Coaching

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, little pictures of Ed all over the place. ......... too much. . Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Yeah, that's what my husband said.  :girlcrazy:  

Fluffy bunnies all over the place today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to put a word forward for steve nutbeam I had a halve day with him at the end of april and have not looked back I have shot 4 comps since and won something at all of them including going up to a class and 3rd at the classic.

thanks steve

Steve Nutbeam is a cracking coach and one of the best I've seen too. Wouldn't hesitate to second ickle47's recommendation :)

Steve Nutbeam is a cracking coach and one of the best I've seen too. Wouldn't hesitate to second ickle47's recommendation :)
Did you know that Mr Nutbeam gave lessons to a certain gentleman by the name of Mr Ash?

I would like to agree with the above comments about Steve's coaching, over the years I have been to him a number of times and found his advice spot on.

Without having experienced it first hand, surely its pretty hard to make informed criticism?

And surely by having taken instruction from some of the best around that indicates a willingness to learn and develop, not just as shooters but as people...

Ed,

I would not pay the amount of money required unless the instructor was a World Class shooter himself.

How on earth can someone explain how to shoot difficult targets if they have not competed at a high level and have developed the sight pictures required to constantly break clays thrown at all angles and speeds.

If you had booked Gebben Miles or Wendell Cherry I would not have uttered one single word.

Discussion is always welcome!

I may point out that neither Jose Mourinho or Alex Ferguson had a particularly stellar playing career but if they told me how to kick a football, i'd probably listen...

I'll pm you when Gebben is coming over  :spiteful:

I shall await your pm :thumbsup:

Don't forget that I'm just a poor pensioner and I shall expect a discount.

I have had a half day with Rob Eaton whose local ground is Wylye although he will travel if worth his while.  I found him to be excellent and got me breaking the difficult birds at Wylye and on their skeet layout.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

fyi.....Vicki and I have spent north of $300,000 in the last 20 years working with the scientific and physiological community as well as the shooting community in UK as well as USA and as a matter of fact we have a session booked next week with a coach that is said to be the best in the world in  coaching someone to rope a calf off a horse......what we have found is that coaching is about your experiences and how well you can communicate and how many times you have communicated to performers at all levels....in fact i met ED at a conference in las vegas and we did not understand 60% of the words they used but we got some pearls from it at a price of $10,000....the unfortunate thing about the scientific community is they don't understand the concept of looking at the target and pointing the gun ahead of the target .....they are consumed with the aiming concept and as a result we have gone down quiet a few dead ends but at the end of each there is something to learn....the difficult thing you will find in learning from a top performer is that what they see due to neural suppression is not what you will be able to see without going through  the same process that they have gone through to be able to do what they do...there are no short cuts.......

not to say you cant learn from them but you cant expect the brain to reproduce a picture in your mind like someone else's brain does in there mind....the brain doesn't learn and output that way....it is all a process and when you know the process at which the brain learns the quickest then learning 

accelerates......bottom line is that you cant do what someone else does as good as they do it.....you have to go through the 

learning process just like they went through in order to see what they see.....the more times they have explained to others how

that process happens the quicker they can communicate it and the quicker  you will get it...this is not to say you cant learn from a great shot but the science has proven that you might be able to do what they do when they are there you cant do it on your own with out going through the process.  this may be counter intuitive but scientifically it is proven and correct.....looking forward to continuing the discussion when we have time...GA

fyi.....Vicki and I have spent north of $300,000 in the last 20 years working with the scientific and physiological community as well as the shooting community in UK as well as USA and as a matter of fact we have a session booked next week with a coach that is said to be the best in the world in coaching someone to rope a calf off a horse......what we have found is that coaching is about your experiences and how well you can communicate and how many times you have communicated to performers at all levels....in fact i met ED at a conference in las vegas and we did not understand 60% of the words they used but we got some pearls from it at a price of $10,000....the unfortunate thing about the scientific community is they don't understand the concept of looking at the target and pointing the gun ahead of the target .....they are consumed with the aiming concept and as a result we have gone down quiet a few dead ends but at the end of each there is something to learn....the difficult thing you will find in learning from a top performer is that what they see due to neural suppression is not what you will be able to see without going through the same process that they have gone through to be able to do what they do...there are no short cuts.......

not to say you cant learn from them but you cant expect the brain to reproduce a picture in your mind like someone else's brain does in there mind....the brain doesn't learn and output that way....it is all a process and when you know the process at which the brain learns the quickest then learning

accelerates......bottom line is that you cant do what someone else does as good as they do it.....you have to go through the

learning process just like they went through in order to see what they see.....the more times they have explained to others how

that process happens the quicker they can communicate it and the quicker you will get it...this is not to say you cant learn from a great shot but the science has proven that you might be able to do what they do when they are there you cant do it on your own with out going through the process. this may be counter intuitive but scientifically it is proven and correct.....looking forward to continuing the discussion when we have time...GA
Well said Gil.
People......ALL good coaches have taken lessons from other coaches AND other known top performers....there is nothing wrong with this.....it is the best way to learn and absorb other people's ideas that may increase your own knowledge ....or way of putting things over.

One coach cannot take you all the way....only 'you' can by learning and absorbing what works for you..!

Last week in Porto I sat and discussed with several top shooters just exactly how they prepared their shot in the 20 seconds before putting the gun up. It was amazing how similar the replies were from the different countries . One thing sure was that the eyes and the brain and how they used them.....figured highly ....these people did not just get there...put the gun up...and shout Pull... :laugh:

Last edited:
Ed,

I would not pay the amount of money required unless the instructor was a World Class shooter himself.

How on earth can someone explain how to shoot difficult targets if they have not competed at a high level and have developed the sight pictures required to constantly break clays thrown at all angles and speeds.

If you had booked Gebben Miles or Wendell Cherry I would not have uttered one single word.
Sorry but that is utter tosh! There are plenty of world class shots who cannot teach at all, coaching and decent coaches do not have to be world class shots to be able to coach you to a high level. Coaching is about helping the student improve his/her shooting and does this through knowing how to teach technique, gun position, pick up points, etc, then once that has been mastered you need to have sports psychology in order to prepare yourself mentally (just ask George, Richard and Ben), and psychologists sometimes don't even have to be shooters in order to help a shooter!

I'm glad that I grew up in pre internet days and learned to shoot without all the crap that seems necessary today or even a must have. Thank goodness I've never been to see a psychologist either as I've never needed one.

If you want to be a "B" class shooter go and see a coach who can only shoot "B" class scores. If you have the skill to improve yourself and not everybody has by the way then pay for coaching at a higher level to become a better shot, but winning is a different thing again.

Latest posts

Back