CPSA English Sporting Rules

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having ref'd 3 or 4 times and been on the end of a tantrum over an alleged slow pull (I've been driving traps for about 12 years & I don't do slow pulls!), let's not forget those shooters whose call of P-u-u-u-u-u-u-l-l-l-l-l-l-l lasts about 2½ seconds. When do you launch? At the start of the call? Wait for about 1 second and launch in the middle or wait for the end of the call?

Funnily enough the shooter who got eggy, claimed a ****ing slow pull, then stormed off without shooting the last pair, has the longest call of all.

I made an arse of it on Sunday, killed the first 4 pair on a stand, then, pull.......(about 3 seconds)........pull.........about 5 seconds........looked over my shoulder at the scorer and seen him frantically banging the button, caught a glimps of the clay flying over my head, followed by a thumbs up from the scorer, turned round and had a poke at a dropping clay then killed the next bird on report.

"loss and kill"

" Oh, come on.....no bird!!"

"Would have been, if you hadn't shot"

Lesson learned!!!

Yes you can challenge a slow pull Matt. You do not shoot the bird, instead you put the gun down and put your hand up and say 'appeal' or some other polite expression. The ref has to then see what the reason for refusing the bird is.

But what reason could you give (CPSA Sporting) ?

I have in the past dropped the gun down and not shot at the target, the good referees are understanding and already call it a no bird, the inexperienced refs will just do as the shooter instructs.

However, I have often wondered how I would stand if a ref said target lost, he could quote the 3 second rule at me but I would not be able to quote any rule to countermand this for the first bird apart from my humble opinion.

Yes - what Timps said.

That's the bit I struggle with... I've had refs that have a problem getting a trap to fire saying 'wait there, it's on its way' - those are the most frustrating.

"Would have been, if you hadn't shot"

Lesson learned!!!
IMO it would have been worth questioning the call.

At Longridge on Monday I overheard someone asking Steve Lovatt how many of his refs actually had SGCs. I didn't hear the answer but I assume the point of the Q was if you've never shot sporting you can't really appreciate that that consistent shooting on a stand needs consistent trapping. Nobirds are disruptive enough even when promptly called, but to not call Nobird on a target that late, then score a miss because you fired is, to my mind, unfair. I would certainly have given you a pass on that one.

I'm sure that i've read about a 3 second rule for english sporting, many yrs ago. The target has up to 3 seconds to appear in view. I presume this was to take into account trap location / terrain / vegitation . Common sence I would think.

I'm sure that i've read about a 3 second rule for english sporting, many yrs ago. The target has up to 3 seconds to appear in view. I presume this was to take into account trap location / terrain / vegitation . Common sence I would think.
That's exactly how I think the rule SHOULD be interpreted. However it's not how it reads in the rule book, because it's sloppily written :p

"Frantically banging the button?".......... :eek:

Chard, "frantically banging the button" is the only way I can describe it!!! Loose wire or worn out button at a guess, he looked pissed off with it.

There's a curious rule at Southern Counties with the FITASC [trap] referees. "Alright I'll let you have it this time but the next one's a loss". :(

Last edited by a moderator:
as for when to press the button, it should be an instant reaction to hearing the first sound from the shooter's mouth, not a half second delay but INSTANT, irrespective of discipline. If you can't do INSTANT , let someone who can,. press the button

as for when to press the button, it should be an instant reaction to hearing the first sound from the shooter's mouth, not a half second delay but INSTANT, irrespective of discipline. If you can't do INSTANT , let someone who can,. press the button
But there are those who disagree, seemingly thinking the ref can scratch his harris for 3 seconds before he deigns to bung you a clay...... :huh:

so the ref takes 3 seconds to press the button and on stand X it then takes 3 seconds for the target to travel from the trap to where you can see it.........................

Latest posts

Back