CPSA Ban Release Triggers... your thoughts?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
The CPSA have announced a 'consultation period' before a ban on release triggers - I've never used one, but understand that they help people with trigger flinch.

Here's the announcement from the CPSA:

The Board at its last meeting took a decision to ban the use of release triggers from 01/04/2013 due to safety considerations. This would be consistent with the move made in 2011 by the ISSF.

In view of the interest this decision has caused the Board has decided to hold the decision in abeyance and enter a period of consultation.

If any member wishes to submit his/her views on this matter please send a letter or e-mail by 30
th
November 2012 to Nick Fellows, CEO (
[email protected]
) who will collate the responses for future consideration by the Board.

Taken from the CPSA Website here :
https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/fixtures/2012/10/31/release-triggers-consultation

I'd be interested to understand ShootClay members views on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used one. I 've only ever seen a couple of guys who use them, both were K80 users who suffered a flinch. I have no idea whether or not they are dangerous though.

I know a couple of guys in the midlands area that have them fitted to cure trigger freeze and it seems to have worked for them, can't see why they'd be unsafe as long as only the owners use them.

Nicola very patiently explained how they work to me on fb. My conclusion from that is they are just as unsafe as a normal gun. The trigger still has to be pulled and opening the top lever and the gun makes them safe, where is the difference to a normal gun? Broken= safe, closed= dangerous. To mitigate the danger of any gun we train in the use and provide a safe backdrop to point a closed gun and to shoot into. As long as both of these things are done shooting should be safer than walking to work :)

I think that's exactly my point - I'm not sure how these could be any more or less dangerous than a standard trigger - so I'm in the 'don't understand' camp.

I think they'd only become dangerous if someone was to use it who didn't know it was a release trigger, then it could be "considered" dangerous, but if all safety precautions were adhered to mainly kept pointed down range then I still fail to see how it would be any more dangerous than a standard triggered gun. I bet there will be a few people upset at this decision as release triggers have allowed them to shoot to there capability when they have suffered from trigger freeze.

I think they'd only become dangerous if someone was to use it who didn't know it was a release trigger, then it could be "considered" dangerous, but if all safety precautions were adhered to mainly kept pointed down range then I still fail to see how it would be any more dangerous than a standard triggered gun. I bet there will be a few people upset at this decision as release triggers have allowed them to shoot to there capability when they have suffered from trigger freeze.
Or various disabilitys / ailments affecting the hands.

We should all be opposed to this measure IMO as some of us may need one in the future in order to continue with our sport.

Never heard of any incidents and there are more release triggers than you think out there.

So whats the point of a 'consultation period' if they are going to ban them anyway?

Would this decision have anything to do with the EU?

Worth noting, they should be marked with a red R so a ref knows they are release and can act accordingly in the event of checking a miss-fire. So look out for red Rs and see how many you can spot.

I think this is just penalizing a small minority who quite honestly have been shooting long enough to be more than safe and use these as a last resort to continue in their chosen sport.

Exactly right and thats my point we dont know if we may need one in the future. Seems to be more of them in use for dtl than anything, never seen any at other trap disciplines

Exactly right and thats my point we dont know if we may need one in the future. Seems to be more of them in use for dtl than anything, never seen any at other trap disciplines
You are of course right Ian. I wonder if they have any actual evidence to back up the banning of them? :angry:

Unfortunately the ISSF have already banned them I believe so whilst they could be retained for home based competition they are not allowed for Olympic, World Cup and Commonwealth Competitions and any others run under ISSF rules.

As with all such umbrella organisations they tend to be a law unto themselves so whilst they might deem it right for ISSF rules then I hope that CPSA will not close off a shooting hobby to a minority in this country if they have been safe to date and are always marked with a red R as required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth noting, they should be marked with a red R so a ref knows they are release and can act accordingly in the event of checking a miss-fire. So look out for red Rs and see how many you can spot.

I think this is just penalizing a small minority who quite honestly have been shooting long enough to be more than safe and use these as a last resort to continue in their chosen sport.
Anything to do with baboons....??

(I'm afraid I couldn't stop myself, Fuz..... :.: )

Anyway, I'm in the "don't understand" camp.....how can they be more dangerous than a standard trigger? Unless someone is using one who doesn't understand how to, as Andy said. Confused..... :huh:

Unfortunately the ISSF have already banned them I believe so whilst they could be retained for home based competition they are not allowed for Olympic, World Cup and Commonwealth Competitions and any others run under ISSF rules.

As with all such umbrella organisations they tend to be a law unto themselves so whilst they might deem it right for ISSF rules then I hope that CPSA will not close off a shooting hobby to a minority in this country if they have been safe to date and are always marked with a red R as required.
Robert, if it is left to such quangos we will all end up shooting shells full or rice propelled by compressed air and be surrounded by hazard tape on the layout, not to mention having to do a risk assessment before each shot! :.:

Back