CPSA Ban Release Triggers... your thoughts?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through this forum can I say that if this goes through we will be discriminating against people who actually have a disability, if that is the case I wish to have no part in discrimination and I urge you to consider your thoughts on that subject.

If the CPSA ban release triggers they will leave the Scottish, Welsh & Irish associations in an untenable situation.

What is the legal situation with discriminating against people with a disability????

Why has this suddenly sprung up, has there been an accident? If so what were the circumstances?

Will the CPSA be banning people who do three shoots on a Sunday? Surely they are a danger speeding between venues?

I guess my point was - there is an email address to send your 'representations' to in the original announcement.

Maybe if people feel strongly enough, they'll use that channel, and that will show the strength of support for reversal of a ban.

Well I feel very important all of a sudden, I did indeed finish my shooting career with a release trigger - supplied and fitted by Mr Rhone. I considered my self just as safe with that gun as with a conventional trigger set up. As stated, pull the trigger when ready to shoot, no bird - just shove the top lever over and open the gun - just where is the "SAFETY" issue. As for the CPSA to even consider banning them, well it makes my p1ss boil. Why can't our governing body defend our sport instead of KOWTOWING to other organisations. Grow a pair of Cojones you at HQ, and do what we elect you, and pay your wages for. LOOKING AFTER THE MEMBERS.

Phil*

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we any closer/wiser to understanding whether this edict has yet been rescinded?
It seems that the board of the CPSA will re-visit their ludicrous decision at their next meeting in December.

They have agreed this ban without a shred of evidence being presented or considered - pure ignorance or prejudice or both.

We should all be responding to this "consultation" to let them know that we are not impressed with such flawed decision making that has the effect of denying quite few shooters of their sport if they do go ahead with the ban.

Email [email protected] now to get this turned over. If they can ban release triggers this week the same logic will see them banning pull triggers next week, then were all done.

Go on - email now, why not!

Here is my response to the CPSA.

Dear Nick,

Where to start with this idiotic decision I don't know. But here goes anyway.

The Board took a decision to ban release triggers. I was of the understanding that the Board, the staff and indeed the CPSA are there to encourage and promote clay shooting. Can you explain in simple terms how banning a system that allows some members to continue shooting, is in any way - promoting our sport.

Further more, if the Board can make decisions as appalling as this, it brings into my mind that this Board we now have is simply, not fit for purpose. To this end I will be consulting with fellow members what action we can take against our so called Directors.

Phil*

Do we know if there is a specific reason for the CPSA considering a ban? Have they had reports of accidental discharges?

It would be helpful to know. Or have I missed this?

Ian

Do we know if there is a specific reason for the CPSA considering a ban? Have they had reports of accidental discharges?

It would be helpful to know. Or have I missed this?

Ian
Ian,

It is supposedly because the ISSF have banned them. They have not seen any evidence or reasons they just know ISSF have imposed a ban so have followed like sheep without any consideration for why or any implications for their members. Ill conceived and ill considered seems a fitting description for this bit of board business. Fortunately one member of the board has an understanding of good governance and after voting against it brought it to our attention. At least now we can try to get the rest to see sense.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the update. I'm still a bit of a newbie but agree with the views already expressed. Will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers.

Ian,

It is supposedly because the ISSF have banned them. They have not seen any evidence or reasons they just know ISSF have imposed a ban so have followed like sheep without any consideration for why or any implications for their members. Ill conceived and ill considered seems a fitting description for this bit of board business. Fortunately one member of the board has an understanding of good governance and after voting against it brought it to our attention. At least now we can try to get the rest to see sense.

Are we the members of the Association allowed to know which Director has a brain, unlike the rest of the sheep on the Board. Baa Baa.

Phil*

This all further supports the need for people to assist with the upcoming Trigger Freeze research I am conducting. I have over 100 people taking part in it all with varying forms of flinch/freeze, plus a subject group of those without - one of the benefits for those suffering is release triggers. I have been speaking with Alan Rhone on this and he is assisting with subjects for the research. But I do need more subjects. I am self funding this study and in turn it will give facts, not conjecture on the subject, plus look at potential solutions and cures - at the moment release triggers are a solution. If you are really interested in this more I have recently written a piece in Shooting Times on the whole subject and why it happens - the technical wording is focal dystonia of the hand.

Please help and get in touch. All those taking part are receiving packs on Monday this week for an 12 month study, maybe the CPSA should look at these findings when the research is completed and hold on the decision - this research being self funded, is equally unbiased and fact based scientific study.

I have added the article below for people to read - hopefully it worked.

[click here to read the article]

Many of you won't be familiar with release triggers because they majority of shooters that use them shoot trap. I would estimate at a big event like the Krieghoff DTL a dozen or so shooters will be using a release trigger.

The problem comes when the gun is used by those unfamiliar with them. Referees handling guns following malfunctions or misfires have made mistakes. Personally, I feel a ban is completely unnecessary and I would encourage those that feel as I do to email Nick Fellows and tell him.

How about educating the officials instead of banning the triggers :huh:

Would the fact that officials and referees talking and observing from a position of ignorance and lack of subject knowledge be the REAL issue here??

Nothing wrong with release triggers if you take the time and trouble to educate yourself with how they function.

Semi -automatics are far more dangerous in my opinion.

A gentleman came to me the other day, across the ground, barrel first with one stuck in the magazine and one in the chamber. " It's jammed"

I made it safe but nearly lost the end of my finger in the process.

My finger will heal but I and many others in the area may have not

A gentleman came to me the other day, across the ground, barrel first with one stuck in the magazine and one in the chamber. " It's jammed"

I made it safe but nearly lost the end of my finger in the process.

My finger will heal but I and many others in the area may have not
Just unbelievable! :eek:

Robert,

No sadly that is nearly an every day occurrance somewhere in the UK.

Every week I stand alongside five people in a squad who have loaded guns and trust them with my life. When game shooting I raise and lower a loaded gun with people to both sides, in front and behind being trusted to cause them no harm. If users of a realease trigger accept that they will lose the target on a misfire by touching the safety or the top lever that is fine by me.

Robert,

No sadly that is nearly an every day occurrance somewhere in the UK.
This is somewhat terrifying and it surprises me that one does not hear of more shotgun accidents if this is the case.

With the small circle of clay shooters I have encountered everyone practises safe conduct with their shotguns and I was drilled in safety when I bought mine but thankfully come from a very safety concious target shooting sport where a jammed gun never leaves the pointing down range position on the firing point until it is cleared and made safe. I am also aware that in the event of a misfire the gun must remain pointing safely out of the cage down range in case the shell is a slow burner.

I have also always been taught (In Target Shooting) that everyone is effectively a range officer and has a duty to watch everyone else and pick them up on any bad or unsafe habits.

With semi automatic rifles and indeed all rifles we insist that either the bolt is removed or a breech "flag" is inserted so that everyone can see that a gun is safe. As I assume that a semi-auto shotgun does not break open there is no way that anyone other than the shooter can know or see at a glance that the gun is safe so why does nobody insist on breech flags for semi auto shotguns?

Don't be sidetracked by automatics - most shotguns are carried round shooting grounds in a ready to fire position only wrapped in canvas bags. People even lean on them. Many have handles on the bags so they can carry them horizontal.

Back