Cartridges Brands

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Just doing research and trying to understand Cartridges and planning on when i get my own gun what brand i would stick to. Also i want to do some field work so planning that too. For clay im thinking Hull Comp X 21 gm 7.5 Fibre. Anyone use and rates these?? or any other suggestions? For Field work mainly flying quarry im not sure what brand to go with i know it should be 30 gm 6 but what is a good brand to go with? If not any other suggestion?? And tbh it will be a while off until i have had some lessons got me own gun and shoot a few times after that at clays.

Cheers JayJay

Last edited by a moderator:
The hull 21g will be great for starting out. Can use them anywhere, inexpensive, low recoil. If you progress to competition, things will change, but a good start.

CSC3

What gun are you thinking about? The 21gm Comp-X has so little recoil that it's pretty marginal on Beretta O/Us whether the inertia is enough to switch to the 2nd barrel and if you're leaning towards a semi there could be problems too, not only due to the very light recoil, but also because the shell case is ½ cm shorter than the 70mm standard.

24gm shells don't cost a lot extra but have a bit more punch and I think they would be a better choice.

Hi Jay Jay. Whilst trying NOT to confuse you, We use Hull 21's for corporate work and on those just starting out shooting. They have relatively little or no recoil. They can as Westward says, stop the inertia recoild systems working on some guns. The only Auto that seems to work perfectly normally with them is the Remington Versamax, if that helps. I would recommend 24gr shells for light recoil with good patterns and if you are going up to live game, Hull, High Pheasant, Eley VIP and Express Supreme game seem to be what everyone asks for.

Hey Awesome advice guys just the stuff i wanted to hear! And the gun i'll probably be shooting is a Beretta O/U of some sort since iv shot some a few times now over the last two days and i really like them! and tbh im not worried about the recoil since im a big built so dont know if i should just use 28 gm? but if not 24 gm sound good to me! And darkside are they Fiber wad? and what do you think i should go for 7.5, 8 or 9??

Cheers JayJay

i like the hull comp-x 21's .. pref them to the hull comp-x 28's .. found they patterned better in my gun .. believe u can now get a 24g too .. though aint tried them .. great starting cart .. i even used them for DTL without a problem .. though with the recent price rise not as cheap as they use to be

mrs jasper uses eley first 24grm 7 1/2 plas wad.. these seem to break any target any where , and she never complains about recoil....i use eley olympic 28grm 7 1/2 for everything including reg comps. ace they are and good value.

for pigeons and pheasant / partridge etc. try nobel smini . superb and reasonable money . from ladds of crediton i think.

The HULL Intercomp is a very good and low recoil 24g cartridge, probably the softest on the market today. It will recycle a Beretta as its something we have tested on several occasions in the past for customers.

The subject of recoil is very long one but take it from us old boys that have been shooting 100,000s of over 28 grams cartridges for more years than we can remember. Don't do it if its not necessary...and it rarely is, no matter how big you are. Consistent recoil can do far more damage to the human body than you can imagine.

So if the macho man inside takes over and says use 28gram cartridges, then at least have the sense to find a soft one like the Hull Comp X 28g.

But what ever they are for, try a few boxes of different types as they can perform differently in some guns.

When Hull introduced their 21gm load they were very soft to shoot and would not cycle through my 391. I bought some recently and now they do cycle through my 391 and the felt recoil from my F3 has increased as well.

They have changed something in the recipe. I also have some Exress 24gm in fibre which I bought a few years ago, these are quite soft to shoot compared to the same Express loaded in a plaswad bought recently. Costs are being cut and the result is more recoil.

Cheers for the advice Rob i only thought about the 28gm because i thought it was better in some way so i wanted to start out right no ego involve i come with an open mind ready to learn the right way. What would you all say the pro and Con are to 21, 24 and 28 gm if any? And i would like to say thanks again to you all in helping me understand the ins and outs of the awesome sport ! Your help is very much appreciated and definitely being taken on board !!!

JayJay

Quite simply, 28g is 34% more pellet than 21g! This will usually come with more recoil, because the cartridges are loaded with more propellant (explosive) to push more weight forward. 21g is fine, but it's like using a smaller bat to hit a ball.

It is of course a bit more complex than that, as the pattern of pellets is also important. A high class 24g cartridge will be more consistent than a cheap 28g. Remember that the cartridge is about 1% of the equation at your stage of learning. It's only 5% when you're in AAA, SO DON'T GET DISTRACTED. Find an inexpensive local cartridge that doesn't recoil too much. When you have shot 10,000 of them, think about the detail.

Cheers,

CSC3

Cheers CSC3 im a bit of a perfectionist and can't help but over think things. I get about obsessed and enjoy learning the ins and outs of everything. And last question about Cartridges i PROMISE ! Reason behind the shot size for clay? And is 7.5 the size most use or?

Cheers JayJay

Jay stay well clear of books and videos. They'll only confuse. Everyone has their own style, best to learn yours shooting at real targets.

JJ, I believe that for Sporting 7.5 28gm is the most popular choice,probably because it offers the best combination of impact power and pattern density.

Next most used would be size 8 I reckon which offers a slight trade off in impact power against a more dense pattern.

For close targets some will use the occasional 9 shot but at your stage of the game I would stick with 7.5's and concentrate on technique.

Vic.

Latest posts

Back