Couple of questions from a Newbie.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worcs

Hi there.

I'm new to clay pigeon shooting and have a few questions, if you don't mind helping me out.

I've been having lessons for about 4 months, I think I've had 6 one hour lessons and probably hitting around 50%, my instructor says that's quite good but I'm not sure if they're just trying to give me confidence. Anyway, I applied for my SGC after my first lesson, I'm definitely hooked.

I'm under the umbrella of West Mercia Firearms and they have recently updated their waiting times for grants to 6 months (it was 90 days when I applied). I was wondering what happens after I get my licence. Obviously I'll want to buy a gun straight away (I've already got my eye on a Beretta 690 Black Edition), but do I then have to send of my certificate to have my new gun added to it and then wait god-knows-how-long for West Mercia Firearms to update my certificate before I can go shooting without my instructor?

Also, on my SGC application, I declared a caution I got when I was around 19 (I'm 36 now) for fighting and a fine I got for possession of Ecstasy, again when I was a lot younger. I'm neither a fighter nor a drug user, both offences had mitigating circumstances and have no other offences since my early 20's. Does anyone who has their licence have similar offences or know of anyone who has been refused a licence for this sort of thing? If you are being considered to be refused, would they still come and visit me? I'm sure if they came to my property and met me, they'd realise I'm not a threat!

One more thing. If there's anyone local to Worcestershire that's just starting up like me, or looking for someone to go shooting with, It would be great to get in touch. I have zero friends that have any interest in smashing clays and I can't afford to keep paying my instructor to be my shooting buddy! I've only been shooting Sporting but I'm keen to shoot DTL as I used to press and mark DTL and Skeet when i was 15 or so and DTL always seemed like the easiest discipline!

hi.

I don't think your aged offences are heinous enough to be a problem.

when you buy a gun the firearms dealer fills in your certificate with the details such as serial no, he gives you a form which you sign and post to your area firearms division. Job done no delay or anything.

hi.

I don't think your aged offences are heinous enough to be a problem.

when you buy a gun the firearms dealer fills in your certificate with the details such as serial no, he gives you a form which you sign and post to your area firearms division. Job done no delay or anything.
Thanks for your reply. I hope you're right. I'd be gutted if my application gets refused, I already feel massively invested in the sport. 

You have declared both (rightly so), so I can not see any problems.  I knew someone who failed to notify of a Caution when applying for his shotgun certificate, he later lost the certificate after his ex wife reported him for failing to notify regarding the Caution.  When you buy a gun, you do NOT send your certificate back. The seller enters the details of the gun on your certificate and you then notify West Mercia of those details. Some Forces will accept an Email, but I would also telephone to ensure that they had received the Email. Alternatively, you can write to them and send the letter by recorded delivery.

Back