CPSA Ban Release Triggers... your thoughts?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited Alan Rhones today and the gist was that himself and Wes Stanton are going to find out why a ban was implimented, according to one of the girls that works there, there are about 20 Krieghoff's in the U.K. fitted with release triggers.

As far as I know there has never been an accidental discharge with a release trigger gun in the U.K.

I thought that the CPSA was meant to be shooter friendly organisation :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited Alan Rhones today and the gist was that himself and Wes Stanton are going to find out why a ban was implimented, according to one of the girls that works there, there are about 20 Krieghoff's in the U.K. fitted with release triggers.

As far as I know there has never been an accidental discharge with a release trigger gun in the U.K.

I thought that the CPSA was meant to be shooter friendly organisation :(
You would rightly have thought so Mike! :(

As correctly stated on here, Release trigger equipped guns should be clearly identified as being thus by a Red label 'R'.

So let us think this through S L O W L Y, We do not leave guns guns unattended or in gunracks loaded, we do not tamper or 'try' someone's gun without permission. I would think it highly unlikely for a release trigger gun to be negligently discharged. As correctly stated this is a good number of shooter's salvation.

With this in mind I would urge the CPSA to think long and hard before meddling in business that they appear to have very little understanding of.

Perhaps we should remember what the CPSA's role is, that is to manage and promote clayshooting sports, not interfere and impede.

As correctly stated on here, Release trigger equipped guns should be clearly identified as being thus by a Red label 'R'.

So let us think this through S L O W L Y, We do not leave guns guns unattended or in gunracks loaded, we do not tamper or 'try' someone's gun without permission. I would think it highly unlikely for a release trigger gun to be negligently discharged. As correctly stated this is a good number of shooter's salvation.

With this in mind I would urge the CPSA to think long and hard before meddling in business that they appear to have very little understanding of.

Perhaps we should remember what the CPSA's role is, that is to manage and promote clayshooting sports, not interfere and impede.
Quite so.....AND that they represent US, the membership.

I vote referendum..... ;) :D

i have a friend who shoots for the usa vet team who shoots a release trigger and has done for many years they are not dangerous in the hands of people that use them regulary but when i have been with him and someone has said to him lets have a go they get confused and end up usually shooting the ground in front of them.

if you decide that you need to use a release trigger you would go for some practice before shooting competition to get used to it. hopefully

does this mean that ny friend would not be able to take his place in the us team if they end up banning them?

I am sure that Alan Rhone or someone else would gladly attend any meeting that the CPSA would like to have, to demonstrate the correct operation of a Release Trigger.

Many people would be unable to shoot if release triggers are banned.

I am sure someone would be prepared to appeal via legal proceedings. Can our association afford to go to court over this matter?

i have a friend who shoots for the usa vet team who shoots a release trigger and has done for many years they are not dangerous in the hands of people that use them regulary but when i have been with him and someone has said to him lets have a go they get confused and end up usually shooting the ground in front of them.

if you decide that you need to use a release trigger you would go for some practice before shooting competition to get used to it. hopefully

does this mean that ny friend would not be able to take his place in the us team if they end up banning them?
If clay shooting in the USA is anything like target shooting then I doubt that they will care much what the ISSF do or don't do. They still shoot at 50 yards and 100 yards for small-bore! Only the die hard fanatics that want to go to the Olympics and World Cups shoot ISSF stuff. In any rifle matches between GB and USA they are not shot under ISSF rules!

But what happens in the event of a no bird call?? With a normal trigger there's no problem, but with a release trigger it's ready to fire and the shooter has to keep his finger on it.

I beleive that opening the top lever disengages the trigger.

Sounds odd to us but I expect once you get used to it theres no problem or danger.

But what happens in the event of a no bird call?? With a normal trigger there's no problem, but with a release trigger it's ready to fire and the shooter has to keep his finger on it.
As someone said above you operate the top lever to break the gun and make it safe before taking your finger off the trigger

Ian you beat me to it :p

oh yeah thats probably easier and safer. What we need is someone who acctually uses one to put his point of view across.

I grew up in a time when schoolkids looked forward to icy weather so that they could make massive slides in the playground. Sometimes of course they would fall down and bash their head on the ground or break a wrist. Normally this resulted in their parents giving them a bollocking and sending them to bed without any supper. :wink: Suing the school or the LEA for negligence was never even considered. Consequently I have a deep and abiding loathing for well paid petty beaurocrats and mandarins dedicated to inventing ways to control things that don't need controlling. And I don't care whether it's some jobsworth in the local council issuing fines to people who put out 2 bags of rubbish instead of the regulation single bag, or the police closing a motorway for 5 hours because 2 cars collided and grazed the Armco.

I do agree that guns with release triggers should carry an indicator because in theory the ref is supposed to take charge of a gun when there's a fail to fire and therefore does need to know, but IMO the CPSA should not be kowtowing to the ISSF.

It's okay for the Europeans, they love being regulated, they absolutely thrive on it, but we like our independence and the CPSA should be supporting Englands clay shooters and grow a pair.

I grew up in a time when schoolkids looked forward to icy weather so that they could make massive slides in the playground. Sometimes of course they would fall down and bash their head on the ground or break a wrist. Normally this resulted in their parents giving them a bollocking and sending them to bed without any supper. :wink: Suing the school or the LEA for negligence was never even considered. Consequently I have a deep and abiding loathing for well paid petty beaurocrats and mandarins dedicated to inventing ways to control things that don't need controlling. And I don't care whether it's some jobsworth in the local council issuing fines to people who put out 2 bags of rubbish instead of the regulation single bag, or the police closing a motorway for 5 hours because 2 cars collided and grazed the Armco.

I do agree that guns with release triggers should carry an indicator because in theory the ref is supposed to take charge of a gun when there's a fail to fire and therefore does need to know, but IMO the CPSA should not be kowtowing to the ISSF.

It's okay for the Europeans, they love being regulated, they absolutely thrive on it, but we like our independence and the CPSA should be supporting Englands clay shooters and grow a pair.
John I couldn't agree more mate! I am sick of rules made by Johnny Foreigner being imposed on us! It's OUR CPSA and they should be sticking up for us no matter what! :angry:

Latest posts

Back