Competition - Nerves Or Excitement

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40UP,

I prefer the Sordin's in every way, comfort, attenuation, clarity, compactness. I wear Sordins and lend out my Sportacs.

Thanks Salop, I'll take the plunge gel packs and all. No comebacks.

Haven't seen you at Sealand yet

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be at Sealand on my first free Saturday which will not be in the next two.

I have Nicola yes, only a few I admit but they all improved there consistency.

I know it sounds a little suspect if you like but the people I have done it with I can't name as a professional courtesy as they don't want it known that they have been doing it as unfortunately there is still a bit of a stigma attached to it.

Hopefully with Phil's help and all the press coverage it's now getting that will pass very soon.

I know the feeling. I cannot mention some of my clients either. :D :D :D :D

Got it. But have to say that I am not a fan of pm's.

You haven't been secretly coaching lord Lucan by any chance have you? I had my suspicions.....

Could we return to the subject please.

The original post asked for input on how to cope with nerves if your affected by them in competition.

Or how to get into the 'zone'.

Most serious competitors would dismiss that they require any psychological help at all and possibly would not pass on any tips for fear of giving someone that they perceived as a competitor any assistance.

Thankfully Phil and others have identified a need and an opportunity to pass on their knowledge.

Let's share our knowledge and improve our standards.

Bossy boots :)

I must say though, slopyone......you are getting very impressive. Did not know you were this knowledgeable. You have not got books out as well that we have not seen have you?

Thanks all, off to the Shooting Show this weekend, the article I will put together for you all next weekend and post a link on this thread.

Great shooting guys!!!

Nicola,

Graham Evans is a good example of someone who can turn concentration on. I shot with him on Sunday.

Says he's having his eyes fixed again - he was twice as good after the last operation. I'll watch him closely.

Got another for you,,,,,, (must add that these are not mine....but what clients have told me)

You have stepping onto the stand, gun is loaded, focus is directed to the action of the clay, you are ready to call 'pull'........and then you can hear your heart beat through your ear plugs as loud as a bass drum?
nic, i have a great way of sorting that one that i found by accident doing something else. ill email it to you as it will take me ages to write.

Last few days to get the questions in - remember I am giving a free post to all of the questions on the thread, so take advantage of the offer.

Brian.......did you forget or are you still typing it. .

Here's one for you Phil.

How does one evaluate or differentiate lack of fundamental shooting skill or psychological inbalance in a competitor?

Example:- a Gun can regularly score 6or7 ex 8 or cannot straight a stand, is it easy for you to identify poor technique or style or a mental 'hangup' lack of self belief. etc.,

Please explain.

Also like Nic I am waiting with baited breath for Bonzo's reply to the answer to 'distant drums'. ( wasn't that a hit for Del Shannon in the '60's?)

Here's one for you Phil.

How does one evaluate or differentiate lack of fundamental shooting skill or psychological inbalance in a competitor?
For what it's worth I'd take shooting skill over psyche most of the time. Nothing does as much good for your psychological balance as knowing how to hit stuff in the first place. Psyche is too often used as a crutch when the problem lies elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back