CPSA Majors “Competition Only”

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiptop - Yes, of course there is a choice of whether to enter the event or not however I think the opening post pointed out that they have done away with the no birds-only option - some could have entered and voted with their feet at the same time.

Come now mate don't be like that, this year I shall be passing the benchmark and will be able to have a chance in both Class (unlikely) and Veterans (even less likely)
L.o.l,😀. All you need to do now, is enter and hope there is a low Vets entry on the day. You can then still shoot sh*te and qualify for finals day for the BO. Even coming back to shoot in class, although you might not have qualified in class.😆 :frantics:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiptop - Yes, of course there is a choice of whether to enter the event or not however I think the opening post pointed out that they have done away with the no birds-only option - some could have entered and voted with their feet at the same time.
Chap, entries for the Majors for 2022 (twit that I am did put 2021, thank you Martin) have yet to open, those that do not wish to enter on principle still have the option.

L.o.l,😀. All you need to do now, is enter and hope there is a low Vets entry on the day. You can then still shoot sh*te and qualify for finals day for the BO. Even coming back to shoot in class, although you might not have qualified in class.😆 :frantics:
Low Vets entry? mate my big ears hear that Vets is now the largest category within the CPSA, might have to try & wing it from steerage 

I remember back when winning a competition was driven by the desire to take home the cup or trophy not cash.a few pounds is gone and forgotten about mostly on the journey home maybe from the stop at the burger stall or fuel station.the trophy is there in most cases for life.money has ruined a lot of sports in the past and my belief is this current new rule will not stop at the majors.once a charge is introduced into something it is never long before that charge rises.an example of this although not in sport is the 5p carrierbag charge now 20p.or the landfill tax that started at 8 pounds per ton now around 140 pounds per ton.it is the thin edge of many wedges.we are an amateur sport and it needs to stay that way.instead of the cpsa bringing in extra costs to members to bump up their coffers perhaps they could apply their minds to coming up with ideas of benefits of membership to encourage more people to join.

I remember back when winning a competition was driven by the desire to take home the cup or trophy not cash.a few pounds is gone and forgotten about mostly on the journey home maybe from the stop at the burger stall or fuel station.the trophy is there in most cases for life.money has ruined a lot of sports in the past and my belief is this current new rule will not stop at the majors.once a charge is introduced into something it is never long before that charge rises.an example of this although not in sport is the 5p carrierbag charge now 20p.or the landfill tax that started at 8 pounds per ton now around 140 pounds per ton.it is the thin edge of many wedges.we are an amateur sport and it needs to stay that way.instead of the cpsa bringing in extra costs to members to bump up their coffers perhaps they could apply their minds to coming up with ideas of benefits of membership to encourage more people to join.
Id imagine the drive to win a Major and all of the prestige of being an English and or British Champion gives far exceeds the desire for the cash prize? I do get your point about how much though, although that burger, is it by Heston?, the full tank of fuel though does tip past £100. The cash though would Im sure be a welcome offset against the many hours the champion spent on the circuit. The minutes of the meeting (easily accessible) were quite firm in that this is a trial and for the majors only, members feedback will most probably determine its future, if against it will stop, if supported it may well roll out, if supported that is by its members. As for the CPSA "bumping up its coffers" this competition entry is all paid back, where an earth have you been shooting where this is not so?.  Am sure that if you have any new / novel ideas, either for added "benefits of membership" or to "encourage more people to join" they would be well received by your local CPSA director.

I would add that I can't see where any additional "added benefits" come without increased membership costs, as for the more to join angle, locally to me there are lots of straw baler type sunday morning shoots, all very busy, and very very few of these want anything to do competition wise, they just want to rock up, scoff a bacon bap, hit a few 15-20 yard clays, drink some coffee all whilst whittering on with some chums, some then pub then home most go straight home, for them its a fun morning, and most have no interest at all regarding shooting somewhere else and certainly not anything "difficult". In Ed Solomons words "that's fine". Spending a fortune on trying to encourage incomers, if possible, needs to be targeted at the right market, which is what exactly? Like most Ive not a clue, worries yes (none monetary) for the future but regrettably no worthwhile ideas.

Id imagine the drive to win a Major and all of the prestige of being an English and or British Champion gives far exceeds the desire for the cash prize? I do get your point about how much though, although that burger, is it by Heston?, the full tank of fuel though does tip past £100. The cash though would Im sure be a welcome offset against the many hours the champion spent on the circuit. The minutes of the meeting (easily accessible) were quite firm in that this is a trial and for the majors only, members feedback will most probably determine its future, if against it will stop, if supported it may well roll out, if supported that is by its members. As for the CPSA "bumping up its coffers" this competition entry is all paid back, where an earth have you been shooting where this is not so?.  Am sure that if you have any new / novel ideas, either for added "benefits of membership" or to "encourage more people to join" they would be well received by your local CPSA director.

I would add that I can't see where any additional "added benefits" come without increased membership costs, as for the more to join angle, locally to me there are lots of straw baler type sunday morning shoots, all very busy, and very very few of these want anything to do competition wise, they just want to rock up, scoff a bacon bap, hit a few 15-20 yard clays, drink some coffee all whilst whittering on with some chums, some then pub then home most go straight home, for them its a fun morning, and most have no interest at all regarding shooting somewhere else and certainly not anything "difficult". In Ed Solomons words "that's fine". Spending a fortune on trying to encourage incomers, if possible, needs to be targeted at the right market, which is what exactly? Like most Ive not a clue, worries yes (none monetary) for the future but regrettably no worthwhile ideas.
I would have to disagree with your picture on straw baler shoots.there are plenty of small grounds that have skeet and trap set ups that are cpsa standard.maybe ed should try a few of the small grounds and see that there are some that have arguably targets that are equal to some of the big grounds that run comps.a lot of the straw bale shooters are members of cpsa likely for the insurance but also they may do the odd comp a year.i like them pay my money each year and have done for a good few years now i might if i take a liking to go to a comp on occasion and i hope that like so many other things that start off as a small thing balloon.shooting had for so long been seen as an elitist sport only done by the rich and aristocracy and in a small way cutting out some of the casual shooters is in some way going back to that.

I would have to disagree with your picture on straw baler shoots.there are plenty of small grounds that have skeet and trap set ups that are cpsa standard.maybe ed should try a few of the small grounds and see that there are some that have arguably targets that are equal to some of the big grounds that run comps.a lot of the straw bale shooters are members of cpsa likely for the insurance but also they may do the odd comp a year.i like them pay my money each year and have done for a good few years now i might if i take a liking to go to a comp on occasion and i hope that like so many other things that start off as a small thing balloon.shooting had for so long been seen as an elitist sport only done by the rich and aristocracy and in a small way cutting out some of the casual shooters is in some way going back to that.
Indeed Id imagine lots of non affiliated grounds have facilities ranging from sparse to superb, was only drawing on ones own experiences, my ref to Ed was merely that going out irregularly shooting at a few clays with chums on a purely social level is "fine" (as per one of his quite interesting u tube offerings). Am glad that you do venture out to the odd reg and wish more would too, the competition side of shooting needs a healthy uptake. As for cost, take away the gun and is clay target shooting now that more expensive than most other participation sports? Do understand the perception bit, mention shooting and what mostly springs to mind in others is plus fours, tweed, pheasants, 4x4s and pot bellies.

Im not seeing the removal of targets only for the Majors affecting the casual shooters? If any do take the bull by the horns and enter Id imagine they just see the £10, which is within the entry fee as part of the whole day cost?

Indeed Id imagine lots of non affiliated grounds have facilities ranging from sparse to superb, was only drawing on ones own experiences, my ref to Ed was merely that going out irregularly shooting at a few clays with chums on a purely social level is "fine" (as per one of his quite interesting u tube offerings). Am glad that you do venture out to the odd reg and wish more would too, the competition side of shooting needs a healthy uptake. As for cost, take away the gun and is clay target shooting now that more expensive than most other participation sports? Do understand the perception bit, mention shooting and what mostly springs to mind in others is plus fours, tweed, pheasants, 4x4s and pot bellies.

Im not seeing the removal of targets only for the Majors affecting the casual shooters? If any do take the bull by the horns and enter Id imagine they just see the £10, which is within the entry fee as part of the whole day 
So long as it remains just the majors then it should not do much damage.

The British and English open are nothing but a cash cow for the CPSA ,£70 entry ( put it out to tender ) some ground owners ( correction ground runners) charge as little as £26.50 per entry £10 in the prize pot £33.50 to the cpsa per person entered ! We have to find the,£50,000 salary’s from some where . The general public should not be entitled to enter a British or English open it should be the top 10 from each class and county only.    Bunt hang on that wouldn’t pay there salary. 

We have to find the,£50,000 salary’s from some where . The general public should not be entitled to enter a British or English open it should be the top 10 from each class and county only.    Bunt hang on that wouldn’t pay there salary. 
That’s nonsensical in my view. You don’t encourage participation in the blue riband events, or the sport as a whole, by limiting entries to the elite few. Anyway, the clue’s in the word ‘open’.

That aside, I really don’t get this CPSA bashing. They haven’t always got it right and I’m happy to question their decision making when mistakes are made but there seems to be a minority of shooters that see conspiracy everywhere and criticise every policy they implement and every event they organise.

Perfect they’re not but having some knowledge of how they operate, I do think they’re doing their best in difficult economic times to govern and promote the sport.

The British and English open are nothing but a cash cow for the CPSA ,£70 entry ( put it out to tender ) some ground owners ( correction ground runners) charge as little as £26.50 per entry £10 in the prize pot £33.50 to the cpsa per person entered ! We have to find the,£50,000 salary’s from some where . The general public should not be entitled to enter a British or English open it should be the top 10 from each class and county only.    Bunt hang on that wouldn’t pay there salary. 
'Open' any one can enter....

For FB users here's a link to the Darts UK Open qualifying stages https://www.facebook.com/groups/208084789978251/permalink/1080796189373769/

Well, tonight's the night peeps. 8pm don't forget. Get yourselves logged in, fingers poised.

Ready...Steady... :frantics: :frantics:

Well it certainly doesn't look like the change or cost increase has affected the take up.

16 hours in and the British sportrap is sold out and the esp has less than 100 spaces left in the earlier days. English has fair few spots left, maybe couple of hundred, but nearly all Wednesday & Thursday slots. I went on line at 8.00 last night and slots were going at an alarming rate.

Well it certainly doesn't look like the change or cost increase has affected the take up.

16 hours in and the British sportrap is sold out and the esp has less than 100 spaces left in the earlier days. English has fair few spots left, maybe couple of hundred, but nearly all Wednesday & Thursday slots. I went on line at 8.00 last night and slots were going at an alarming rate.
Any idea how many targets the english open covers, I did try and look but can only find how to book, just trying to work out how long the round may take

Any idea how many targets the english open covers, I did try and look but can only find how to book, just trying to work out how long the round may take
Think the English is 120 targets, 15 stands of 8. Its 9 minute squad gaps so if you go round uninterrupted should be 2 hours 15 minutes. But I would expect there to be the odd hold up, so allow 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Think the English is 120 targets, 15 stands of 8. Its 9 minute squad gaps so if you go round uninterrupted should be 2 hours 15 minutes. But I would expect there to be the odd hold up, so allow 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Thankyou, thats great

I booked on for the English Sporting last night bang on 20-00. Got a Saturday slot, does help when the Mrs can type at 100mph  

I booked on for the English Sporting last night bang on 20-00. Got a Saturday slot, does help when the Mrs can type at 100mph  
I was booking for four of us, sporting and sport trap so had CPSA numbers, addresses etc all to hand just in case but only needed CPSA a numbers. Totally forgot about it until 8.30 but had no problems getting places but looking now I’m glad I did it when I did! 

Back