eley superb felt what else compares

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have as you know tried a few, and without going past mid price cartridges  found the superb fibres excellent, as I only do 50/60 birders and 99% fibre only I generaly use budget shells for the close or full face etc birds but keep a handfull of superbs 7.5 in a pocket for edge on and distant stuff, they dont dissapoint.

I'm looking forward to the day when I'm good enough to tell the difference between cartridges! 😄 Nearly always got TT1 28g fibres cos they come out the end okay and don't cost a bomb, yesterday bought a slab of Hull Superfast and couldn't tell any difference whatsoever between the two on any working front. Some must make a difference to those who know, but I'm not in that league yet. :)

get a long edge on clay and I would be using the superfast, like you I go for fun, hence I like to use a good budget cartridge as it makes sence, but...had a few express golds in my spare pocket last sunday, broke a mini 3x3 a fair way out going away, the third was a puff of smoke, luck was on my side with that one, but I wouldnt get that sort of hard break or smoke with all brands.

I too am very very much on a budget, second hand everything, I dont let that stop me enjoying and trying to get a good score whilst not letting it affect my attitude towards others,  I try to improve on stands and realise my faults, of which in life I have many !  too those that can go claying several times a week ,damn good luck to you, none of us know whats around the corner for us.

Some days your the dog and other days your the lamp post !  enjoy the day thats the main thing.

Absolutely, concour with everything you say!

Ironically, yesterday was a solo play as everyong else I know has a regular week job or are buggering off to Berretta World (where my dirty, filthy B525 isn't welcome 😁), and I did exactly that with the Superfast: there was a long edge on that I couldn't hit the last few times but I smashed it straight away with the Superfast again & again... until I tried it with some TT1's and got the same result, so it was obviously me!! :D

Oddly enough, I had the same experience on a few other tricky buggers yesterday: a distance teal/looper thing that I embarrassed myself on by watching three old fellas struggle like hell with it before they wished me luck. I commented that I couldn't hit them for toffee either last week... then promptly smoked 4 in a row before turning round and found them watching me! When you're not the lamp post... should have bought a lottery ticket! :D

End of the day, it very much felt that it was always me, not the cartridge cos I'd crack it with the Superfast, then do exactly the same with the TT1. Hopefully, that's a good thing... less to mess with my head!

its going to be a rare thing when the cartridge is at fault, just some brands do seem to pattern better through certain tubes,or thats the impression I get going by how hard the breaks are at distance as well as close up. I tried a box of the gamebore 26gramm load marked 7 1/2, must admit was astounded at some of the breaks and at the current price think I will be getting a slab or two , fibre wads as ever, and fo me no noticeable recoil.    for local 50 birders its hard to ignore sub £200 cartridge that does the business thats for sure.

Finally got arount to trying 50 hull pro fibres,marked shot size 8, as usual just a local 50 birder, first thing to say  is how super soft/smooth the recoil was, possibly the least or percieved by me softest of all the 28 gm fibre loads I have tried, you would have to compare back to back through your own tubes against comp x or the eley select to find which was softest for your self.

How did they go, well very well, so much so that got a new pb for me at that venue of 40(x50),as usual through lack of concentration dropped 3 gimme birds(duh) , yes only 1 up from previous but they are certainly very very nice to use, if I were going to a "proper" registered shoot that was fibre only competition wouldnt hesitate to recomend giving them a try. didnt get the clouds of smoke I got from eley superbs or express power gold,fiochi f black, but there again that could be just me being a few inches of, but really good breaks and super on recoil, yes I reckon I could use 100 a day and not be beat up...horses for courses eh.

have fun,enjoy,cheers for now.🙂

it just goes to prove things re recoil, now in winter with jacket, jumper and skeet vest I noticed no recoil or lets say some slight recoil with express blues, went out today, unexpectedly, so grabbed one box fiochi 8s(8.5?) fibre and two boxes express golds 7.5 fibre, 60 birder, using the fiochi slight recoil, now its a warm day just sweater and skeet vest, the golds I found were kicking more than normal, didnt over think it just concentrated on the birds, dipping into which ever pocket the target suited...afterwards I thought well strange they were kicking more so than I normally would expect..emptied the bag to find I had used two boxes of express blues...not golds, hmm.

now I did look down when loading and see blue but it just didnt click as concentration was on lead picture ! the one thing that does really really notice though in the same get up(clothes) the recoil on the hull pro fibres was way less....hmmm. but similar good breaks.

Sorry for the long delay since last post , too busy , anyways used a slab of hull pro fibre 8s , well with out doubt super smooth recoil , from the breaks, excellent patterns using 1/4 and half, if you can afford them you wont be dissapointed thats for sure, will try and get some brognaghi and other fibre wads this year to try .  during the last few months I have been using the express power red/golds , certainly if on a budget and you dont like recoil both excellent , and if you want to cut down a bit more on price fiochhi tt in 8s for close stuff and the reds for longer/edgy birds , as usual I am talking fibre wad here.  cheers for now.

I shoot White Gold plas wad the majority of the time, but I just use the same in Fibre when required as I get the same velocity as well as recoil characteristics.

tried olympic blues years back and its the only cartridge that gives me an head ache ,although nowt wrong with the patterns etc, re white gold , yes in a perfect word I would use them but they are out of my budget , no doubt about quality there , at the moment using express gold fibre in 8s followed by power reds or superfast for long edgy stuff if needed , both chosen due to comfortable recoil along with reasonable price, the superfast being slightly bumpier.  eley superb fibres are as they are called but again getting spendy for occasional local straw balers as you guys call them.

enjoy

Hull Sporting 100 fibre - excellent. A bit cheaper than the pro's as well.

the pro s are silly monies but excellent, havent tried the 100s yet as none in stock last time , no doubt will sooner or later .thanks

Been a while, busy with other stuff ,you know how that goes , anyways had a chance to try some romagnola fibre marked 8s , 2.3mm. at £50 a slab why wouldnt you? Well got on well with them although more noticable recoil compared to say express golds ,but not uncomfortable, so did notice slightly more muzzle flip , breaks , really good on edgy 40 yarders, I got the impression they hold a good pattern purely because I had no chippy breaks, so I would say an all around great value for monies shell . 

Well its been a while ,like everyone else due to the outbreak, hope above all that everyone and their families are well, looking forward to getting out a few times at least this year and will update as and when . enjoy your claybusting when you get the chance , stay safe !

I used the Gamebore Evo 28g fibres recently. Almost disconcertingly smooth. The kills looked like more recoil should be accompanying it. I used a couple of Pro Fibres and couldn’t tell much difference. EVOs are £222/1000 at EJC

I used the Gamebore Evo 28g fibres recently. Almost disconcertingly smooth. The kills looked like more recoil should be accompanying it. I used a couple of Pro Fibres and couldn’t tell much difference. EVOs are £222/1000 at EJC
I used them too when I last visited EJC. Honestly thought they were a soft as the 21g CompX I had been using up until then, and the CompX is about as soft as I can think of

Slight differences between your experience and mine though. The misses looked like... just as sh*tty as any other cartridges I’ve used

Last edited by a moderator:
Will H , used them a few years back ,thanks for the reminder yes super smooth ,good breaks much like the pro fibre only reason I changed at the time was thought that for straw balers price was a bit steep ,but at £222 thats pretty good , certainly can be recomended for any one who doesnt like recoil , I certainly prefer a super soft shell for the first shot so gun hardly moves as I find it much easier to get on certain second targets faster .

Well for obvious reasons havent added much to this post lately , how ever did get to try some fibre wad rc romagialo marked 8 s, yup they kick but if you can put up with recoil or use an auto they certainly worked for me , went through a slab and no problems score wise ,budget price so the only thing to consider is do you mind recoil , obviously some dont seem to notice it so much and if your one of those lucky peoples give them a try, I was suprised at the great breaks at distance with 8s thats for sure. 

hopefully things will improve and we will all be able to get back to our pastime as per normal. stay safe everyone

tried olympic blues years back and its the only cartridge that gives me an head ache ,although nowt wrong with the patterns etc, re white gold , yes in a perfect word I would use them but they are out of my budget , no doubt about quality there , at the moment using express gold fibre in 8s followed by power reds or superfast for long edgy stuff if needed , both chosen due to comfortable recoil along with reasonable price, the superfast being slightly bumpier.  eley superb fibres are as they are called but again getting spendy for occasional local straw balers as you guys call them.

enjoy
Power golds are a great cartridges hit hard far better than their price,Sporting 100's a little softer but still a great cartridge.

Well for obvious reasons havent added much to this post lately , how ever did get to try some fibre wad rc romagialo marked 8 s, yup they kick but if you can put up with recoil or use an auto they certainly worked for me , went through a slab and no problems score wise ,budget price so the only thing to consider is do you mind recoil , obviously some dont seem to notice it so much and if your one of those lucky peoples give them a try, I was suprised at the great breaks at distance with 8s thats for sure. 

hopefully things will improve and we will all be able to get back to our pastime as per normal. stay safe everyone
Ed Solomons said he only shot 8's,seemed to do quite well with them...

Back