EvoComp stock suitability for FITASC

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not looking for an argument, never do with a world champion, but Greg Hancock seems to do alright at Skeet and they shoot way faster gun down than any other shotgun discipline gun up or down. I think it is all about the individual what is one manes meat is another vegan delight🤣

I can certainly see why being fixed before seeing the target in sporting may be not the best though but I was witness to someone telling another that there were only two positions where a gun could be mounted to be a successful trap shooter 🤣
To be fair, the question was never if such a stock or grip was appropriate for skeet or trap. It clearly is. Anecdotal evidence can be found in the numerous ISSF skeet and trap  videos on Youtube where a fair number of top class competitors use stocks with glove grips. Even the EvoComp website list the number of medals won at big events by shooters using their product. 

On the flip side, I can not remember seeing a single Youtube vid of a SC event where the medal contenders used a glove grip. This is by no means evidence by itself, but it does give a clue. 

I am trying to understand why the glove grip is popular with top class skeet and trap shooters, but seemingly ignored by the top SC shooters YouTube and the Internet give me access to in the absence of big shoots. 

To be fair, the question was never if such a stock or grip was appropriate for skeet or trap. It clearly is. Anecdotal evidence can be found in the numerous ISSF skeet and trap  videos on Youtube where a fair number of top class competitors use stocks with glove grips. Even the EvoComp website list the number of medals won at big events by shooters using their product. 

On the flip side, I can not remember seeing a single Youtube vid of a SC event where the medal contenders used a glove grip. This is by no means evidence by itself, but it does give a clue. 

I am trying to understand why the glove grip is popular with top class skeet and trap shooters, but seemingly ignored by the top SC shooters YouTube and the Internet give me access to in the absence of big shoots. 
That is probably down to the fact that they traditionally wear wellies too 🤣 but you are right . It is down to the fact that with skeet and trap the athletes are honing a technique but in fairness I think there are still more really top class trapshooters using traditional gunstocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a bit baffled by the content of this thread. In my ignorance and inexperience I do have to rely on what I can learn from others, then go try it for myself. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. What was that someone said about meat and veg? 

Anyways. When shooting, I have my hands on the gun usually. The grip in my left, the fore end in my right. I do take my hands off the grip and fore end, but only for loading or when I’m putting the gun away.

Now, I did have my grip modified. I was experiencing a little discomfort in the left hand. The pistol grip had my hand positioned in such a fashion that when shouldered (in approximately the same position give or take a half inch... I did say I was inexperienced didn’t I?) this caused my hand have too much adduction (cue @Wonko the Sane ) 

By cutting the... umm, the notchy bit in front of the comb wossisname lower this allowed my wrist a more natural position when actually taking a shot with the gun mounted.

Now  this does mean that my wrist when holding the gun down has a little more abduction (tilted up relative to the fore arm as one would expect) this doesn’t cause me discomfort and if it did, I think I could tolerate that for the amount of shots I take from the hip (none!).

Now I do move my hand on the fore end, by maybe an inch or so back if shooting a driven.

I cannot imagine not do I believe I have experienced moving my hand on the grip for different presentations as it would seem to me that my head, shoulders, and other parts of my anatomy are in a largely similar position relative to each other when taking shots of all manner of presentation and I do find the trigger is reliably in the same place each time I pick up the gun. The barrels too actually... oh and the wooden bit. I’m struggling to think how much movement my grip would need to be modified between presentations for me to be able to shoot 100 straight and win the world sporting or fitasc with its greater requirement to move around.

maybe I could put my engineering mind to work and design a gun with a 3 axis gyroscope and accelerometer and a dynamically adjustable high speed servo actuation stock that I could superglue to my hand and skeet vest... I’m bound to become a world champion then, aren’t I?

Or maybe some are blessed with more talent, dedication  and opportunities to practice than others? Who knows? Maybe such folks could shoot better than me with my gun than I can. I’d say probably. 

if I recollect correctly it was Russel marks who told a tale of GD shooting someone else’s gun one handed and breaking 70 yard crossers whilst holding a beer in the other? Even if that’s not true, I wouldn’t be surprised if he could do that. 

ive come around to the benefit of a decent gun fit but for me it’s still mostly about what makes you feel most happy with. More placebo than anything so finite that we can, whomever we may be or whatever we may have achieved, that a one size fits all solution. Especially when one is a foot shorter and probably a good 5 stone lighter than another. 

ive said it before (well, it’s plagiarised) Shooting is a 80% mental game, the other 20% is in your head

Aside from you being wired up backwards .........

Few if any glove grips have a configuration that would not relieve the adduction you mention.  Again I mention the critical nature of the grip size on those things.  The part you notched is appropriately called the "wrist" and notching that like you mention doing has become quite a popular thing to do on non-glove grip stocks.  I first noticed it on Amber Hill's gun and shortly afterward did some carving on one of mine to good effect indeed.  Anyway a glovegrip carries that to the max.  The EvoComp goes so far as to have a squiggly sorta fixing bolt so that the thumb groove can be lowered even more.

maybe I could put my engineering mind to work and design a gun with a 3 axis gyroscope and accelerometer and a dynamically adjustable high speed servo actuation stock that I could superglue to my hand and skeet vest... I’m bound to become a world champion then, aren’t I?
Make sure you use Mallory flux capacitors and approved dilitium in the power section

Aside from you being wired up backwards .........
Right handed, but left shoulder shooter.

“The EvoComp goes so far as to have a squiggly sorta fixing bolt so that the thumb groove can be lowered even more.”

‘twas the stock bolt that prevented me cutting the “wrist” even lower. 

I also lengthened the grip and increased the palm swell, raised the comb, shortened the LoP and increased the cast as much as the stock would allow.

Being a short arse, there was no chance of a standard stock fitting me. To be fair I do sort of lament doing the modifications as there are better ways I could have gone about it and would have had better results too. Idiot tax was past due!

That said, the fact I now don’t feel hampered by  stock whose dimensions distracted me has given me a boost in confidence that has resulted in an improvement in consistency... I think

‘twas the stock bolt that prevented me cutting the “wrist” even lower. 

I also lengthened the grip and increased the palm swell,
Sounds like you're as close to a pistol grip as your stock would allow. Trying one out might save you some time and hassle. Also, if I recall correctly you have several guns of a German brand or another, which might well all accept the same stock configuration. That way, you only have to cart around one stock and a long handled hex-driver  :)  

Sounds like you're as close to a pistol grip as your stock would allow. Trying one out might save you some time and hassle. Also, if I recall correctly you have several guns of a German brand or another, which might well all accept the same stock configuration. That way, you only have to cart around one stock and a long handled hex-driver  :)  
2 F3 and an F16. The F16 is the stock I modified but unfortunately doesn’t fit the F3

I'd like to suggest an approach here

Why don't we let those folks who feel that sliding around on the gun is a good thing just slide around on the gun

AND

give permission to those who care to grasp the gun securely and control it in a positive manner to do that ....  ?

just a thot

Back