eley superb felt what else compares

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends where your based,but I know greenfields in salisbury had them in stock a while back. and greenfields are competative on cartridge prices I find.give them a bell if local to check stock

I really like Fiocchi Fblacks.

I started on the 24g as they are soo gentle on the shoulder, for a new shooter. 

I now shoot the 28g 8s for everything and I cannot fault them. Even my coach has started using them, as well as a couple of other shooters that I regularly shoot with. Again, these are very gentle on the shoulder.

I really like Fiocchi Fblacks.

I started on the 24g as they are soo gentle on the shoulder, for a new shooter. 

I now shoot the 28g 8s for everything and I cannot fault them. Even my coach has started using them, as well as a couple of other shooters that I regularly shoot with. Again, these are very gentle on the shoulder.
One of the hardest hitting cartridges I know. Dense patterns and they hit long stuff with aplomb.  I know several top shots that use them.  Easy on the shoulder and pocket but top performance.

Havent had a chance to chec k out the f blacks, are they available,fibre,in 7.5(english) as only seen them in 8.5s which supposedly translates to 8 english.? will try some when I get the chance.

Last edited:
Yes, they do fibre. I get the Italian 8s, which are 7.5. if I shoot at a fibre only ground. 

I usually get the plastic wad 8.5 which are our 8s. 

Havent had a chance to chec k out the f blacks, are they available,fibre,in 7.5(english) as only seen them in 8s which supposedly translates to 8.5 english.? will try some when I get the chance.
They do F-Blacks in Plastic 7.5 and 8.5 (UK 7 and 8s) and Fibres in 8.5 (UK 8's)

My Father says they are the best 'Crow' shell he's ever used the Fibre 8's and hes a retired Gamekeeper so they must hit!  I've used them in Fibres and found them to be as good a fibre as I had used.  HOwever I prefer Plastics and there is no denying how hard both the 7's and 8's hammer clays.  They hold a pattern very well at range.  

Thankyou sherriff 70 and GB, appreciated, will see if I can pick a few boxes up to try, rarely use plastic these days, is there much recoil on these loads or do they vary ,fibre versus plastic?

Thankyou sherriff 70 and GB, appreciated, will see if I can pick a few boxes up to try, rarely use plastic these days, is there much recoil on these loads or do they vary ,fibre versus plastic?
By comparison IMO Fibres are a little bit more punchy than plastics.  But the Fblack Fibres don't knock you around.  I just prefer plastics!

They are gentle on the shoulder. A couple of mates have back and neck problems, and they like them for that reason. I took a friend shooting who is new to the sport, and he thought the 24g were more gentle than the 21g cartridges they used for teaching newbies. 

thats good, not a fan of excessive recoil, doesnt help the neck or your scores I think. 

patterned a couple of cartridges today, not a real ten off each at specific range , but carboard at approx 20 yds, suprising result though ,with 1/2 teague choke,  game bore blue diamonds shot about a half choke pattern(according to eley pattern measurements in their diary), fibre wad that is,so checked out a eley superb in same barrel and distance, fibre wad, the pattern was about 5"( minimum) tighter diameter, no wonder I was getting good breaks on edgy birds, interestingly eley select threw patterns same diameter on gb.b.diamonds.

nice bit was the pattern was pretty central(flat), only slight deviation from my movement at a static target, so no adjustment needed there.which as I can see the rib was a suprise it wasnt more 60/40.

just shows it does pay to pattern a few of your favorites,but must admit better to do a more thorough check than I did, main reason I got onto it was my adjustable comb had worked loose so needed to check it was reset in proper cast position.

patterned a couple of cartridges today, not a real ten off each at specific range , but carboard at approx 20 yds, suprising result though ,with 1/2 teague choke,  game bore blue diamonds shot about a half choke pattern(according to eley pattern measurements in their diary), fibre wad that is,so checked out a eley superb in same barrel and distance, fibre wad, the pattern was about 5"( minimum) tighter diameter, no wonder I was getting good breaks on edgy birds, interestingly eley select threw patterns same diameter on gb.b.diamonds.

nice bit was the pattern was pretty central(flat), only slight deviation from my movement at a static target, so no adjustment needed there.which as I can see the rib was a suprise it wasnt more 60/40.

just shows it does pay to pattern a few of your favorites,but must admit better to do a more thorough check than I did, main reason I got onto it was my adjustable comb had worked loose so needed to check it was reset in proper cast position.
All same shot size? As in actual? Not just as written on box (beware UK and continental sizes). Biggest change you will find usually after fibre. 

the gamebore marked 8 actual 7.5,superbs marked 7.5 and are 7.5,the selects are 8s and havent checked them. bit tedious cutting ,measuring shot and counting, but its a confidence thing to trust what your putting in the chamber.

Well since the last post did try some express power blues, now these certainly slightly more recoil than all others so far ,bit more of a push than uncomfortable thats for sure, probably would say mid range recoil wise,and thats just me personally obviously, as for hits, really good so breaks/price this one is high on the list so far, as all others fibre wad,and size 7 1/2(marked)

will update as I try others along the way.👍

So went to a 50 bird .fibres only, started using blue diamond 7.5,wasnt doing very well but that could be me,anyways had 15 superbs left over in pocket so went on to use those,and straighted two stands,breaks were fantastic,then dropped one on the next,so superbs still have the edge so far,but might consider using less choke as they certainly are tight patterns in mine! also tried a few express power golds, again excellent breaks,it could be a coin flip between those two , certainly seems you get what you pay for with those  ,anyways as for the shoot really enjoyed it,although as ever at this time of the year packed/delays etc..

blue diamond were the softest recoil wise ,and as I got them heavily discounted a good buy,otherwise at normal rates for me so far it would be the eley or express . all personal preferance on this though.  have a good new year everyone.

my 

Hi

So instead of the usual I tried a couple of boxes of eley superbs 7 1/2 fibre wad at a sporting shoot, miroku with 1/4 and half, my score was about the same as normal, but what I did notice was less muzzle flip/recoil and certainly good breaks with edge on birds at say 40 yards.

my question would be what other brand would produce similar low recoil with hard hitting for edgy stuff,must be fibre. would just like to try a few differant brands before sticking to one make. and obviously budget comes into it in the real word.  thanks

my home loads beat anything you can buy i make my own shot and for just under £2.50 a box

sounds good..are you near me ! I could always test a few for you 😄

Back