eley superb felt what else compares

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

went out to a 50 birder,fibre wad as per usual, used the blue diamonds as I got 1k of them, didnt mix any other brands, my score was about average at this shoot 37x50, as usual missed 4 "gifts" ,but thats down to me, anyways blue diamonds ,general feeling was ok breaks ,light /medium recoil as percieved by me, so although ok to use I dont think these will be my go to fibre wad,especialy at the normal list price! I was using 8s which are actual english 7.5s.

after what seems like a month or more without claying,due to other commitments, I   went off to a 50 birder, fibre wads as usual, as I said earlier got 1k of blue diamonds ,marked 8s, to use so took 50 of those and half a box of express golds ,marked 7.5, well the differance on was chalk and cheese, the golds were giving dusters where as on same birds the b.diamonds were good breaks. So price wise out of those it would be express golds every time, certainly worth using if only on the edgy/longer birds.

really nice to get a few hours out and about with like minded people,  and yes same chokes as per usual 1/4 & 1/2, going buy the puffs of smoke with the golds it would be interesting to try them with more open chokes...

as stated before these are only my impressions, I am not putting x amount at a board/taking averages/counting pellets etc, just going on actual breaks on the day, recoil wise through my 8lb miroku wasnt noticable at all on either shell. but that may differ for differant folk/gun combinations.

will add more as and when...enjoy your clay days everyone.

Last edited:
I did a bit of an excersise along these lines a few years ago, trying a slab or two of many different fibre carts. The purpose was to find a sensible compromise, in this order: availability/price/cleanliness/effectiveness/recoil. 

To be honest, I can remember all of the ones I tried, but they included:

Express Power Blue/Red (didn't like them at all) Velocities, OK but a bit punchy (I hear they are better now, but can't get them locally) Fiocchi TT1 (OK in plaswad but not great fibres) Fiocchi FBlacks, Ely Olympic Blues and Hull Superfast.

Overall, folowing my criteria I ended up with Hull Superfasts, but I thought the Fiocchi F Blacks were excellent, just a bit harder for me to get hold of and more expensive. 

Hope this helps.  

Finners, just goes to show how different person/gun etc percieves recoil etc eh, I like the express power red, very good distant breaks(starburst when I got it right) lowish recoil,for me, and certainly sensible price, how ever the golds seem to have the edge on them but obviously at a price.

I think what I will eventually do is whittle it down to two or three prefered then just stick with one of those for a while, my preferance list is

hard hitting on edgy /long birds

low recoil (contradiction there)!

sensible price, doesnt have to be the cheapest as I dont get the opportunity to use a lot,so would rather enjoy /have confidence when I do.

I am tempted to say that I would pattern out the final few properly, but we will see

The greatest problem you`ll have is finding a cartridge that remains the same for long,manufacturers seem unable to keep them consistent !

Interesting, is that a case of nicely specked cartridge gets you on the hook, and down the road the spec gets down graded for monetary sake, or just poor production methods?

Interesting, is that a case of nicely specked cartridge gets you on the hook, and down the road the spec gets down graded for monetary sake, or just poor production methods?
Don`t know but you get used to a cartridge then they change them,most recent is Blue Diamonds,used the last of a batch I`d been working through for a couple of yrs...bought another couple of slabs(luckily not more) ,different case ,printing & much more recoil ! The previous lot were a lovely smooth shooting shell ! 

I have used 1000s of cheddite as my local shooting ground sells them and the UK importers are only up the road. Never had an issue with them. But as I have said before...we are cartridge sluts and go for the cheapest . Currently Gamebore Velocity (at £189/1000 discount for quantity) are our projectile of choice

I would be happy to try the cheddites ,but no local stockist in hampshire it seems,going down near crewekerne tomorrow,any one know shop that stocks them I could pick up a slab if I have time(work related journey) thanks

Well no reply as to who stocks cheddite in Hampshire to try a few, went out for a fifty birder today, I shot like a *****, my own fault, but did try some hull superfast, woo,I see what people mean now, yes the fibres are a bit punchy, great breaks ,but no matter how cheap they are couldnt use them all the time,so crossing that off the list.

the shells were nt the reason for being off form, too much work and to little sleep...so self inflickted. live and learn eh.!🙂  roll on next week end .....

after what seems like a month or more without claying,due to other commitments, I   went off to a 50 birder, fibre wads as usual, as I said earlier got 1k of blue diamonds ,marked 8s, to use so took 50 of those and half a box of express golds ,marked 7.5, well the differance on was chalk and cheese, the golds were giving dusters where as on same birds the b.diamonds were good breaks. So price wise out of those it would be express golds every time, certainly worth using if only on the edgy/longer birds.

really nice to get a few hours out and about with like minded people,  and yes same chokes as per usual 1/4 & 1/2, going buy the puffs of smoke with the golds it would be interesting to try them with more open chokes...

as stated before these are only my impressions, I am not putting x amount at a board/taking averages/counting pellets etc, just going on actual breaks on the day, recoil wise through my 8lb miroku wasnt noticable at all on either shell. but that may differ for differant folk/gun combinations.

will add more as and when...enjoy your clay days everyone.
Express 7.5s are a true 7 shot. That's probably why you were hammering the normal targets. I'd stick with the chokes you are using instead of opening them up.

GB appreciate that, makes sence, unfortuantly I havent got out for the last few weeks much for various reasons but none I could alter ! so hope to get back to some clays soon and update as I go. thanks for the interest shown.

So, had a chance to go to a 50 birder today so grabbed it, fibres only, finally got to using a box of fiochi blacks ,marked 8s, straighted first warm up 4 going away,two smokers, next with crossing birds 5x6 very good breaks, next high tower ,missed first two being down the side of them,so rotated slightly, and for the first time smoked the next 4.. ended up on 37,about average for me, although I loused up one stand badly.

So fiochi f blacks ,fibres, personally I felt no noticable recoil,and being warmer was only in sweater and skeet vest,very good breaks and would say through my tubes seemed to work great, think they will be up near the top of the list in fibre wads , just need to get a slab,check actual pellet size  etc to get a more realist impression would be favourable to use at least a slab.

I found them super comfortable to use. a very enjoyable time was had on the clays hopefully will get some more time this summer as those fifty went way to quickly !(time wise)

So checked on the fiochi box ,size stated 2.2mm, checked on price,seems they have just gone up to £240 odd for 1k, so puts them in the superb/express gold price bracket now, so looks so far like superbs/ex golds 7 1/2 for edge on stuff, and ex power reds /blues for the rest,with the other option to them being gamebore hv.    all fibre wads that is.  have not been able to source borgnaghi or cheddites to try as yet. but suspect with current economic stuff happening all the prices will jump anyways....

although mothering sunday managed to get to a 50 birder,it was vitually empty, this I find a problem as going on stands with only a sighting pair I  find it harder, anyways tried a box of superbs (fibre) marked 8s and express golds,fibre, marked 8s, not a fair day to give a honest opinion really as quite windy, but the one noticable differance was the golds seemed to have more recoil ,  as they are in the same price bracket as fiochi blacks (fibre) my preferance would be based on comfort would be the fiochi..but they arent available in fibres size,english 7.5.....hmm?...got away early as so few there and speaking to some others I wasnt alone in putting in a lowly score due to the gusts, did learn a valuable lesson though, where as I normally track and measure lead today this meant clays were then bouncing in the wind and I was losing birds, so I changed tack and shot quickly with just pull away lead and this was way better ,so gained in experiance quite a lot today,especially on going away minis, smoked this time.  these I have been struggling with so its a posative for me. roll on summer..

well another 50 bird fibre only, used a mix of express power reds and gamebore blue diamond, well the reds as usual made mincemeat out of anything when I pointed it in the right place, cant compare the breaks with the GBD easily though as they were marked 8 s,and the express 7.5, scored my usual, but did notice on half a dozen(remains of a box) of hull superfast that I smoked all six, using 1/4 and 1/2 ,now previously I noticed bit more recoil with these..this time I didnt notice it at all ??  nothing altered on gun fit measurements,but I was lacking a fleece under my vest, I would have expected that to increase percieved recoil so perhaps I didnt pull the stock in tight previously.

re cost versus useability the express power reds are right up there along with hull superfast,if you dont find them to hash on recoil.

so a nice but slightly cold 50 birder, fibre wads..what can I say really, yes I havent tested 6 shots on a row at a pattern plate and calculated specific shot size s,etc etc, its all just how the percieved recoil and breaks are to me   , not been able to try cheddite or borgnaghi due to no sellers local, I think price versus performance ,the one thats great value,low recoil and excellent performer at any range for me is Express power reds(fibre) only available one shot size though, closely followed by the power blues ,available in several sizes but slightly more recoil than reds,then gamebore velocity.  at the mid price range either fiochi f blacks,super comfortable low recoil, or eley superbs, but I would struggle to say they are worth £40 a thousand extra than ex.reds,for some one like me who isnt going to reg.shoots every week, I think this is where a lot of time on a pattern plate at various ranges should (or might!) would maybe show a differance in overall pattern eveness etc.Worth doing if you are shooting comps though.

obviously I havent tried the top end cartridges as it would be pointless for me.      

hope you have found some of this to be usefull and helpfull, enjoy your clays. JK.

I forgot to mention eley select fibre wad, great cartridge, virtually no recoil(to me), I would use the 7.5s though to give a bit more hitting power down range, certainly if you are recoil sensative I woul say worth a try. 

Shot with a lad yesterday who only shoots fibres due to his shoots being all fibre.  He was shooting 2x Half chokes in his Blaser and to be honest, his Superb Fibres rinsed everything.  Here is a bloke that wants to get rid of that gun, but to be fair, the cartridges suited the gun.  Not once were there any pops, fizzes or funny noises with confetti.  Even the long stuff was properly broken.  Certainly, changed my views on Fibres.   They were 7.5 shot.

Back