Checklist buying a second hand gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnagpal26

Hi all,

Haven't really seen much discussion on this before so thought I'd put it out there.

Is there a checklist as such when looking to buy a second hand gun. (Obviously apart from the importance of gun fit)

Any visible signs of use to be aware of or look out for. (Could be maker specific too based on your past experiences)
Any questions to put to the gun shop/seller when purchasing.

I think it'd be good to compile a checklist of sorts 1) for myself and 2) for anyone else ever considering a second hand gun in the future.

Cheers!

Does the top lever have any lock-up left in it? I.e is it sitting to the side or vertically. That’s the main thing apart from visual checks and general feelings of stuff being loose.

If I get bored over the weekend I try and pull a list together - there must be 10 things I've forgotten to do in the past. First two are,

Check the serials numbers of the recover and barrels match,
Take the forend off and give it a shake to check for a 'headache'

etc.

If I get bored over the weekend I try and pull a list together - there must be 10 things I've forgotten to do in the past. First two are,

Check the serials numbers of the recover and barrels match,
Take the forend off and give it a shake to check for a 'headache'

etc.
Some of the Beretta or Remington semi autos can have differing numbers on the receiver and barrels. I have just sold such a weapon. It was a Beretta 300 which had a more sought after, Beretta 303 multi choked barrel fitted.
The best advice when buying a used gun is to try and get someone more experienced than yourself to go with you.

Focussing on the gun only here (fit obviously being very personal etc), I would check how it comes apart and how "tight" it feels when assembling. When disassembled, look for the obvious signs of wear: on the cheeks of the action, sides of the monobloc, underneath the barrels just in front of the monobloc, mating surfaces of the forend, wear on the joints / hingepin, the locking pins/bars and where the levers sits when locked. Also, unscrew both chokes if possible. Check all metal surfaces for rust and the barrels for signs of rust or pitting inside. If allowed, take of the stock and look at the internals, but I don't think many shops will let you do that. Do check the wood of the forend and the stock for cracks (and/or previous repairs) meticulously, as they can be hard to spot.

It should be fairly easy to tell if the gun was looked after properly, and whether it assembles (and comes apart) as it should. Also, it should be right for its age and amount of use: brand new "swirl polishing" on the mating surfaces of an older used gun would have me scratching my head. Try before you buy, and that includes checking all functions: safety, barrel selector, trigger (duh), detachable trigger, forend, chokes, etc.

only bit of advice I can give you when you find your next purchase don’t pay the ticket price the dealer has on the gun as it is now 100% a buyer’s market, shooting is on its knees with the amount of people giving up shooting because of the eye watering cost of cartridges together with the licensing nightmare.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Haven't really seen much discussion on this before so thought I'd put it out there.

Is there a checklist as such when looking to buy a second hand gun. (Obviously apart from the importance of gun fit)

Any visible signs of use to be aware of or look out for. (Could be maker specific too based on your past experiences)
Any questions to put to the gun shop/seller when purchasing.

I think it'd be good to compile a checklist of sorts 1) for myself and 2) for anyone else ever considering a second hand gun in the future.

Cheers!
Tv
if multi choke check the chokes will come out.

Also, in addition to all the above advice.. if the gun stock is fitted with an adjustable comb, make sure that the screw fittings that facilitate the adjustment aren’t seized….. especially with the Beretta memory system adjustable comb,(I think it’s now been discontinued) these can be a nightmare to fix………..

I'm not trying to make sales for this shop and I have to travel to go there. Bamfords in Chorley have a bargain bucket. My over under was £95.

Now their policy is simple. 3 months warranty on any problems.

I had to change the previous one from them because it had a stuck choke so they said you can either swap it. Try and repair it or money back. I swapped and have never had a problem since.

You can't get better than that.
So for a used gun then Bamfords is a good choice to consider. I took my mate for a 20g and it's brilliant.. was £85

I live Manchester so have Cheshire guns and Branthwaites but I will always drive to Chorley if I want a guarantee on used shotgun airgun or fac..

It also takes out the headache of looking for all the possible problems where if you do buy private there is no return policy.

At sub-90 quid a go, for some brands such a purchase would be worth it for the multi-chokes alone :D

I’d happily have a vote for Bamfords also. Living in South Yorkshire I do have a fair few shops between me and them but have always found them honest and helpful. Part exchanged a couple of guns with them and also purchased outright and always had a good experience. The Bargain Bin is worth a trip seen some amazing value guns in there.

I’d happily have a vote for Bamfords also. Living in South Yorkshire I do have a fair few shops between me and them but have always found them honest and helpful. Part exchanged a couple of guns with them and also purchased outright and always had a good experience. The Bargain Bin is worth a trip seen some amazing value guns in there.
+1 for Bamfords

Latest posts

Back