English Open at Southdown 2014

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithers

Well I must say to start this topic of 'who on earth' put or decided to put on a major shoot on a bloody bank holiday weekend !!! Where the hell is there any common sense ! Oh yes let's put the English on at a southern coast venue to cap it of !! 4hrs journey down and 6hrs journey back last night 'great' and let's just make it even better targets you struggle to see and once again the same course setter putting targets on some stands where members in the squad never pulled the trigger on !!! Set courses by all means tough for major but not bloody eye sight tests 'Were not all 20 ish' !!!!! Then let's have 2hr squad rotations ? Oh yes squads which take 3hrs plus to shoot 100 !!! You would struggle to shoot a normal registered in 2hrs let alone a busy major, do the CPSA who wouldn't survive without it members not realise this is meant to be a enjoyable sport 'A hobby' which we invest a lot hard earned money into and time, I suggest the CPSA do the same, it was also nice to see all the trade stands and razzmatazz of a big championship ! Oh I just woke up !!! Absolute joke, and why oh why can't the system run like the Essex Masters all start on stand 1 at 10 min rotations, oh yes I no why because it works and it's to logical !!!!

End of rant and £150 day (fuel, cartridges, entry fee & crap food)

As I have put on another post have not shot the enlish open for afew years iff its as bad as some reports dont think ill bother your post is very informative atb

21/2 hours to get there 71/2to get home not sure what your moaning about the seeing of targets? All we done was asked the ref to tell us when it got there to which he did simple!

Never seen so many no birds in a shoot in my life

Stand 4 targets hit trees & broke most time but apparently moved traps later to solve that one!

Stand 14 watched a guy break the first bird of a pair must be 8 times second bird never came when I shot it just told ref to keep trying til it came then shot them joke?

But Mark Winsor found them so couldn't have been that bad

I'll get my coat!

Maybe they reckoned more folk would be able to make a bank holiday weekend, unlike us (wannabe/semi) retired old farts. Can't come up with an excuse for the trap setting though except maybe wind conditions changed between setting them up and the start of shooting.

The scores look to me to be reflecting a very good shoot with people carding exactly the right scores for their classifications.

Tough but fair?

Only the very top scores are in the places they should be! Loads and loads of aaa and aa shots in the 70s and very low 80s :s

So not hitting the expected averages for them!!

I'm only reading terrible reports of this event. Apart from CPSA tweeting me to tell me its great. 

Well I must say to start this topic of 'who on earth' put or decided to put on a major shoot on a bloody bank holiday weekend !!! Where the hell is there any common sense ! Oh yes let's put the English on at a southern coast venue to cap it of !! 4hrs journey down and 6hrs journey back last night 'great' and let's just make it even better targets you struggle to see and once again the same course setter putting targets on some stands where members in the squad never pulled the trigger on !!! Set courses by all means tough for major but not bloody eye sight tests 'Were not all 20 ish' !!!!! Then let's have 2hr squad rotations ? Oh yes squads which take 3hrs plus to shoot 100 !!! You would struggle to shoot a normal registered in 2hrs let alone a busy major, do the CPSA who wouldn't survive without it members not realise this is meant to be a enjoyable sport 'A hobby' which we invest a lot hard earned money into and time, I suggest the CPSA do the same, it was also nice to see all the trade stands and razzmatazz of a big championship ! Oh I just woke up !!! Absolute joke, and why oh why can't the system run like the Essex Masters all start on stand 1 at 10 min rotations, oh yes I no why because it works and it's to logical !!!!

End of rant and £150 day (fuel, cartridges, entry fee & crap food)
+1 on the eye sight test. When I go to a comp I go to try and shoot better than anyone else, not to see if my eyesight is better than anyone else's

Just got back from shooting this event, difficult to know where to start, definitely a course of two halves, stands 9 to 14 were quite good, stand fifteen in the sun was an eye sight test on the second target but stands 1 to 8 were probably the most uninspiring targets I have seen for a while, it was like trap in the trees! And whoever thought it would be a good idea to let the retarded tw*t monkey number the stands! 1,8,7,6,2,3, back up to 4 and back on yourself for 5.

Shame because it had the opportunity of being a great shoot, oh and Mark Winsers 98, is unbelievably good shooting, no way was that score on.

Steve help restore everyone faiths at the British Open at Garlands!

HA Glad I stayed at home and cut the grass before the European in Cyprus I did tell you It would be shi*t Matt.

I do hope Steve Lovatt has read these posts as everyone is hoping the classic restores faith in a decent championship where you have time on the target and can actually see what you shoot..... It would be nice to finally enjoy a shoot & feel you haven't been totally done over...

The big difference between the two is that there will be a response to the comments made about the Classic from the person who organised it. It is unlikely that there will be any from this weekends shoot.

Well done JKC :) . I enjoyed it overall. There were a few irritations already stated such as the weird numbering order and squads out of sequence and a couple of stands where I could not see the clays until the very last second by which time it was over because I am not fast enough to do anything about it. My score reflected my ability with perhaps a few lost through stupidity - must remember to double barrel where I have a better chance of getting it than going for the second one but it is so tempting just to give them all a go. We definitely had the better weather on Sunday which helped. My squad was lovely and were all much better than me so I got to watch some good shooting particularly Mr Bunning whose shooting was a pleasure to watch.

Back