Cartridge prices on the way up.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could be a short term increase though if you look at the graph above lead prices plummeted by 20% over the space of a week then went on the increase again. The general trend is up though :(  

There is a brand of cartridge, Solognac, on sale at Decathlon that in the time I have been shooting , 4 years, has not varied in price by more than €8 per thousand... be interesting to see what happens to these. Currently  €160 which for some time has been the base price for cartridges here.

edit

Just checked just now the price is up €16 per thou since last week now €176 per thou !

Last edited by a moderator:
Rupert, I worked it out on the difference that they charge for 7 grams per cartridge in their different shot loads .

Lead approximately £1500 per tonne  Hull's ratio = £2571-50 per tonne = £1000 to turn it into shot ?

How did you work this out?

Just had a ring round all the shops in my area and bought all the shells the wife shoots.Every little helps.

At Mickley Hall today was offered 10k Smart Strike @ £177/1000, not what i use so not certain if this is good, but they are still there.
Smart Strike pastic are great cartridges and £177 is a good price too!

Cartridge prices are just a big piss take by the manufacturers end of.
Difficult to argue with that.  Here in the US it is said that the target cart market is a fraction of the total with the hunting folks dominating the sales.  Prices on target loads here run from about $200 to $400/1000.  That's about double from ten years ago.  Every reason imaginable has been put out as the reason with lead being the most common.  

there is as well a political/market component which you also seem to be experiencing.

We're all doomed.  Might as well get used to it.

Lead approximately £1500 per tonne  Hull's ratio = £2571-50 per tonne = £1000 to turn it into shot ?
I'm sure you are just not aware of the incredibly complicated process involved there.  Most of the process involves meeting in star chambers where the limits of bending over the shooters is the topic.

Wonko ,

Years ago we had an American  TV programme 'Shaft'.

I can report he is alive and well , living in the UK producing cartridges.

He can often be heard in the Boardroom saying " How much can we shaft them this month". :lol:

I freely admit, with no shame whatsoever that I never had the misfortune to view that program.  I was however a true fan of (Uncle) Benny Hill and I'm sure his program was superior in every way.

Rupert, I worked it out on the difference that they charge for 7 grams per cartridge in their different shot loads .

Perhaps if they didn't sponsor so many shooters they could keep the price down for those of us who actually have to buy them and we would only have to pay for our own instead of other peoples? 

Perhaps if they didn't sponsor so many shooters they could keep the price down for those of us who actually have to buy them and we would only have to pay for our own instead of other peoples? 
In fairness there are very few sponsored shooters who get free cartridges most sponsored shooters get trade price I believe or some discount and it's not a huge amount.

I've been ringing local gunships for prices and a ball park figure for "budget" 28gm fibres appears to now be £190-200. Sovereigns and Blackgolds etc are around £270ish in fibre. Who's gonna pay that for a clay load?!

Around 8-9 years ago there was a sharp price increase which saw the birth of the 21gm load at a much reduced price. These are now virtually the same price as 28gm loads despite having 7gms less lead in them. I don't believe the manufacturers are playing fair. My hope is market forces will come in to play. If everyone bought the cheapest (lowest margin) shells I'm sure manufacturers would feel the pinch and cheaper imported brands would re-appear.

On a lighter note I managed to source 5000 Imperial plastics and fibres at £145 a thou. A trip up to the North East this afternoon and I'm stocked up for 12 months and have saved a minimum of £250 I'd have thought. (Fuel wasn't my expense). It'll be interesting to see how prices compare when I next stock up. Bradford Stalker are down to their last pallet with no more available. Last year I was using Kent's at £150 from Malmo. They have disappeared now as well.

PM.

Wonko ,

Years ago we had an American  TV programme 'Shaft'.

I can report he is alive and well , living in the UK producing cartridges.

He can often be heard in the Boardroom saying " How much can we shaft them this month". :lol:
Must be Australian ... before determining "How much can we shaft them this month" been heard to say "They're still buying them!"

The cheapest we can get at current conversion is just under £200 per 1000, and just over £200 per 1000 is really the new norm. 

A few weeks back I had the last of the Kent Velocity plus from our local supplier at the old rate of £160 per k.  or 165. I can't remember.  Anyway, he said with the price increases they would be £175.  In fact the cheapest he can now do them is £190.

His cheapest 28g fibre 7.5 is now Fiocchi TT1 at £169.

A few weeks back I had the last of the Kent Velocity plus from our local supplier at the old rate of £160 per k.  or 165. I can't remember.  Anyway, he said with the price increases they would be £175.  In fact the cheapest he can now do them is £190.

His cheapest 28g fibre 7.5 is now Fiocchi TT1 at £169.
Yes me too, gone over from Gamebore to Fiocchi, in the immortal words of Enoch Powell, "we should all vote with our feet!"

This might be your last chance to get these at this price.  I paid a bit less than this when I opened this thread.  JC are based in Oxfordshire - and you can go to collect if you don't want to pay the delivery charge.  I believe these are just re-badged Gamebore velocity.

Gamebore Kent MMXVI 12Ga 28gm Fibre 7.5
£169.00/1000

http://www.justcartridges.com/bin-ends

This might be your last chance to get these at this price.  I paid a bit less than this when I opened this thread.  JC are based in Oxfordshire - and you can go to collect if you don't want to pay the delivery charge.  I believe these are just re-badged Gamebore velocity.

Gamebore Kent MMXVI 12Ga 28gm Fibre 7.5
£169.00/1000

http://www.justcartridges.com/bin-ends
I just bought 500 of these.

Note: People in your workplace are super polite to you if you have them delivered there.   :D

Back