First lesson

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Selby

Just had first proper lesson and loved it. Apparently I managed to hit 85% and well chuffed. It is defo the sport for me.

Thanks...

Just wondering but do coaches normally make the targets easier for beginners? Are they normally a lot quicker for the experienced/competition shots?

Thanks...

Just wondering but do coaches normally make the targets easier for beginners? Are they normally a lot quicker for the experienced/competition shots?
I hate to break it to you, but yes. It is the right thing to do, as you need to get used to the gun and the whole idea first. Harder targets come later. And you might be a bit shocked to see how hard they can be! Not speed so much as complex angle and distance.
Learn to walk, then jog, then run. It's all good fun. No point in shooting tough stuff at first. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was the case as I was watching the others shooting and their targets did appear to be more difficult. I'm happy to just try hitting the easy stuff at the moment and learning each time. Really chuffed and loved it. SGC application in the post in the morning ;-)

I thought that was the case as I was watching the others shooting and their targets did appear to be more difficult. I'm happy to just try hitting the easy stuff at the moment and learning each time. Really chuffed and loved it. SGC application in the post in the morning ;-)
One Sunday when it's on, wander up to Westfield. Say Hi at the desk and arrange to walk the course (with eye and ear protection). See what competition looks like, something to consider in 6 -8 months time?

One Sunday when it's on, wander up to Westfield. Say Hi at the desk and arrange to walk the course (with eye and ear protection). See what competition looks like, something to consider in 6 -8 months time?
Excuse my ignorance but where is Westfield? Also I was going to ask if some places allow newbies like me to tag along and just watch to gain some experience of shooting etiquette prior to gaining a SGC. I have ear defenders and safety glasses. I'm keen to learn all about the sport and wondered if people mind newbies watching?

A few from here are at Westfield quite often - I'm sure anyone regular there would have no problem with you walking the course with them... I'd be happy to do so, next time I am there...

GL54 3BX near Cheltenham. Thought it might be your nearest good shoot?

Look at the CPSA website, which lists all the grounds and fixtures.

There are not usually many unaccompanied people wandering around, but I can't see why not. It may well be the case that somebody will be more than happy to have you tag along with them. I would certainly not mind. As long as you aren't chatting while they are shooting or standing somewhere daft it's all good!

Thanks chaps, that is great news. It's pretty close to me so will try to get over there soon and tag along if that is ok....I understand the keeping quiet bit/standing back as I also play a bit of golf :)

Have to say, this does seem a very friendly sport.

Thanks chaps, that is great news. It's pretty close to me so will try to get over there soon and tag along if that is ok....I understand the keeping quiet bit/standing back as I also play a bit of golf :)

Have to say, this does seem a very friendly sport.
You really should find that most folk are just keen to see you join and progress. A few miserable sods exist, so if you find them, move on, it gets better. :)

The targets that you will see at this ground are first class and you wont find much better. It will give you a good idea of what you should expect going forward. Another registered sporting ground near to you would be Longridge and the owner Steve Nutbeam is another very good coach.

The targets that you will see at this ground are first class and you wont find much better. It will give you a good idea of what you should expect going forward. Another registered sporting ground near to you would be Longridge and the owner Steve Nutbeam is another very good coach.
Thanks Alec, I will have a look at both.

I've even managed to talk my soon to be wife into buying me a shotgun (SGC approval permitting) instead of having a wedding ring.... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back