full is .....
Ian I would not go having a fine gun butchered simple to be able to say at least I missed it with the right size of choke.. the thought is F'n laughable. Give it a go with the gun and if you do miss don't go blaming it on choke size. Bebo... I cannot think of any shot a sportsman would make in the field at 10m so why is such a target even thought about for ESP... don't tell me give you a chance to use a 3/8 choke... which would of course be massively different to a 1/4 or 1/2 :)  

Because ESP has evolved from something that was originally intended to mimic targets found in the field.  There are lots more tricky technical targets these days.  You wouldn't expect to be standing up on a platform shooting targets coming out from under your feet in the field, but you see it all the time at sporting shoots.

Because ESP has evolved from something that was originally intended to mimic targets found in the field.  There are lots more tricky technical targets these days.  You wouldn't expect to be standing up on a platform shooting targets coming out from under your feet in the field, but you see it all the time at sporting shoots.
I don't know where you shoot your game but if you have even thought about levelling a gun at a target only 10m away at the syndicate I shot with you would not be asked back ... in fact your would have been asked to leave immediately. Anything shot at 10m would not be worth picking up... if you could find the remains.

john

you have a game background would you shoot 3/4 - full at "normal" game distance?

I used a std dt10 once and had my best day to date and they were not high birds, but they were not pillow cases ?

probably been done before but humour me..

if one was to shoot a 30" trap gun 3/4 - full at sporting what cartridges would be best and is it even do-able. Same question re-pheasant & partridge

ps

will fibre pattern differently to plastic ?
steve brightwell shoots 3/4 full  trap gun and uses lots of 9s  on any target showing dome or belly  at all distances    ,  he seems to hit a few ! :rolleyes:  

ps

I am thinking choke is bollicks apart from stupid close stuff that as john alludes to is in reality not gonna happen in game unless you don't want an invite

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

You will .... I repeat WILL immediately regret it. 

If your desperate to ruin it get it multichoked.  Might have convincnced yourself otherwise now but  you will..  absoluely will shoot trap again.

Sell the 687 and buy something that fits or can be easily fitted with 30" barrels with  more open factory chokes.

PS something from one of the makes that do really refined lightish game guns. I mean  B guns only got here to start with as they were put on the Boat to keep it  upright.  :angel:
Absolutely!!  If you're not in the hunt in the comps or just doin it fer fun just get a junk gun to do it with.  Like cheap Beretta or a gas gun.  Molesting that DT would be nothing less than something done by a mental aberrant.  Aftermarket screw-in are the Work of Satan!  I can't believe that you even mentioned it.   :eek:

"... not the best idea unless you're Richard Faulds or George Digweed"

Surely the idea is to shoot as well as these Gentlemen?

I have never shot any gun in my collection as well as I used to shoot my MK38 Trap choked Full & Exta Full , 0.040" & 0.045" inch.

Interestingly , have you ever compared the pattern at 10 yards of Cylinder & Exta Full of  a plastic wadded cartridge?

On a slightly different topic but as a a good reason not to mess with choke and leave well alone:- 

I know a chap  who had a beatiful toffee coloured Cocker Spaniel , untrained ( the Cocker?) and knew nothing about gundog work.

Despite the dog's owner reading everything about training and asking numerous questions about training , that dog.

learned what to do itself , and turned out superbly .

Sadly the owner of the dog went bad.

A Labrador Gundog lives to be  trained 

A Cocker or Springer will die part trained.

Cocker owners are untrainable. 

Absolutely!!  If you're not in the hunt in the comps or just doin it fer fun just get a junk gun to do it with.  Like cheap Beretta or a gas gun.  Molesting that DT would be nothing less than something done by a mental aberrant.  Aftermarket screw-in are the Work of Satan!  I can't believe that you even mentioned it.   :eek:
I know Charlie it was a moment of madness was just thinking aloud looking at options. My hope was a massive consensus of opinion that to a degree choke is bollox and its better to shoot a gun that you are happy with and that fits and trap gun will be fine for esp and game ?

I don't know where you shoot your game but if you have even thought about levelling a gun at a target only 10m away at the syndicate I shot with you would not be asked back ... in fact your would have been asked to leave immediately. Anything shot at 10m would not be worth picking up... if you could find the remains.
Where have I ever said that I shoot game?  I don't, I shoot English Sporting, which as I said above, no longer just tries to replicate what game birds (or rabbits) do.

Back