Changing Guns for a new season

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But why?

Is a change of brand so desirable and are they so necessary?
I'm quite certain, as I presume are you, that rational thot has little influence on those decisions.  I still do wonder tho, I mean .................. Krieghoffffff?

Personally, I am currently suffering a gun lust that is irrational in any aspect I care to examine other than "I want it".  If I had children I would trade them gladly.  go figure

What brand may that be Wonko ( Charlie) I may have one sulking in the cabinet. :D

I’ve recently changed gun (well, it’s being made as we speak). 

I changed not to add clays to my card. I changed after meeting the Rizzini family that make the guns and getting so much insight in to the process; I instantly feel a lot more connected to the finished article rather than just getting something off the shelf. 

It was also a chance to get a made to measure stock and an upgrade in atheistic from my previous gun. 

The gun journey seems to be a fairy well trodden route that ends in 3 popular destinations... Krieghoff, Perazzi or a Miroku Mk38. 
WHAT  ?   They did not try and persuade you to invest in one of their Lincoln range then  ?      :angel:

I'm quite certain, as I presume are you, that rational thot has little influence on those decisions.  I still do wonder tho, I mean .................. Krieghoffffff?

Personally, I am currently suffering a gun lust that is irrational in any aspect I care to examine other than "I want it".  If I had children I would trade them gladly.  go figure
Can you get a Miroku in the united states of Trump !

Balltrap, asked

"Can you get a Miroku in the united states of Trump !"

Sadly no , Browning refuse to recognise them in the U.S. but I have organised a few imports through Premier Guns .

I'm thinking about it. Going from my ATA to a Miroku 38 trap adjustable comb (used). Not that I will shoot any better, but in the hope of a long term gun that will stay with me for years on land thus get to know it better and shoot it better in the long run). Nowt wrong with the ATA though. 

Good thread though, and I envy those who can afford the high end stuff. Envy in a good way that is. I just can't afford it, but if I could I'd definitely go for it also. Not that I think it would make me any better, but I appreciate the luxury feel it has. However I have a difficult time getting over a weapon not being a tool (which it has been for me more than 25 years) 

I do get the marketing side of things though. Sure Champions are paid to shoot certain guns and ammo. It's a way of living, and they will go to the the company that gives the best salary (all included) . Just like any other profession. 

The brand and highend guns reminds me of what goes on in the bicycle community. I have no doubt that there is some very good shots in this forum (competitively on national and international levels) that will benefit from the best clay guns on the market. It will give them that 2 percent that can mean the difference between a final or not. But most of us wouldn't (apart from the luxury thing). Just as bicycles. On amateur raceday you'll see some guys show up on 8-9000£ bikes, and the will still get worse placement than some of the blokes on 1500£ bikes. Or constantly getting "better" gear groups, ceramic bearings and so on and still not perform better. But they still have the satisfaction in riding on a bike that could be in the peleton in Tour de France. And that we can't take away from them. Marketing is a powerful thing :wink:

What brand may that be Wonko ( Charlie) I may have one sulking in the cabinet. :D
All I feel free to reveal is that it is Italian and would consume all of the $ recovered by flipping guns not in the rotation over the last few years.  It would be a shamefully overreaching purchase.  I'm letting the situation mature.  Perhaps in a few months ..............

thankfully my bikes are old, steel, and Italian

but still too close to home in ref to the above gun

Just as bicycles. On amateur raceday you'll see some guys show up on 8-9000£ bikes, and the will still get worse placement than some of the blokes on 1500£ bikes. Or constantly getting "better" gear groups, ceramic bearings and so on and still not perform better. But they still have the satisfaction in riding on a bike that could be in the peleton in Tour de France. And that we can't take away from them. Marketing is a powerful thing :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonko & LarsJ,

Good points , well made .

I would love to have a Fabbri in my stable but sadly I cannot justify their price tag, but the way they close is an experience in itself .

Realising that the Krieghoff is based upon a Remington from the 1930's and shamelessly copied and not really improved since then , but due to clever marketing and advertising it has deceived many for decades ,

it has always amazed me why no one has copied Winchester 's .

Now THERE is an iconic brand . Can any of you oldies remember how beautifully they clicked closed ?

I wonder how well a resurrected Grand European would be received in today's market with suitable advertising?

Wonko & LarsJ,

Good points , well made .

I would love to have a Fabbri in my stable but sadly I cannot justify their price tag, but the way they close is an experience in itself .

Realising that the Krieghoff is based upon a Remington from the 1930's and shamelessly copied and not really improved since then , but due to clever marketing and advertising it has deceived many for decades ,

Now THERE is an iconic brand . Can any of you oldies remember how beautifully they clicked closed ?

I wonder how well a resurrected Grand European would be received in today's market with suitable advertising?
I have always wondered the exact same. One of these with the right stock and a bit of modern fettling would rip the scene apart and what's more it will walk the walk too and whoever gets to front it will win with it from day one. 

Colnago, Bianchi , De Rosa or Pinarello  :D
Masi, Colnago, Sannino, Basso

On the Winchester thing - early on I got one, 101, for my wife.  The recoil was so excessive it gave her a black eye.  I told her she was doing it wrong and shot one target with it and sold it.  Seems to have been a common experience here in the US.  Ignorant at the time or I would have checked the downpitch which I have since learned to be a massive contributor to perceived recoil.  OTOH I had a Winchester 101 American Flyer 28"/30"  combo that had WinChokes in all the barrels.  It had no recoil issues at all.  Using it as trade goods is at the top of my list of bad moves and still regret losing it to impulse.  Ah, well.

I have always wondered the exact same. One of these with the right stock and a bit of modern fettling would rip the scene apart and what's more it will walk the walk too and whoever gets to front it will win with it from day one. 
Yes I remember how they clicked closed in hindsight really now regret selling mine many years ago and have to agree with you both that they would take some beating if they re-appeared 

Yes I remember how they clicked closed in hindsight really now regret selling mine many years ago and have to agree with you both that they would take some beating if they re-appeared 
I had a Winchester 6500 sporter when they first came out, it was a brilliant gun, why I sold it and got a Beretta 682x I will never know.......Young and stupid comes to mind ! but I have learned to never buy a Beretta again, now old and wise  :rolleyes:

Just put an 8500 up for sale as i don't use it.

Also have a 6500 converted trap with thinwall Teagues if it were a 32 i would shoot nothing else.

Never seen one till a near ubused example popped up at premier guns,by the time i had asked the price it was sold....regret not just saying i'll have it :wacko:

Scored a brand new stock and forend for it boxed and sleeved not to long ago.

I started trap shooting with a Nilkko 5300. It was too big fpre as a Junior but could still hit 25 DTL with it .  Love to find it again. It's a long story but basically I gave up shooting for a while and took it to a shop to sell it,  but it went missing. I guess they sold it but it was a few years later when I inquired after starting again but the records of it seem to be hard to find.

While on the subject. I had a sxs that I would like to trace.

It was quite unusual. It is a 12g with 32"Barrels and had the makers name Burma Arms Rangoon stamped on the rib. 

The current owner may have bought it several years ago from Malmo Guns when it was owned by the previous owner. 

If it jogs a memory please let me know.

I could be wrong but I am sure that Dick Fletton used a old Winchester to win the Vet Cat UT European Championship this year maybe Greg would know. 

Back