Eley DTL Gold

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHL

I've seen these around the clay grounds quite a lot recently, but I can't find any opinions on them. Has anyone shot them? If so, do they compare to the Superbs. Thank you all.  

I have shot a few back to back with Superbs new (soon to be back like the old ones) and old superbs clear cased.

Hard breaks but slower that the superbs smooth on recoil and I would happily shoot them but I was over adjusting to the slow speed so won't be moving over mid season as to much to lose.

Ok thank you, they do not seem any where near as popular as the Superbs and for good reason I can see. 

Thanks 

Josh

I bought a slab of these to try from Coley's yesterday. £61 for a slab, but buying like this is costly anyhow. 7.5's, 28 gram plas wad.

Cartridge is well made, well boxed and seriously soft on the shoulder as people told me. Dorian Evans explained they are made on the old Superb pattern.

The cartridge killed most stuff through my Browning 725 3/8 choke system. Some targets were chippy at 30 yards plus, compared to the awesome Pro One's I usually use. I am going to try a couple of boxes with the 1/2 or 5/8 chokes to see what the breaks are like.

In my opinion, if I was going to shoot Eley shells again, then it would be back to the Olympic Blue's. Tried and trusted, awesome breaks and the best value shell on the market at club level.

Eley DTL Gold.jpg

That sounds expensive even for a slab, I have shot the Eley Superbs now for a very long time and the latest version of these is very very good but have yet to try or even see the DTL Gold. I would say thought that you're asking too much for a 3/8 choke and 7.5's to give much in the way of mincing kills, I have little doubt that you'll see an improvement in your breaks with 1/2 & 5/8.  :cool:

I would question your statement on "asking too much of a 3/8 choke with 7.5's"

Many of my shooting friends are now using 3/8 choke for most disciplines. It is a proven choke size, with the right cartridge. Cartridges are so good nowadays that a more open choke is acceptable with the pattern a good cartridge can hold.

The choking system of 3/8 & 3/8 with Hull Pro One's in my Browning 725 was awesome in the recent World Sporting event at EJ Churchills.

A dusted target and a chipped target is still classed as 'killed' on the scorecard.

On the expensive front, we all know that buying less than a 1000 shells will cost you, from any shop. Pro One's are probably £45 more expensive than I used to pay for my regular cartridges. But the proof is they have gained me 5 to 8 more clays on a regular basis.Hitting those horrible long distance edge-on targets that usually would have slipped through the pattern. Do not underestimate the killing potential of a 3/8 choke. It is probably Teague's best seller at present.

I would question your statement on "asking too much of a 3/8 choke with 7.5's"

Many of my shooting friends are now using 3/8 choke for most disciplines. It is a proven choke size, with the right cartridge. Cartridges are so good nowadays that a more open choke is acceptable with the pattern a good cartridge can hold.

The choking system of 3/8 & 3/8 with Hull Pro One's in my Browning 725 was awesome in the recent World Sporting event at EJ Churchills.

A dusted target and a chipped target is still classed as 'killed' on the scorecard.

On the expensive front, we all know that buying less than a 1000 shells will cost you, from any shop. Pro One's are probably £45 more expensive than I used to pay for my regular cartridges. But the proof is they have gained me 5 to 8 more clays on a regular basis.Hitting those horrible long distance edge-on targets that usually would have slipped through the pattern. Do not underestimate the killing potential of a 3/8 choke. It is probably Teague's best seller at present.
It's not my statement, I have nothing against 3/8 or 7.5's but was merely pointing out the potential reason for your own statement :

The cartridge killed most stuff through my Browning 725 3/8 choke system. Some targets were chippy at 30 yards plus, compared to the awesome Pro One's I usually use.

In other words it was you who admitted to chippy breaks, I simply offered the possible cause is the undeniable openness of such chokes at range particularly when coupled to 7.5's instead of say 8's which will fill the pattern out more. Also undeniable is the fact that almost all top end shots use tight chokes because although admittedly chips count as kills, relying on them to build a score is perhaps not the best route. Again, not my statement but hard factual reality. 

Most dealers I know let you have a slab at the thou rate, I'll try some as soon as I get a chance but they've got to do something special to trump Superbs at £200. 

I've always shot Superbs for years at ABT / UT and like other thought I'd try DTL Gold 28g 8s in botton barrel and 28g 7/12s in top ,full and three quarter barrels DT10 , Trident and I must say I've been converted lovely kills soft on the shoulder and maybe a coincidence but scores have gone up slightly, but that's only my opinion other shooters might prefer a different choice.

I've always shot Superbs for years at ABT / UT and like other thought I'd try DTL Gold 28g 8s in botton barrel and 28g 7/12s in top ,full and three quarter barrels DT10 , Trident and I must say I've been converted lovely kills soft on the shoulder and maybe a coincidence but scores have gone up slightly, but that's only my opinion other shooters might prefer a different choice.
Hi, just a newbie question, why have the full choke in the bottom barrel?

Secondly, years ago when i sued to shoot game, Eleys were really really good cartridges, times seem to have changed. The ones mentioned here, I take it, that they are still reliable shells?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, just a newbie question, why have the full choke in the bottom barrel?

Secondly, years ago when i sued to shoot game, Eleys were really really good cartridges, times seem to have changed. The ones mentioned here, I take it, that they are still reliable shells?
He didn't say he had full choke in the bottom barrel. He just said Full and 3/4 chokes. You have assumed because he said full first that it was the bottom barrel but I would be surprised if this were the case.

DT

Latest posts

Back