Fiocchi

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still intrigued to try and pattern FBlu 7.5 and Fblack 8 plas wads.

If anybody can sell me a box (25) from their stock, it would be appreciated. If this kind person is going to Wylye, Weston, EJC or other reg shoots within an hour of Maidenhead over the coming weeks, it would be a place to meet up.

Hope this doesn't sound cheeky. I am happy to provide some Clever (sell or as a swap for the Fiocchi) if anybody fancies trying them.

(I am very happy with Clever, but they are not locally available. I now see that a local Countrywide store will order in Fiocchi in quantity if I went for them, so it would be convenient).

Cheers

I have done a bit of pattern testing with the Fiocchi FBlu, 28g, 7.5 (UK 7) plas wad.

In summary, they exhibit the normal characteristic of a 7 shot; being very tight (i.e. a small `diameter` pattern). So, compared to a normal 8 shot cartridge; the effect is similar to using a significantly tighter choke; at least a 1/4 tighter I guess.

The pattern is not very even, with a fair few fliers. A very dense centre remains, even at 25 yards, so if on target, the kill will be `heavy`, probably to over 40 yards..

I would not have particular confidence with these for a full round of sporting, as the effect is a very dense centre, surrounded by an uneven shaped cloud of fliers. I imagine that the kills on the card would be `fine`, but some slightly confusing breaks (from dead-centre to edge of pattern) might make you wonder what is happening.

I also think that they are more punchy on the shoulder than Clever T2; although I need to shoot them back to back really.

So, early verdict is that, as Hamster said, really need to try them in the unavailable 8 or 7.5 shot..

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly what I had feared may be the case with them, great shame really as they have the potential to do for Fiocchi sales what Superbs did for Eley about ten years ago. I used a couple of boxes and was amazed at some of the breaks I got on very edgy long birds, but a full round is no place for a centre dense unforgiving pattern.

I will have to try some T2s now Clever . Good of you to write up your test results on the FBlu . I have always thought they threw a tight pattern and have been meaning to pattern test them my self .

I have tried the T1's and was rather impressed with them for a cheap'ish cartridge :)

I fear that if they did this shell in a UK 8; it would not be very good. 7's fly straight, because they are larger and less susceptible to distortion. In an Fblu, they already fly in a fairly bad pattern (due to cheap powder / wad I guess) so an 8 would be worse?

I also noticed that a lot of the propellant flakes, in an unshot cartridge, had escaped from behind the wad and were visible if held up to the light. Not a problem, but you dont tend to get this in a more expensive shell.

As I say, these are a fairly decent shell, but if you use them I recommend opening the choke up a bit.

I have done a bit of pattern testing with the Fiocchi FBlu, 28g, 7.5 (UK 7) plas wad.

In summary, they exhibit the normal characteristic of a 7 shot; being very tight (i.e. a small `diameter` pattern). So, compared to a normal 8 shot cartridge; the effect is similar to using a significantly tighter choke; at least a 1/4 tighter I guess.

The pattern is not very even, with a fair few fliers. A very dense centre remains, even at 25 yards, so if on target, the kill will be `heavy`, probably to over 40 yards..

I would not have particular confidence with these for a full round of sporting, as the effect is a very dense centre, surrounded by an uneven shaped cloud of fliers. I imagine that the kills on the card would be `fine`, but some slightly confusing breaks (from dead-centre to edge of pattern) might make you wonder what is happening.

I also think that they are more punchy on the shoulder than Clever T2; although I need to shoot them back to back really.

So, early verdict is that, as Hamster said, really need to try them in the unavailable 8 or 7.5 shot..
What choke were you using in the test?

Half. Obviously all my comments about pattern size and shape relate to other cartridges shot through the same gun and fixed half choke.

Yes I gather Fblacks come in smaller shot sizes, but everybody says they are high recoil. I would try some if I come across them though.

There's a bit of bump from them...compaired to Clever anyway!!!

Fiocchi Top Speed are horrendous for recoil, shot 1000 of them, bursting sore head every time I'd shot 50 or so!!!

Back