Essex Masters 2013 - Open Thread

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Starting an Open Thread for the Essex Masters.

Starts Wednesday 10th April - through Sunday 14th April

£28,000 prize pool  / £75 for 200 targets.

Who's going?

I'm booked in for 10th April at 09.10  hope to see some more ShootClayers attending this over the days... look forward to hearing reviews, scores and feedback from what looks like a great event.

Booked on for 9.30 am start on the Sunday . I like shooting the last day because I can watch shoot offs and be present at the awards.

Hi guys - currently looking at booking in (Sat/Sun), not shot this one before - and after some advice!  

1. It's 200 clays - is it better to shoot on the same day, or over 2 days?

2. Looking at accommodation close to the ground - anyone stayed locally before? or live close that can offer any help?

right off to investigate further!

Hi guys - currently looking at booking in (Sat/Sun), not shot this one before - and after some advice!  

1. It's 200 clays - is it better to shoot on the same day, or over 2 days?

2. Looking at accommodation close to the ground - anyone stayed locally before? or live close that can offer any help?

right off to investigate further!
hi sampop i have shot  it over 2 days before and stayed in the holiday day inn in colchester about 20 mins from essex masters ground.

hi sampop i have shot  it over 2 days before and stayed in the holiday day inn in colchester about 20 mins from essex masters ground.

Thanks for the info Jonesy! Calling tomorrow to book in!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

All 200 in one day is very do-able.

The shoot normally runs like clockwork, and usually there is plenty of time for a relaxed lunch and even a go or three on the Pool Shoot before tackling the second (and completely different) hundred.

We are shooting it all on Sunday 14th.

All 200 in one day is very do-able.

The shoot normally runs like clockwork, and usually there is plenty of time for a relaxed lunch and even a go or three on the Pool Shoot before tackling the second (and completely different) hundred.

We are shooting it all on Sunday 14th.
Not so sure about that.

Shot this last year on the sunday for the first time.200 in one day is defo do-able,had a lot of queing and the last four stands on the last lay out, there was four squads waiting to shoot and wasn't allowed to go to the next stand and come back had to be done in order, the relaxed lunch no chance 10 minutes and off again,our squad 15 ended up in front of squad 14 on the second lay out because they couldn't be found.

Probably give it a miss this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame you had a bad experience.

Must admit I didn't shoot it last year but have shot it three times previously, always 200 in one day, and always had a good experience in terms of the organising.

Just shows there may be a bit of luck involved as to when you shoot.

For people coming from further away then making a weekend of it sounds a great idea, shooting 100 each day. That would be a very relaxed way to shoot it, and probably how we would do it if we were travelling any real distance.

Of course on a shoot that size I guess it wouldn't take much, such as a trap breakdown, to throw a spanner in the works?

Hope it works out well for everybody who is going  :)

I think they're not over keen on having too many Sunday entries for the full 200 anyway. I love doing the full menu in the same day but the only trouble is the 2.5 - 3 hour drive first thing in the morning to make a morning start means I have rarely done any one round justice.

Not saying i would never shoot it again,but first impressions mmm.

If i done the 200 in a day again i would not pick the sunday.

Apparently all the other days last year were ok.

Yeah :smile:  - just booked in for 9:50 (which seems odd compared to some of the times above!) on Saturday the 13th, doing the 200 on the same day.

See you there!

Have shot this for the last two years and on each occasion did the 200 in one day. Great event and really well organised. I would agree with a couple of the earlier posts insofar as the time available for lunch and a well deserved break has been between 10 and 15 mins. Not nearly enough of a break when you factor in 2 hours plus of shooting and a bit of a slog back to the car park to grab sarnies and restock the shells for the pm. No problem sleeping that night though.

Will be going back for som more punishment on the Saturday but not booked a time yet.

Great shoot and wouldn't miss it! :biggrin: Last year we shot it over 2 days though - the previous 2 years, they were looking for our squad to shoot the 2nd 100 whilst we were still walking back from the last stand on the 1st layout :wild: - that was a bit hectic!

Hmmm  -  getting a bit worried about all the comments of having no decent break. Have not experienced that before personally and . . . . . believe me . . . . .  I don't do hectic  :blind:

Oh well. I won't pre-judge, just hope for a good 'un  :biggrin:

I shot it the year before last and due to a trap breakdown only had about 15-20 minutes break between rounds. Still enough for a sarnie and a brew though.

I've shot this for the last 3-4 years and usually start at 09:00 -09:30 on the Friday (booked for the same this year). It's a 1.5 hour drive for me but I'm an early riser anyway so get there in plenty of time. Usually end up either first or second squad out, (shot same squad as Hamster last year). Breezed round with no rush and I guess due to early start had a good long break in the middle and all done by 15:00 - 15:30 so I guess if you like a more relaxed round book in a bit earlier if able to.

As others have mentioned,if there are breakdowns - they fix them fairly swiftly but given the vast numbers to get through it wouldn't take long for a backlog to build.

Any who haven't shot there, may be good as a taster to this years BO in Aug / Sep

Cheers

PS Hammy, Mark D and I are booked in the second squad out on the Friday if interested.

Back