EvoComp stock suitability for FITASC

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socrates

Hi, 

I wanted to buy a new 725 Adj Sporter, but I am now considering looking for decent used Browning/Beretta and having a custom stock made for it.

I like the idea of the EvoComp. It's ugly as hell, but the adjustability appeals to me. 

Does the grip design of the EvoComp lend itself to FITASC? It seems like it locks up the wrist, which leads to consistency when mounting the gun. The EvoComp seems to have a following within the skeet and trap community, but I'm struggling to find sporting clay shooters that talk about their experience.

Will the EvoComp grip work well with all the different target presentations in FITASC & Compak or am I better off with a more traditional stock design?  

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a chap doing sporting with one and he didn't miss many, but and this is the point, it's not what someone else is using it's what suits you.You need to try one before spending out and finding the standard stock is ok

I disagree

Success of the anatomical stocks in international trap and international skeet (low gun, remember?) clearly indicate that the grip in no way hinders gun movement on targets as extreme as any in sporting and that a stock is a stock is a stock.  The anatomicals are nothing more than an adjustable glove grip style stock that has been accepted and successful everywhere.

Before the sh*testorm starts I'll tell you that I'm a graduate physical anthropologist and physiology is no mystery to me.  Vertical grip stock are ergonomically superior in every way in terms of normal human skeletal/musculature configurations and that the more the grip slides to the game gun straight stock the more NON-ergonomic the tool becomes.  Ask yourself - why do pistols have pistol grip stocks when something sticking straight out the back parallel to the barrel would be so much easier to make?

or you can shoot a straight grip game gun stock if you still think pistol grips are a downside

or you can accept that evolution and selection in target guns is brutal and anatomical stocks have passed the test.

Likely not JMO 

Hi, 

I wanted to buy a new 725 Adj Sporter, but I am now considering looking for decent used Browning/Beretta and having a custom stock made for it.

I like the idea of the EvoComp. It's ugly as hell, but the adjustability appeals to me. 

Does the grip design of the EvoComp lend itself to FITASC? It seems like it locks up the wrist, which leads to consistency when mounting the gun. The EvoComp seems to have a following within the skeet and trap community, but I'm struggling to find sporting clay shooters that talk about their experience.

Will the EvoComp grip work well with all the different target presentations in FITASC & Compak or am I better off with a more traditional stock design?  

Cheers

By all means try but I fancy you’ll struggle. It’s not so much the position of the hand but the inability to move it comfortably as the gun’s mounted. 

The advantage of a glove grip is that it locks the hand very firmly in position. That’s great when shooting pre mounted. For anything that requires even slight rotational movement of the hand I doubt it’ll work and will probably be quite painful.

Find one, fit it and see what you think though.

Pistol grips/stocks are not the best example - I understand there is an ideal grip angle which the (old) Luger and newer Steyr M pistels use but that the more upright grip is historically to assist the magazine feed where the ammunition is best stacked on top of the last round and not staggered prompting misfeeds. I think Jan has hit the issue on the head - its not the end position but the extent to which a "glove" grip would restrict you movement getting there. I would add that with fitasc and sporting the clays are presented at different heights (bunnies, high teals etc) which the glove grip may make harder or easier to get onto.

Yes but he's shooting skeet. The the stock fits perfectly when gun up at the height set by the skeet layout. He has a nice 'muscle memory' bayonet mount.

I'm not sure he would find his grip as comfortable and/or helpful if somebody surprised him with a teal on asked him to look down below is feet.

I'm no instructor but I don't care how uncomfortable I am when I call pull - I just want to be in the right place when I pull the trigger. With a glove grip I would be a little worried that with high & low clays it would not always work in a predictable mannor.

11 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

Mr. Hancock does not seem to suffer from any disability with low gun - I wonder how he manages?

Love seeing his video's ,awsome shot ,not herd how many sporting comps hes won internationally though😯

Bens answered the question above.

Well, his wikipedia sums it up nicely:

Performance timeline[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]

Skeet[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]

Vincent Hancock at the 2008 Summer Olympics men's skeet finals

Olympic Games

Not held

16px-Gold_medal_icon.svg.png
 Gold
121+24

Not held

Gold
123+25

Not held

15th

Not held

World Championships

123+25

Not held

16px-Bronze_medal_icon.svg.png
 Bronze
123+24

Not held

Gold
124+25

5th
123+24

67th

10th

9th

Gold
122(16)+16

Gold
125+59

Pan American Games/COTA

Gold
121+25

Not held

Gold
122+25

Not held

Not held

Gold
122+25

Not held

Not held

Not held

Not held

World Cup 1

Gold
124+25

28th

4th
121+21

4th
122+24

7th

11th

Gold
123+59

Gold
125(16)+16

4th
121(14)+14

Gold
123+59

World Cup 2

16px-Silver_medal_icon.svg.png
 Silver
124+24

5th
120+24

10th

33rd

4th
122+24

12th

4th
123(15)+14

5th
122(14)

Gold
123+59

World Cup 3

Gold
123+25

Gold
125+25

Gold
123+24

4th
123+21

41st

44th

Bronze
123(15)+16

Gold
123+56

World Cup 4

Gold
124+25

10th

Bronze
122+25

69th

33rd

Gold
124(16)+15

World Cup Final

Silver
123+25

NQ

DNS

Silver
123+24

Silver
122+21

Silver
122+24

Silver
123(16)+15

5th
121(14)

On top of that he is world record holder with 185 out of.... 185 at Acapulco a few years back, so I suppose he knows a thing or two. The idea that you are only holding the gun "aimed" in Skeet does not apply to Olympic skeet. English skeet just em... isn't the same. I know the above isn't Sporting competitions, but I wouldn't wager against him or his gun if and when he competes in any clay discipline. 

I am in Wonko's camp on this one and yes, I have shot both skeet and sporting clays (nothing extreme but the regular layouts that include all directions) with an Evocomped Krieghoff. (Not my gun, before anyone asks.) I enjoyed it as to me, the pointing part of point, track, shoot just feels easier. So much so that I have a Evocomp on order. I do intend to mainly shoot Olympic Skeet with it, but I mix it up when I can (trap, compac and sporting) and won't pass up an opportunity to see what a 'wrong' piece of equipment for the job can do...  

Usain bolt is extremely fast in puma running spikes I guess with the logic then they be great for the marathon road race ??
All I'm saying is that Usain would still outrun me by a long shot, even is he was wearing Crocs. That said, I have tried an Ergosign fitted K-gun at sporting and found it quite comfortable across the board. I'm not among the greats of the sport, so maybe I'm just unaware of that I should be doing something different with my right hand and grip for different presentations in Sporting (which I don't).   

Usain bolt is extremely fast in puma running spikes I guess with the logic then they be great for the marathon road race ??
FAscinatin' analogy !  Mr. k80ben  I'm not dis'n your opinion I'm just saying that it is at odds with human physiology as  generally known. There is no doubt that what you use works just fine for you but dismissing the anatomical grip is much more like saying that monte carlo combs are (or not) totally unsuitable for a particular clays game.  No matter what sort of shoes Mr. Bolt favors.

I would also point out that a palm swell forces the hand into the same position every time and is quite strange feeling if that is not accommodated.  Exactly as does a glove grip.  Does your K80 have a palm swell?  If so, do you defeat it by misplacing your hand?

OK - that's it for me   :hunter:

Thank you for all the replies. 

@Wonko the Sane how forgiving will the gloved grip be when shooting down or up at a steep angle? 

It's difficult for me to ignore Ben's opinion. I have to admit that there is a bit of confirmation bias involved. The EvoGrip has been around long enough to have had the opertunity to add a couple of Sporting Clay titles along the trap and skeet titles on their website. Yet, there is not a single SC title. Could it be that the shooters winning those titles prefer not to use the EvoGrip or grips like it?

I have no doubt that the average shooter is not going to notice the difference. I definitely won't at this stage. I do however want to go as high as possible in the sport, and it would be silly to invest time on a grip that will eventually hold me back when a single clay at a weird angle matters. 

A member on this here forum has been kind enough to offer me the opportunity to try his EvoGrip on a stand or three. I am open to having my mind changed, but as it is now, I am leaning towards having a made to measure stock made instead. 

FAscinatin' analogy !  Mr. k80ben  I'm not dis'n your opinion I'm just saying that it is at odds with human physiology as  generally known. There is no doubt that what you use works just fine for you but dismissing the anatomical grip is much more like saying that monte carlo combs are (or not) totally unsuitable for a particular clays game.  No matter what sort of shoes Mr. Bolt favors.

I would also point out that a palm swell forces the hand into the same position every time and is quite strange feeling if that is not accommodated.  Exactly as does a glove grip.  Does your K80 have a palm swell?  If so, do you defeat it by misplacing your hand?

OK - that's it for me   :hunter:
No no palm

swell for me or on my clients guns. Being locked in on sporting is a major disadvantage. Shooting below feet then a 100ft driven your hand placement and wrist action needs to move 

Sadly our much missed contributor Hamster is no longer with us, but he swore by his PFS stock and he certainly didn't miss much on a reg sporting course.

But whilst I don't do much reffing these days - even without Covid - I have worked at 100s of reg sporting shoots and I have to say that in my experience, ergonomic stocks really are a rarity.

As for palm swells I dislike the intrusive ones, but the small swell that CGs have fit my hand sweetly and I like the positive location they provide.

Back