EJ Churchill ESP Reg shoot 5.5.16

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 often noticed when entries seem to double, to the norm, the cash prizes often don't ...... ?? 
I literally cannot recall a time when a ground has either increased or paid down an extra place when entries have clearly been well above the norm. 

Enjoyable shoot out in the sunshine. Started on stand 1 and it was very busy but that was about the only stand I queued on and managed to get around in under an hour. Finished on a 77 which I would have taken before I started but let some silly birds get away - especially last birds / pairs (6 in total).

Was happy to hit a 7 on stand 8 which was the fast orange quartering away and the black R-L that was also nippy. On stand 9 the R-L black crosser + L-R distant battue I missed first pair, got 2nd pair, missed 3rd, killed 4th. A fair bit of lead on that battue.

I literally cannot recall a time when a ground has either increased or paid down an extra place when entries have clearly been well above the norm. 
If thats the case Hammy and it was a registered shoot, what happened to the rest of the prize money? Or was it that there was no declaration of entries and prize money? If you have any doubts then you must vote with your feet.

I thought it was a good course today, one of the more trickier ones that they have put on.

I finished on 81 which I was reasonable pleased with but made some silly mistakes like missing my first three targets on stand one, just a bit sloppy.

Best you make the trip to Suffolk then !!!

All class places are subject to comp entry in that class, Hi-gun is is solely sponsored by the ground & NOTHING is ever taken from any class towards H/G 

Class payouts in AA was £160, A class £190, B class £175 & C £200, plus payouts in Vets, Ladies, Colts & Juniors  :cool:

Doesn't it make a change to shoot in good weather!

Absolutely beautiful at Churchills today, course was good too! No stupid long edge on eye sight tests.

Still some bird targets but showing some face.

I shot very well which is always nice ?

Doesn't it make a change to shoot in good weather!

Absolutely beautiful at Churchills today, course was good too! No stupid long edge on eye sight tests.

Still some bird targets but showing some face.

I shot very well which is always nice ?
Dont be shy what did you score? Did you start around 4pm? Think I saw you inside clubhouse by the door. Would have said hello but was busting for the loo and when I came out you had gone.

Dont be shy what did you score? Did you start around 4pm? Think I saw you inside clubhouse by the door. Would have said hello but was busting for the loo and when I came out you had gone.
Shot 97

Missed a rabbit 

Last bird in stand 5

And one teal in 10 I think it was

Shot 97

Missed a rabbit 

Last bird in stand 5

And one teal in 10 I think it was
Cracking score - HG? Are the scores out yet?

I had 3 no birds on the L-R rabbit then when it finally came it must have jumped up 5 foot which should have made it easier but I panicked.

Missed 3 of the teal on 10 and chipped the other. Didnt know where I was with that target.

Cracking score - HG? Are the scores out yet?

I had 3 no birds on the L-R rabbit then when it finally came it must have jumped up 5 foot which should have made it easier but I panicked.

Missed 3 of the teal on 10 and chipped the other. Didnt know where I was with that target.
The rabbit I missed jumped my shot! 

That teal wanted a good gap above it! I missed underneath the first time

Think it shows that majority of shooters are not attracted by prize money & just want to enjoy shooting !!

Tho, personally i agree that it should be higher, most grounds offer £100 minimum Hi-gun & payout minimum of 3 places in the classes for a lower entry fee !!
My view being that at present "birds only" in reducing class prize money then further decreases prize money which then puts off ever increasing competition entries thus lowering class prize money even further, it's a rapid downward spiral?

Other than high gun p, as I understand it the grounds are not obliged to stump up any cash, it's our own money re-cycled, less in less out, and it matters not a jot how big the overall entry is its the comp entry that's the prize fund. Personally am if the opinion that birds only needs to be restricted to C class as its here in theory all the beginners and strugglers are. Always amazed at how a rising star eagerly scoops up cash from comp when obliterating the field in a "lower" class finds themselves put up to a class in which they've been shooting to the standard of to then go birds only bemoaning thier proven shooting ability. 

But that's only my opinion mind

My view being that at present "birds only" in reducing class prize money then further decreases prize money which then puts off ever increasing competition entries thus lowering class prize money even further, it's a rapid downward spiral?

Other than high gun p, as I understand it the grounds are not obliged to stump up any cash, it's our own money re-cycled, less in less out, and it matters not a jot how big the overall entry is its the comp entry that's the prize fund. Personally am if the opinion that birds only needs to be restricted to C class as its here in theory all the beginners and strugglers are. Always amazed at how a rising star eagerly scoops up cash from comp when obliterating the field in a "lower" class finds themselves put up to a class in which they've been shooting to the standard of to then go birds only bemoaning thier proven shooting ability. 

But that's only my opinion mind
Correct class winnings come solely from the compertition entries. High gun is Sponsored by the ground.

It's the high gun money I was surprised about. Churchills get a very good entry but only pay out £75 HG.

Yesterday saw around 160 ish entries I believe. Other shoots with under 100 entries pay out £100 - £150 HG, so with regularly almost double that entering surely £75 could / should be increased?

Seems common consensus that it's not about the money it's winning that counts. But also the prize is'nt big enough. Is there a contradiction there. Putting my neck on the block I shoot birds only and most of the ground owners are happy to take my money sorry if birds only go's I fold and go play another game.

Correct class winnings come solely from the compertition entries. High gun is Sponsored by the ground.

It's the high gun money I was surprised about. Churchills get a very good entry but only pay out £75 HG.

Yesterday saw around 160 ish entries I believe. Other shoots with under 100 entries pay out £100 - £150 HG, so with regularly almost double that entering surely £75 could / should be increased?
Prize money is always a chicken & egg scenario !!!

Some say do away with a H/G prize & pay out more in each class !!

Some say pay less places & more £££, some say pay more places & less £££, we regularly pay out 5 places in each classes

As a shooter what do you want ???...would be interested to here the feedback for & against !!

I personally think only top 3 scores in class should win. Even 1st & 2nd cash then 3rd a free entry like southdown do.

Overall High Gun I fell should be a reasonable amount. If the entries were low then I could understand  £75.

But churchills rarely get less than 150 entries and often close to 200.

Would it really hurt to make it a £150 hg? 

Funnily enough I won this one! (My first HG on a Reg)

And churchills wouldn't even pay out the £75 the same day as everyone else does! Even though I was there after all the score where in and I was told I had won hg of £75.

I have to have a cheque posted out or collect it next shoot. 

Churchills have massive overheads fantastic ground, fully staffed, proper toilets, top notch traps so your not going to get more money than say Horne as an example who have a mobile shed in a muddy field chucking the same targets week in week out. It should be about the overall experience. I remember at SDown once if you straighted a certain stand they gave you an Ebony cartridge key ring. People were over the moon with this. Last shoot had flash clay prizes all very enjoyable and mostly unexpected.

I personally think only top 3 scores in class should win. Even 1st & 2nd cash then 3rd a free entry like southdown do.

Overall High Gun I fell should be a reasonable amount. If the entries were low then I could understand  £75.

But churchills rarely get less than 150 entries and often close to 200.

Would it really hurt to make it a £150 hg? 

Funnily enough I won this one! (My first HG on a Reg)

And churchills wouldn't even pay out the £75 the same day as everyone else does! Even though I was there after all the score where in and I was told I had won hg of £75.

I have to have a cheque posted out or collect it next shoot. 
That's because it all goes through the books there as its run as a proper business. They even tax and nat ins their scorers I believe. Those that are young enough. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Churchills have massive overheads fantastic ground, fully staffed, proper toilets, top notch traps so your not going to get more money than say Horne as an example who have a mobile shed in a muddy field chucking the same targets week in week out. It should be about the overall experience. I remember at SDown once if you straighted a certain stand they gave you an Ebony cartridge key ring. People were over the moon with this. Last shoot had flash clay prizes all very enjoyable and mostly unexpected.
I can completely understand that.

But take Owls Lodge again top ground and facilities, used to take around 96 entries when squadded and still paid £100 possibly  £150. I never won it so not 100%

It won't put me off shooting Churchills as I like it there and I'm just happy to of won a HG to be honest.

But think it feels like they are not being fair?

Either way it's a cracking shoot and I'll be back at the next one.

Latest posts

Back