EJ Churchill CPSA reg ESP April 6th

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this thread is now discussing today's June shoot. ?

I thought it was a good shoot. Not a toughie, but only two stands that you really should straight. A decent test on everything else; enough to stop me straighting many stands. I missed a pair in the Grouse thinking I was going to hit the cage. I almost hung out of the front of it after that. 

If somebody is in polished mode, a big score will come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
"missed a pair in the Grouse thinking I was going to hit the cage"

Is this a new thing in ESP?

seems the last 3/4 shoots i have been on have had cages pointing in completely different directions to the targets and causing you to beat your gun of the stand or miss!

"missed a pair in the Grouse thinking I was going to hit the cage"

Is this a new thing in ESP?

seems the last 3/4 shoots i have been on have had cages pointing in completely different directions to the targets and causing you to beat your gun of the stand or miss!
In this instance, you couldn't have done anything with the cage position. It was just that there was a fast r-l crosser followed by a fast l-r crosser.  I tend to shoot a bit late, so the two kill points were hugely apart. I was nearing the cage sides as I fired at each.

The one i went to last week had sim l-r crossers one low and medium paced the other high and faster,cage was orientated to where the trap was so in the high fast one the cage was coming into my vision causing me to stop the gun.

Would say it was down to me being to slow but mist seemed to have the same problem,couldn't really shoot the other way round as you would be shooting the low one when it had  one leg on the ground ;)

I honestly can't even remember there was a cage, my problem was they were practically skimming the grass so not so good for the vertically challenged ! The problem was both were fast and close but the report bird was much quicker and needed silly lead which the brain just can't compute, I was relieved with only one away.

not so good for the vertically challenged !
I've seen so many targets that just don't suit those of us that aren't blessed in the height department.  Willow Farm they often have targets that pop up above a bank long enough for my 6'4 husband to see for ages, but at 5'4 I can only see them for a fraction of a second.  At other grounds they have targets where the ideal hold point is above the side of the cage.  Again, fine if you're tall enough, but if you're short you can't get on the line of the target without hitting the cage.

I've seen so many targets that just don't suit those of us that aren't blessed in the height department.  Willow Farm they often have targets that pop up above a bank long enough for my 6'4 husband to see for ages, but at 5'4 I can only see them for a fraction of a second.  At other grounds they have targets where the ideal hold point is above the side of the cage.  Again, fine if you're tall enough, but if you're short you can't get on the line of the target without hitting the cage.
I've taken to telling course setters now when faced with a ridiculous stand for midgets.  It's starting to sink in and credit to Bob at Southdown he has made changes for midgets.

I've taken to telling course setters now when faced with a ridiculous stand for midgets.  It's starting to sink in and credit to Bob at Southdown he has made changes for midgets.
Hi Sian, I noticed that yesterday shooting the Classic - one pretty low stand down the Lane layout had a set of small stepladders just inside with your name on.......... ???????

Hi Sian, I noticed that yesterday shooting the Classic - one pretty low stand down the Lane layout had a set of small stepladders just inside with your name on.......... ???????
Good, very handy. 

I don't get to Southdown often, but can I borrow your steps next time Sian? Only if you aren't using them at the time of course.

I have had the same problem for years and years.  Being only 4'11" is no fun at all.  I remember many, many years ago shooting at Southdown and Dave P was actually scoring the stand and I couldn't see over the bush in front of me.  He apologised straight away, got me a pallet to stand on and I never ever shot one of his sporting layouts again where I couldn't see over a bush etc.  The same thing happened when I shot a fitasc at Barrowheath that John Dyson had put on.  Rose was scoring, I was looking at the targets, went into shoot and couldn't see a thing, I called and called and the rest of the squad said it had gone.  I replied that I just couldn't see them from my position.  Rose called up John and you can imagine what was said!!! Again, I have never shot a shoot that John has put on that I have had trouble seeing over something.

Now cages are a different kettle of fish, again being so short I can't always get my gun over the barrier and be comfortable, I end up being hunched up with my shoulders up around my ears, and if I have to get the gun up over the top to get on a target quicker, then forget it, it just isn't happening.  

Unfortunately, I have lost many targets in the past over this as I get angry at the course setters and carry it around with me.  It's getting better as I just laugh at myself but deep down inside it infuriates the life out of me.  I did suggest to one course setter that he carries a piece of wood that is same height as me and crouch down to that level and see what it feels like.  

Phil shot Churchills yesterday and did say that I would have had a problem in the grouse butt, but don't these people think?  There are a lot of juniors and older people who are short, not just me and surely the course should be the same for every shooter out there, it shouldn't matter how tall or short you are.  I really don't mind being beaten by a target if it's hard and I'm not on it but don't think it's fair losing targets that you can't even see or get on before it dives into the ground or disappears behind something.

I have had the same problem for years and years.  Being only 4'11" is no fun at all.  I remember many, many years ago shooting at Southdown and Dave P was actually scoring the stand and I couldn't see over the bush in front of me.  He apologised straight away, got me a pallet to stand on and I never ever shot one of his sporting layouts again where I couldn't see over a bush etc.  The same thing happened when I shot a fitasc at Barrowheath that John Dyson had put on.  Rose was scoring, I was looking at the targets, went into shoot and couldn't see a thing, I called and called and the rest of the squad said it had gone.  I replied that I just couldn't see them from my position.  Rose called up John and you can imagine what was said!!! Again, I have never shot a shoot that John has put on that I have had trouble seeing over something.

Now cages are a different kettle of fish, again being so short I can't always get my gun over the barrier and be comfortable, I end up being hunched up with my shoulders up around my ears, and if I have to get the gun up over the top to get on a target quicker, then forget it, it just isn't happening.  

Unfortunately, I have lost many targets in the past over this as I get angry at the course setters and carry it around with me.  It's getting better as I just laugh at myself but deep down inside it infuriates the life out of me.  I did suggest to one course setter that he carries a piece of wood that is same height as me and crouch down to that level and see what it feels like.  

Phil shot Churchills yesterday and did say that I would have had a problem in the grouse butt, but don't these people think?  There are a lot of juniors and older people who are short, not just me and surely the course should be the same for every shooter out there, it shouldn't matter how tall or short you are.  I really don't mind being beaten by a target if it's hard and I'm not on it but don't think it's fair losing targets that you can't even see or get on before it dives into the ground or disappears behind something.
As someone has already pointed out not being able to address a target optimally is a very real problem at times, I often wonder how easily it could be fixed by chopping a few inches off the top of stands or where possible driving the stakes in a bit more. 

Some course setters obviously forget the lower height & disabled shooter shooting from a wheelchair then !!!!

I am always mindful of shooters of a lower height than myself (me being a 6'1" midget), maybe because one of my refs is well known disabled shooter Adrian Last & he also likes to shoot the courses i put on at Barrow Heath..........So Sian, as you well know from your visits that target visability for shorter people can be catered for   :ahappy: :smile:

Some course setters obviously forget the lower height & disabled shooter shooting from a wheelchair then !!!!

I am always mindful of shooters of a lower height than myself (me being a 6'1" midget), maybe because one of my refs is well known disabled shooter Adrian Last & he also likes to shoot the courses i put on at Barrow Heath..........So Sian, as you well know from your visits that target visability for shorter people can be catered for   :ahappy: :smile:
Never had an issue ever from shooting at Barrowheath, always see the targets and be able to shoot comfortably

I honestly can't even remember there was a cage, my problem was they were practically skimming the grass so not so good for the vertically challenged ! The problem was both were fast and close but the report bird was much quicker and needed silly lead which the brain just can't compute, I was relieved with only one away.
Did a caddied round at EJC after the National Ladies Shooting Day event on Saturday.  Ended up shooting a low fast pair in the grouse butt.  Pink l-r that was probably 4ft off the ground at it's highest and a yellow r-l that didn't get above a foot.  Missed the first two pink ones behind, got the rest.  No cage though, which may have made it easier.

Mr Marshall showed us how it was done once we'd shot.  He shot the pink target before I could even see it.

Phil, myself and a friend shot Churchills yesterday and I did have a go in the grouse butt.  I could hardly see over the top!  It seemed as if I was shooting through the grass which was slightly off putting. Couldn't get to grips with the targets using my gun but then I had a go with Phils Perazzi and nailed them.  I seem to be able to shoot his gun much quicker and get on the targets a lot easier with his gun even though it's longer and heavier then mine.  Now all sorts of things are floating around in my head which I don't want ..  

I might get the auto out this weekend for the Dragon charity shoot for s bit of fun.

Phil, myself and a friend shot Churchills yesterday and I did have a go in the grouse butt.  I could hardly see over the top!  It seemed as if I was shooting through the grass which was slightly off putting. Couldn't get to grips with the targets using my gun but then I had a go with Phils Perazzi and nailed them.  I seem to be able to shoot his gun much quicker and get on the targets a lot easier with his gun even though it's longer and heavier then mine.  Now all sorts of things are floating around in my head which I don't want ..  
All down to the balance.  Time for a Perazzi for you as well?

Don't go there!!!  Phil has said for years that I will end up with one!!  But I must admit that when I shot his at those targets the penny did finally drop. I love my gun, fits well etc BUT being a trap gun I simply can't move it that quickly when I really have to. 

Latest posts

Back