Eye protection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonky70

I've been looking at eye  protection and noticed a lot of people are using the colour light purple why is this does this cater for all weathers 

not as good at coping with changeable light as your own naked eyes Imo, so its clear for me all year regardless. Job done.

As soon as a big name starts wearing clear lenses, pilla  will be selling them for £150. Probably marketed under the " closest to natural vision " banner.

I've been looking at eye  protection and noticed a lot of people are using the colour light purple why is this does this cater for all weathers 
I use the Pilla 46n (purple).

I found it helps bring orange clays out, from green/trees etc.  It also helps make black clays stand out from overcast skies.

I like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried Light Purple and a Dark Purple in the Randolph Ranger Lenses.

I really want to like them as they do look stylish, but for me all I get is like seeing everything in a kind of greyish hue. A bit like seeing in black and white with no real definition of the target.

I find the best results come from the Vermillion (Red) lenses for seeing orange and black clays against any background, or a slighly higher light emitting Orange for when conditions are more cloudy and dull. I have the Dark Grey lenses and the Light yellow lenses, but these get very little use at all as they either make things too dark on bright days, or too light on dull days respectively.

Everybody sees it differently so find what works for you rather than trying to follow a fashion. I predict Green might become the new Purple in 2016??? Purple is so last year!

I have Target Orange and Light Purple in prescription. In the last 18 months, I haven't once had to use the purple. Wish I had chosen another colour in the offer.

I use the Pilla 46n (purple).

I found it helps bring orange clays out, from green/trees etc.  It also helps make black clays stand out from overcast skies.

I like them.
i found the same. They are good on trap lay outs where there is a tree background beyound a grass field such as Beverley. Orange and vermillion work well in the trees and grass but the clays can fade when they hit the skyline in certain sky colours. 

Others and myself have found that you need to wear the glasses for a bit before they become effective. It seem to take myself about 20 mins for my eyes to settle. They then light up orange clays very well. Chucking them on as you walk onto a stand doesn't seem to work very well.

The dark purple come into their own in the where you shoot orange clays into a low sun.

It isn't fashion - they're just now more available. Whether UK shooting weather conditions require so many different versions is moot - and, prepare yourselves, yet MORE variations of purple are coming from Pilla this year. This DOES perhaps keep the marketing wheel turning...

From an optical perspective, the purples will neutralise green and, to an extent, enhance orange. This is why they are particularly popular on the trap circuit.

As I've covered before, everyone perceives colour slightly differently, some fortunate people's visual systems cope with any light condition and any background, others prefer brighter, more intense colours such as yellow and vermillion. Myself, i find these colours too bright so do tend to go towards the purples and greys as they make my eyes feel more relaxed.

I have a system i use in practice to actually custom build tints based on the individual's personal preferences, and last year made three different shades of green lenses for one of our top lady shooters, so John, green was last year! Who knows what 2016 will bring :D

It isn't fashion - they're just now more available. Whether UK shooting weather conditions require so many different versions is moot - and, prepare yourselves, yet MORE variations of purple are coming from Pilla this year. This DOES perhaps keep the marketing wheel turning...

From an optical perspective, the purples will neutralise green and, to an extent, enhance orange. This is why they are particularly popular on the trap circuit.

As I've covered before, everyone perceives colour slightly differently, some fortunate people's visual systems cope with any light condition and any background, others prefer brighter, more intense colours such as yellow and vermillion. Myself, i find these colours too bright so do tend to go towards the purples and greys as they make my eyes feel more relaxed.

I have a system i use in practice to actually custom build tints based on the individual's personal preferences, and last year made three different shades of green lenses for one of our top lady shooters, so John, green was last year! Who knows what 2016 will bring :D
I did try some purple lenses and you are right in what you say, in fact they were so good that I was able to watch the orange clays all the way to the ground !

similer to clear rose by castellani exept they dont rob you on price.
Actually pilla dont rob you , the the lens have loads of extras on them which castellani ones dont. You defiantly get your moneys worth :)  

For example : 

A. HYDRO-PEL 
B. FLASHING
C. ADHESION COATING
D. PRIMER ADHESION COATING
E. VIVX LENS
F.  PRIMER ADHESION COATING
G.  ADHESION COATING
H.  ZEISS VIVX ANTI-REFLECTIVE
I.  HYDRO-PEL 
That's taken off their website :)  

Actually Pilla DO rob you.

Far far overpriced , but if you are gullible enough to believe all marketing hype , that is your choice.

I am sure that a very good optician such as Ed Lyons will and would advise you as to the best value for money that would suit each individual.

Randolph make some excellent spectacles equally as good as any Pilla but considerably cheaper.

Important thing with eyewear is the correct lens for YOU , comfort and eye protection.

Never ever scrimp on safety.

Actually Pilla DO rob you.

Far far overpriced , but if you are gullible enough to believe all marketing hype , that is your choice.

I am sure that a very good optician such as Ed Lyons will and would advise you as to the best value for money that would suit each individual.

Randolph make some excellent spectacles equally as good as any Pilla but considerably cheaper.

Important thing with eyewear is the correct lens for YOU , comfort and eye protection.

Never ever scrimp on safety.
I don't consider myself gullible and I don't give a fig about marketing hype and I rarely spend a lot of money on myself but I like Pilla glasses and I can afford to buy them and yes they are overpriced as are so so many products with a "name" but I get from them what I want which is clearer vision, enhancement of the damn orange and pink clays and good all round vision without bits of the glasses getting in my eyeline.  Tony also has them and we have different lenses so can swap out if we want.  If I have any complaint it is  that changing the arms/how many poppers are on the lens  is a swizz because lenses are not interchangeable between the different Pilla range.

I use Oakley. 

Find their pink lens VR28 really good as a general use lens. 

I use their gold iridium (bronze) for really bright sunny days

and their persimmon orange lens for really dull days. 

Sian,

Exactly, spot on, buy what you want, it is the buyer's option, right, and their money. I am only giving my opinion.

HiDef used to be fantastic but since changing management and name to Pilla they must think we are Pillocks??? :eek:

Anyone in the market for good glasses should try B&Q who currently are giving away Mowers and Strimmers with every set of clear glasses bought at a fraction of the price of Pilla's  :lol:  ( plus they are possibly more shot resistant than some shooting glasses)

Back