CPSA Ban Release Triggers... your thoughts?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,

No sadly that is nearly an every day occurrance somewhere in the UK.
Yep it's all too common. Some people get very casual about swinging guns around and often they don't like it being mentioned. A few months ago at the club a guy stepped out of the hoop, closed his gun then wandered around looking for his slip, in the process swinging the muzzles right across my face from 3 feet away. I put my hand up and asked him to break the gun but he simply snapped out: "It's not bloody loaded I've just shot". Naturally I told him what I thought about his gun handling.

The shooter concerned now won't speak to me and strangely enough appears to think I've done something wrong......

One of my scariest memories is way back at a straw baler where this old boy closed his S/S in order to cross a fence, then duly broke it open once over to reveal two live shells inside. :eek: :.: :.: :eek: No I didn't give him a dirty look or lecture. What Westward experienced is what I would have sadly.

Don't be sidetracked by automatics - most shotguns are carried round shooting grounds in a ready to fire position only wrapped in canvas bags. People even lean on them. Many have handles on the bags so they can carry them horizontal.
thats a very good point

I can recall 4 moments off the top of my head by different people, over the years, all done while closing a gun with a finger on the trigger- results below

DTL trap house shot

Low house skeet shot

Straw bale in front of a stand shot (while i was scoring)

Me, nearly killed/badly injured when i was about 5. The person involved was just behind and to the side of me when he closed his gun, while walking across the farmyard. The shot missed me by inches. Needless to say my old man at the time was NOT best pleased, and a few words were exchanged.

I wonder wether a competence certificate should be brought out for 'new shooters', well you need a piece of paper to use nearly everything else!

As for release triggers, perhaps those involved need a better understanding of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the last few posts it seems obvious to me that release triggers are the least of our problems!

I would have said before these that I was relaxed about slipped shotguns but based on the above perhaps not.

This must be because many who use shotguns don't have to go through a club enforced safety process i.e they come from small scale game or vermin shooting with no enforced safety training.

If clubs allow a slapdash attitude then the officers might find themselves in difficulty if there is ever an accident.

If it is not a club but an owner managed ground then they should be similarly concerned that everyone should be safe at their shoots.

I have had a very nice reply from Nick Fellows at CPSA thanking me for my input and the matter is under consideration. If you have any points of view please contact CPSA.

I recieved a reply too....and I'm not even a member. Something about going back to the Board etc:

Release triggers seem only to be a problem for those not using them. I have used releases for close to 20yr w/ not a single problem. As far as I know the only way to recover from an engaged release is to open the gun so the cocking bar lifts the hammer - which is not a problem that I have ever seen. Release mechanisms take several forms but they all entail disengaging the sear so operating the safety post-release would do nothing whatsoever to block the release.

The fail to fire argument is BS. If it has failed to fire the release has been released!!! Obviously a perceived problem by people who think hammers are complicated machines.

Lots and lots of ATA shooters and not a few international shooters realize the advantage of a release in a moving target game. If you don't like it, don't use it. Pretty simple, it seems to me

JMO of course YMMV

Charlie

Thanks you for that explanation, I beleive RT are very common in USA

If anyone is interested I can post a couple pix of the mechanisms. All I have are Perazzis but the scheme would have to be similar for anything.

Charlie

If anyone is interested I can post a couple pix of the mechanisms. All I have are Perazzis but the scheme would have to be similar for anything.

Charlie
That'll be interesting, there's a section in this months Skeet Shooting Review all about single and double release triggers, the problem with regards for refs and how the guns need to be marked that they have release trigger mechanisms.

Tim Greenwood has done a full article for the next Clay Shooting magazine....with pictures.

He designed a watch makers pin which was adopted by Krieghoff many years ago when their RT suffered from the fault of circlips used to hold the release the release plate in place, 'jumping off' allowing the release plate to be loose.

It's design is very simple; when the trigger is pulled, the release plate engages in the notch on the tumbler or hammer at the same time the main sear is released. It takes about 4lbs of pressure to set the trigger and it will not release until the pressure eases off to about 2lbs and the release plate lets go of the tumbler.

For someone with nerve damage or trigger freeze it is much easier to let go of the trigger rather than pulling the trigger.

Tim Greenwood has done a full article for the next Clay Shooting magazine....with pictures.

He designed a watch makers pin which was adopted by Krieghoff many years ago when their RT suffered from the fault of circlips used to hold the release the release plate in place, 'jumping off' allowing the release plate to be loose.

It's design is very simple; when the trigger is pulled, the release plate engages in the notch on the tumbler or hammer at the same time the main sear is released. It takes about 4lbs of pressure to set the trigger and it will not release until the pressure eases off to about 2lbs and the release plate lets go of the tumbler.

For someone with nerve damage or trigger freeze it is much easier to let go of the trigger rather than pulling the trigger.
Just the reason I had my Krieghoff converted to one by Mr Rhone.

Phil*

Just the reason I had my Krieghoff converted to one by Mr Rhone.

Phil*
'Like'. (ran out of likes again).

Phil, I am also thinking of having one, always room left for another one.

Oh Les......why do we need that extra Mulberry handbag or those really nice 4" heels from Jimmy??

It is not about need it is about being free to purchase what you want in this world when it is legal .....without being told that you can buy it (by the government) but that you cannot use it (by the uneducated).

It is about minorities being 'picked on' for absolutely no good reason.

It is about shooters standing together and supporting people who can only continue their own shooting, with one.

It is about shooters not being selfish......because one day it might just refer to any of us.....if we fell of a roof or had a car accident.

Just saying.

;)

Last edited:
Oh Les......why do we need that extra Mulberry handbag or those really nice 4" heels from Jimmy??

It is not about need it is about being free to purchase what you want in this world when it is legal .....without being told that you can buy it (by the government) but that you cannot use it (by the uneducated).

It is about minorities being 'picked on' for absolutely no good reason.

It is about shooters standing together and supporting people who can only continue their own shooting, with one.

It is about shooters not being selfish......because one day it might just refer to any of us.....if we fell of a roof or had a car accident.

Just saying.

;)
Ah right! Yes my wife has this problem too. She cannot differentiate between NEED and WANT! I have lost count of how many new outfits she NEEDS. The woman has at least a hectare of wardrobe space, which is always full. I meanwhile could put my wardrobe space inside a fag packet. :.:

The point was Les (not the little joke to catch your eye) but the serious reasons ....all beginning with 'it' :D ;)

Back