Even more exciting news

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicola,

No one needed to tell EJC about the cage construction .

It is in the rules which ought to be read by anyone organising any event. READ THE RULES.

Paul,

As you well know, it is possible to transport you and your chair practically anywhere with a Kubota or such like.

If you are constructing a shooting stand, it is a relatively small job to level the area and put down some bark or chippings.

Oh dear... I give up...and i mean 'I give up'....

Ifor Williams flatbed trailer is not a brilliant idea. It is common sense.

This shoot was held on a farming estate, surely they had a stock trailer with a drop down rear door loading ramp?

Sorry Nicola I have to disagree. I have lung disease so phoned Churchills a few days before to enquire as to the lie of the land. Hills are an issue for me. I was assured if I had problems at any point transport would be provided. Due to our start point up the steepest part on stand 6, it meant we had to return to it a second time to finish layout. The first walk up I did but with a struggle so asked for transport for the return journey to be told they hadn't got anything to take me up - only to the bottom. It wasn't welcome information at the end of a way too long shoot with far too much queuing. It made me feel really unwell.

Sorry to hear that Emma. I had no trouble with transport. Also saw plenty of 4x4's around on a continual cycle on the Saturday at the last stand on Blue taking people up to one or back to the arena.

Glad you enjoyed the shoot though (i saw from FB).

To be told you could have transport and then not provide it, is not good enough.
In my opinion I think some of the stands were on quite a slant and I wondered at the time how a wheel chair user would manage.

Nicola I don't think you saw any transport going up the hill? There was plenty around the rest of the course.

And yes, I really enjoyed the rest of the event, it was a cracking weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
As an able bodied shooter I really really enjoyed the shoot. It was terrific. Loved it. Was brilliant. Wish I could shoot it again and conquer the targets that conquered me!

However, I commented a few times that it would have been impossible for disabled shooters.

Firstly, the stands were not flat - around half were at jaunty angles (this is bad for disabled sitting but also many disabled standing)

Secondly, red course 1-5 inaccessible (I presume due to heavy rain leaving surface unsafe rather than due to slope per se)

Thirdly, on the blue course there was a very low green target on peg 5 or 6. No wheelchair user would have had a hope in hell of seeing it. I only saw about half its flight.

General wheelchair accessibility would have been near impossible. I noted it would have been very very tough for friends who whilst not wheel chair bound are restricted.

It was a fantastic shoot. They did a brilliant job for us able bodies shooters but EJC and CPSA should have done better for those less able. Hopefully they'll learn the lesson for future. I hope EJC get more majors!

Nicola I don't think you saw any transport going up the hill? There was plenty around the rest of the course.

And yes, I really enjoyed the rest of the event, it was a cracking weekend
I along with many others went up the hill from the last stand on Blue in transport. They were on a continual circuit in those buggies as well... taking shooters who had started on other stands back up to one.

I think the course was made on a circuit to walk down hill to make it easier.

There was also the main game wagons that came down to the last stand to ferry people as well, but they were sometimes on a longer time loop because of going back to the arena with people who had finished.

Of course there was a wait for the vehicles to do the route....but there was lots of shooting to watch whilst waiting at the last stand.

The blue course was, broadly, accessible - it was the red course that wasn't - stands 1 to 5.

Did you visit 'The Hill' Nicola on red? I heard many a fit person comment it was a killer!! No issues with blue at all and we didn't wait for transport at all!

Did you visit 'The Hill' Nicola on red? I heard many a fit person comment it was a killer!! No issues with blue at all and we didn't wait for transport at all!
No I talked about Blue course.
Sporting has always been difficult discipline for anyone who has any form of a disability when on a green field site.....FITASC Worlds also ......especially places like Konopiste...(.I struggled up that hill...when I was a lot fitter than I am now) and some sporting or Fitasc stands are often 'not' on flat land at major international shoots. That is just a part of the sport we all love.

I have no idea the stats on people who shot with difficulties......but......one thing that has been crystal clear across all the social media sites reporting on this shoot.....is that it has been a resounding success.

I would hate to see a time when shooters were not allowed to take part in these major international shoots because of their difficulties......or because anyone was not seen to be of a AA class standard. These shoots on greenfield sites are what makes them the best in the world to compete in. At the moment they are open to all.....and long may they continue to be so.

The Terrain is what makes a good shoot fantastic.....and granted it could be difficult for some....for many reasons....age, health etc....but a World Championship is put on to find the best in the World........and in this case.....I think they did.

IMHO.

Last edited:
The terrain was superb - I do not disagree in any way whatsoever.  We all agree Churchills did an excellent job with this event. Of course the reports of the event are so fantastic from the masses, the majority of able bodied shooters were able to get around.  For them it was exemplary. 

However, whilst you say you would hate to see a time when shoots were not accessible to  people because of their difficulties... it clearly wasn't accessible to all.    And for the disabled shooters to be told at very short notice (Friday evening)  stands 1-5 on red deemed unsafe and they needed to either shoot around them or have a refund is totally unacceptable.  If the event is being sold to disabled shooters, don't pull that class or make it virtually worthless shooting it at the 11th hour.  If they take the money, provide the service sold. Simple - as with everything else in life. 

So, to clarify, this isn't questioning whether this shoot was World Class - clearly it was.  Was is a success though - again, yes, if you are lucky enough to be able bodied - without a doubt. 

There was a disabled class sold - that class should have been provided.  A World event should be leading the way here, without a doubt.  What would you be saying to the Americans if they had a disabled shooter who couldn't shoot I wonder? 

Last edited by a moderator:
But a world championship is put on to find the best in the world

What a totally degrading post for the other 95 per cent of us who have absolutely no chance of winning but we enjoy taking part

So Nicola according to you the world should be with the top 20 uk shooters and sod the rest of us able bodied and disabled about right comment from you !

But a world championship is put on to find the best in the world

What a totally degrading post for the other 95 per cent of us who have absolutely no chance of winning but we enjoy taking part

So Nicola according to you the world should be with the top 20 uk shooters and sod the rest of us able bodied and disabled about right comment from you !
That is not what I said at all. If you read it again...I said that it is a shoot for all. That is the best part of the shoot. I said if you read it again...that I would hate it to ever become a closed shoot to teams and top shots only.

This has been one of the best shoots we have seen in this country for sometime.

As for disabled shooting...I have been a big supporter for years and years....and started the disabled fundraising project that is currently on going where we have now raised £1500 in a less than a month Harry.

I am not sure how you could have read the posts sooooooo wrong....!

To be honest Nicola its probably because I know of your hard work for the disabled shooters fund raising, particularly at the moment,  that I'm surprised at this!

To be honest Nicola its probably because I know of your hard work for the disabled shooters fund raising, particularly at the moment,  that I'm surprised at this!
Not sure I understand?

You of all people have worked hard at raising the issues of disabled shooters. I'm not sure why you are defending or perhaps not understanding the oversights at this event that affected those less able to get around? I think maybe if you had seen the red course you might understand better?!

Really sad to read some of these comments, I was buggy driver on red course between stand 14-1. I had a busy schedule keeping squads moving so I was unable to deviate massively, but I helped less abled people where possible (10-11). But with regards to disabled shooters there were 2 staff with 2 man buggies assigned in advance to disabled shooters, taking them to EVERY stand. It appears a breakdown in communication or not getting the correct person when first enquiring about access to the course.

Back