English and British open sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deershooter

Can any one tell me why these are 120 bird competitions? we don't have 120 skeet or 120 DTL OR 120 Sport trap ,the only conclusion I can come to is its to make more money for the host ground .

Deershooter

Where ever the British is held, lots of people will be traveling a long way to get there, getting 15 stands to shoot and 4 pairs on every stand is an appealing format...

Always the negativity, Deershooter.

Skeet, DTL and STR are shot in rounds of 25.  I expect you know that.  25 doesn't divide into 120.  I expect you know that too.

What James said.  Think about it.  Less queuing, generally smoother flow.

We all know how dreadful these ground owners are, how they rip us off every weekend, taking advantage of us poor, penniless shooters.  Why can't they subsidise our hobby?  Bastards!  They should be banned from owning shooting grounds.  Money grubbing ratbags.

I propose 125 then... that'll make everyone happy (although I expect not). 

Can any one tell me why these are 120 bird competitions? we don't have 120 skeet or 120 DTL OR 120 Sport trap ,the only conclusion I can come to is its to make more money for the host ground .

Deershooter

Deershooter,

You really do need to understand the structuring & logistics of hosting any event of such scale...... 

The CPSA invites shooting grounds to tender for these events, its just like any other business, their isnt a price picked out of thin air for these shoots, its exactly the same process with the regional events too, so your comments of making more money for the host ground is a very short sighted one im afraid !!

Its quite obvious that I don't fit in to your little club here !

I ask a reasonable question and what do I get a load of twatish remarks the British and English open sporting was 100 birds as was all comps apart from double rise and hellis fot over 80 years so why the change? 4 pairs of 15 stands is boring much better format to have 4 pair ,3 pairs or some stands 4 birds singles full use of the gun that's a realistic approach to ENGLISH SPORTING when did 4 pairs of real birds fly over a gun all the same

I would of expected a more positive reply from some one who is admin

Sorry not wearing this one let's take a 100 bird shoot at £40 which is expensive add £10 to the prize fund from each entery (that's £15 now not the £10 that the CPSA pay back ) that's £9 for 20 birds on the British open price and you tell me it's not to make money

I thought James' response was quite good.  I like to be able to shoot more than a 100 and yes travelling far distances does make it more worthwhile if you are offered more targets.  Maybe I am greedy!  I think a lot of sporting shooters like the 120 bird competitions.  

I propose 125 then... that'll make everyone happy (although I expect not). 

I find that outrageous to be honest. 

I would have to then buy ANOTHER box of cartridges, in order to have 5 spares for no birds and so on.

Clearly, this would be collusion between the grounds and cartridge manufacturers, to grab yet more money from us.

I personally would not shoot at any ground that that throws 125 targets, even if they had naked women pushing their buttons at each stand.

Clay shooting is MY sport/hobby and as such, those that provide me a place to partake of said hobby, should do so for the love of it and not be afforded a living that extends beyond paying their bills and enough bread and cheese to sustain them.

125 targets indeed, facking cheek!! . . .

Its quite obvious that I don't fit in to your little club here !

I ask a reasonable question and what do I get a load of twatish remarks the British and English open sporting was 100 birds as was all comps apart from double rise and hellis fot over 80 years so why the change? 4 pairs of 15 stands is boring much better format to have 4 pair ,3 pairs or some stands 4 birds singles full use of the gun that's a realistic approach to ENGLISH SPORTING when did 4 pairs of real birds fly over a gun all the same

I would of expected a more positive reply from some one who is admin
Lighten up fella - I might run the forum, but I also like a laugh.  I am entitled to a sense of humour (however poor), it should be my prize for paying out of my own pocket to run this for everyone each month, and give you the opportunity to give your views on a free platform. 

If you want my opinion... I think the English Open and the British Open should be 150 or 200 targets, they should stretch the shooter, and make more of a day out for everyone - and they should be more expensive, so they can be better... and we should expect more from them - better prizes, better goodie bags, a nice badge - whatever floats your boat and tickles your fancy.  We should be able to hold the ground owners and the CPSA accountable for making better events, but they need the support to do that. 

We should be proud to shoot the major events, and proud to have our names on the same score list as the greatest shooters in the country (or the world) - they should be our PREMIUM events.  The grounds should be proud to hold them, and the governing bodies should support the grounds in order to make the events as perfect as possible - including accessibility (which is not easy in a country/rural sport). 

I honestly don't care if a ground owner earns more money out of running a major - as someone who put their money on the line last year running a (minor) major, I know how much sweat, effort and arse-twitching nervousness it takes to run a major - if one of the ground owners makes a few extra quid - then god bless them for having the cojones to run an event. 

You, my friend, seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the majors - and I get it, if they are not accessible and well run - we should ALL hold the right people accountable - but moaning on and on, and getting upset when people have a different opinion to yours is not going to do it. 

Above all else - relax when people have a laugh... it's not a personal affront at you.  This is the internet after all, nothing important happens here. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Deershooter
Math obviously isn't one of your strengths...all of the disciplines you mention are shot in multipals of 25 :D

As for birds not flying over in pairs 4 times in a row...what's that got to do with clay shooting in 2015?!?! The sport maybe started out as game bird simulation, it's moved way past that, as a target sport, a long time ago!!!

Deershooter, listening to you anybody would think that shooting the British Open was compulsory, that you were being forced to pay the money, that someone was making you go there and shoot 120 clays against your will...the fact is, there will be over 1000 people there, from not just England, not just the UK, but all over the world to shoot it, all wanting to win there class, this year, all wanting to shoot well enough to go back on the Sunday and shoot another 75 in the final...so there must be something right about the format !?!? :D

Well said teepee, these ground owners work darned hard for our pleasure on Saturdays, Sunday's , and even weekdays now, and without them there would be no clayshooting, so keep up the good work for our pleasure!!!!

And i thought the extra 20 targets was so that the top shots might miss an extra one or two, so as not to have so many shoot-offs. 

Indeed 'sporting' has moved on now in its own right - Thats why there are what some would call silly targets - BUT they are there to be hit (or attempted) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Math obviously isn't one of your strengths...all of the disciplines you mention are shot in multipals of 25 :D

As for birds not flying over in pairs 4 times in a row...what's that got to do with clay shooting in 2015?!?! The sport maybe started out as game bird simulation, it's moved way past that, as a target sport, a long time ago!!!

Deershooter, listening to you anybody would think that shooting the British Open was compulsory, that you were being forced to pay the money, that someone was making you go there and shoot 120 clays against your will...the fact is, there will be over 1000 people there, from not just England, not just the UK, but all over the world to shoot it, all wanting to win there class, this year, all wanting to shoot well enough to go back on the Sunday and shoot another 75 in the final...so there must be something right about the format !?!? :D
Ok then why don't we have 125 sport trap or 125 of anything

for once in a long  time i agree with something you say  !!! you are quite correct you dont fit in here so piss off and cast your black shadows somewhere else !!!

this forum is run by and supported by forward thinking people that want to see our game progress and go forward , so i would suggest you join a little club somewhere you can shoot 25 for £2.50 and be happy , that is if any little club will have you 

steve

Back