Changing your gun safe

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinxy72

hi all .. I'm thinking of changing my gun safe for a bigger / better model .. but … it will have to go in the same space .. the safe i want will fit ok so thats not an issue … whats the procedure as far as the police are concerned for changing your safe ?? had a look on the mets site but couldn't find any info … any ideas anyone??

thanks

carl

I would just do it as long as you are sure it is as good as before. Let sleeping dogs lie. I moved house, told them and they didn't want to come and reinspect!

Fit it then call your local police and tell them its changed should they wish to inspect it. They probably won't but give them the opportunity. Whilst there no legal requirement to inform them honesty is the best policy. If they've made a note of the make & type of cabinet last time they visited they may not take kindly to not being informed of the change.

If its in the same place plod probably wont even notice, when mine checked he didnt even touch it, just a cursory look. Could have been just stood in the corner for all he knew!

Fuz, you are so right, a friend of mine took his off the wall while decorating forgot to screw it back and the next 2 visits by plod didn't notice, only when he went to move house did he find it wasn't screwed to the wall. They have never checked mine to see if its attached or not

Jonz

Blimey the met swung on mine :.:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just do it as long as you are sure it is as good as before. Let sleeping dogs lie. I moved house, told them and they didn't want to come and reinspect!
yes its a better make and model than the one I've already got .. its one of the buffalo river range

If its in the same place plod probably wont even notice, when mine checked he didnt even touch it, just a cursory look. Could have been just stood in the corner for all he knew!
as i said they swung on mine .. intent of pulling it off the wall .. or the wall down i think

Fit it then call your local police and tell them its changed should they wish to inspect it. They probably won't but give them the opportunity. Whilst there no legal requirement to inform them honesty is the best policy. If they've made a note of the make & type of cabinet last time they visited they may not take kindly to not being informed of the change.
yes they did make a note of the details

My last inspection was just back in April and the officer had a gripe at me for having moved my cab and not telling them. He also said I should let them know if I change it in any way or add another one. I got the impression it was more to do with keeping the records straight than anything else.

So my advice is the same as 274368. Better to tell them.

It is true that an "approved cabinet" isn't compulsory. The requirement is only to show secure storage, but as far as I'm concerned if the cops like a cabinet - which they do - then that's what I'll have. I don't see any point in being awkward about it.

cheers all .. the cabinet is 'police approved' and its made beyond both BS 7558/92 …. it is also one of the few cabinets that is fire rated .. hence one of the reasons I'm changing to this as one of my neighbours has had the fire brigade out twice within a month … idiot isn't the word :eek: .. but the main reason is i need more space ;)

I will fit it then inform them that i have

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I would say is that if the new cabinet has a higher gun capacity, inform them because the police seemed very keen to note what number of guns my cabinet would hold.

One great tip I was given some years ago was to rawl bolt the cabinet to the wall as usual but before tightening, squirt builders silicone behind the cabinet. This stuff will hold better than rawl bolts and to remove, use a retractable blade knife to cut through the dried silicone.

I had the biggest copper hang on to my cabinet without the bolts in place as I had just changed it's position and forgotton to replace them, the silicone held it firm. It was only when I opened the cabinet to show them my guns did I spot that the bolts were just loose in the anchor but they did not notice.

Phil

oh no need to worry about fixing philpot … have a way that no coppers will pull it off the wall ;) chemical bonding .. used for everything from foundations , holding stairs up , holding industrial air con units and ventilation systems up … its easier to take down a wall than to move these :p

oh no need to worry about fixing philpot … have a way that no coppers will pull it off the wall ;) chemical bonding .. used for everything from foundations , holding stairs up , holding industrial air con units and ventilation systems up … its easier to take down a wall than to move these :p

Jaysus, to think 50 years ago we just hung them on a nail on the wall, and did not lock the doors when we went out either. Benefit of living in a small village I suppose. My how times have changed - for the better, I don't think so.

Angel.

Funny old thing cabinets. Our county don't care how many guns you put in it as long as you can close the door. The one next door reckon that if it's a four gun cabinet, that's all that's allowed in it. best to tell them though as it stops any problems when they next come out, if they can be bothered.

Latest posts

Back