cocker spaniel

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, cross breeding usually increases hardiness and can (stress can, not will) remove some breed specific problems.

Also, I am a big exponent of 'the man make the the dog' - Treat it like a tw*t and it will behave like a tw*t.

What ever you go for, and spaniels are an excellent breed, enjoy it and put the time in as a pup. You will reap the rewards 10 fold mate.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Looking fwd to our first doggie Phil. The strange thing is that I have never had any interest in them in fact I would go as far as saying I disliked dogs I didn't get it at all until we started looking after our friends gm then his daughters cocker now I get it there fun and I want one. :)

every pup and person is different make sure you and your missus are consistent with the pup, if you don't want it to jump up on your good clothes with muddy paws then don't let it jump up ever, that kind of thing.

every pup and person is different make sure you and your missus are consistent with the pup, if you don't want it to jump up on your good clothes with muddy paws then don't let it jump up ever, that kind of thing.
And spaniels always seem manage to hit you at nads height.

Bryn is right, consistency is key. Otherwise, just like a child, it will play one off against the other. Sounds daft but mark my words!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I was goin post something but Phil knows so won't repeat it .weve Always had animals here, some taken in that have had horrible Start in their lives .it used to surprise me how some never took the time to get to know their dogs treat them like crap and complain how bad it is

I know someone who is always screaming and shouting at her dogs and they have become completely neurotic, barking and pulling on lead dogs.

Be firm, but quiet and loving and you will bring up a gem!

Wouldn't worry to much about the training, we train our working dogs, our pet (house) dogs train us they more a less have us fully trained again there 2 years old, have fun

Can't wait to post some pics of my own just need to find the right one but will be mid Feb as we have the big mad GM for two weeks end of Jan. Watch this space though :)

I intend to train doggie as a gun dog even though I won't actually work it my theory is that it will be good for mental stimulation and physical excersise and better than just a walk around the field. (For dog and for me)

so is basic training of only fetching the dummy thing when you tell it to etc a fairly easy thing to accomplish ?

What age should you start training ?

Is it better to use a whistle or voice command ?

Ian, take note of the advice shortlegs posted, the books he recommended are very good for 1st time gun dog trainers,

Training a dog well, will give you a lot of satisfaction for years to come, train it bad and it becomes a pain in the arse.

I've never met you , but I have a feeling that your the type of guy that likes to have things right, so take your time with it and get one thing right and ( programmed ) into the dogs brain before moving on to the next

I look forward to reading all about it over the next year or so, I hope all goes well

Thanks Ashley you are correct I do indeed like things right so I take on board all you say.

wot ashley said. Just takes lots of time, patience and consistency, don't be tempted overdo to rush things even if one skill does seems to have been absorbed. Some things they'll get straight away but they'll seem to take forever to learn others like us they have their strengths and weaknesses, like and dislikes, they can also get bored or disheartened always think 'toddler'.

Just ordered training spaniels by Joe irving.

Anyone else used this manual ?

Latest posts

Back