Cartridge prices on the way up.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in France it goes without saying exchange rates are important to me as I have to change money and do keep an eye on the predictions of so called experts. Unfortunately the opinion at the moment is parity for the pound against the euro sometime in 2017... not good news at all :(  

I actually think this could cause a lot of expats to return to the UK as many are on a pension which has taken a massive hit because of the exchange rate... am I returning ... not a f'n chance if what I read in the BBC news and other British media sources is anything like true the UK sounds like a very nasty, intolerant and divided country right now.
Bit like France then.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Hull prices look pretty shocking. Other brands looking good if they don't follow..

Lead prices spiked way up in 2009 era, but dropped back in last few years, with 10% rise in last year. Forex rate will hurt a bit, but I can't see justification of 8% on retail prices in the last few months. Market forces will dictate what happens. 

Ordered a slab of Express Power Gold to try out but when they arrived they had already gone up by approx. £12 a thou so will not be buying any more of those.  So much for British manufacturers helping to keep prices down, they just can't help themselves when it comes to jumping on the gravy train and screwing their customers.  

Market forces always dictate.  If cartridges can be imported cheaper - they will.  There are shipping issues of course, but not insurmountable.  For game cartridges, there is at least one inedependent manufacturer - proper cartridges - who came into existence BECAUSE  the usual suspects were taking the pee on pricing.  Apparently 32g of #7 shot costs the same as 32g of #5 shot - yet somehow the cartridges cost 50% more  :no:

The new Hull prices look pretty shocking. Other brands looking good if they don't follow..

Lead prices spiked way up in 2009 era, but dropped back in last few years, with 10% rise in last year. Forex rate will hurt a bit, but I can't see justification of 8% on retail prices in the last few months. Market forces will dictate what happens. 
 Although made in Britain a lot will depend on where they buy the components. If they get their powder and case materials from Italy straight off they are paying about 15% more than they were in June. If they manufacture all their own stuff in house then they have less excuses. I often wonder why I see no British made cartridges for sale down here when Italian, Spanish and even German are common. Is it because they are too expensive because of production costs or FOREX ? If the latter then the ball is in their court now surely and they should be exporting. Another thought is that British cartridge production is small scale compared to Italian, French and Spanish countries where shooting is a huge sport ? What ever if the exchange rates have anything to do with it British made should be more affordable now in Euroland.

Yes. I'm a manufacturer and product price does depend on how much imported material goes into a product now. Of course, non U.K. Clients can stand a price rise from the UK, as it counter balances the forex discount they will get. Hurts UK customers though. How much of the rise is valid and how much an excuse is the issue..

My usual cartridge has gone up by £15 a thousand. Been told of some gone up by £22 a thousand. Really can't see how this type of increase is justified.

A game shooter said to me "If you spend a grand on a days shooting and a grand on clothes and footwear who gives a s*** if the shells are 8 quid a box?"

Just thank everybody who voted 'Leave' a few months ago - anything traded in USD (i.e. oil) or EUR has gone up and is likely to stay that way.

I always thought it was stupid to allow the common man to vote on such a thing as how many people truly understand the consequences, I didn't vote as I am man enough to admit that I do not understand politics , neither am I particularly bothered about many things further than my gate.

we were lied to  which encouraged the leave vote ,   ie  loads of money pumped in the nhs  and controls  on immigration ,  but the people who promised this  were never in power and realistically  never would be ,  !     all politicians have their noses deep in the trough .   

we were lied to  which encouraged the leave vote ,   ie  loads of money pumped in the nhs  and controls  on immigration ,  but the people who promised this  were never in power and realistically  never would be ,  !     all politicians have their noses deep in the trough .   
We were also lied to by the 'experts' who encouraged us to remain..... apart from Sterling dropping (which it has many times before and risen again), the FTSE 100 and 250 have done pretty well. The economy isn't about to implode as many remainers before the vote stated it would (emergency budgets etc).

Anyway, makes me laugh when people spend £xxxx of pounds on a gun\s and then quibble about £10 per 1000 on some shells. It's an expensive sport, it will get more expensive....it's just a fact of life. Enjoy it or do something else.

Don't worry about the costs people. Prices have increased year on year with the same debates on this forum. People attending shooting sports has increased year on year, so who says there is no money about!

If you love your sport then you will make ends meet to feed the shooting habit and get your fix. Buy cartridges to suit your budget, not because of the name or who says 'what' about them. Or be like Richie Moreing, just use mine. Tight old git! Stew

Reading all of the above posts, maybe there is a Business opportunity here. Perhaps the time has come for Clay Clubs to get together and buy a container load of cartridges from abroad if cartridges are so cheap in the remainder of the World.  I am old enough to remember 'the explosion' at Eley many years ago. That seemed to open the flood gates to several different brands of imported cartridges to hit our shelves and at vastly reduced prices. OK,  so some left a bit to be desired in cleanliness and recoil, but I do recall they 'took no prisoners' in terms of killing ability. There was only 1 brand that left a lot to be desired, they were being loaded in France.....................using ELEY components   !

I live in France and cannot buy any British manufactured cartridges there must be a reason for that... but the recent changes in FOREX should make buy British products a good option cost wise at least. On the quality side the worst cartridge I have ever used is Lylevale HV  28g I bought 500 in the UK to shoot at a fibre only venue they are absolute dung and although I bought them more than 5 years ago I still have more than 150 left they are that bad and I hear people saying budget cartridges are bad, these things are not budget ... they are shoite though! I could take any budget Spanish or French cartridge costing £100 per thousand less and they would perform better... and I would not need to clean my gun between shots!

Westly re the container of cartridges ... you missed the boat by about six months foreign cartridges are much more expensive for you now!

While on the subject of cartridge prices there are wide differences in the cost of cartridges down here too. Today I was talking about cartridges to some of the guys at Capvern . I have just changed from shooting Clever T2  to a brand called Jocker which are made just along the road at Gaillac. I was saying how impressed I was with the Jocker carts and why I changed from the Clever ... essentially I bought them over the internet out of convenience because the carriage was free... so they worked out at €204 per thousand. Now however the shop wants to charge for del and the extra cost makes them €225 . One of the guys says hold on our club buys Clever T2's in from Spain and sells them for ... €168 per thousand ! I have to say though after using the Clevers for the past three years the Jocker competition carts cost €172 per thousand and I think they are better than the Clever's which are € 32 per thousand more and then you have to add on del ... that equates to 9 rounds of 25 UT or FO for me and if I was to have to pay the del gives me another 5 rounds .  Its a no brainer the Jockers are a better cartridge ...and cheaper so I can practice more and 46ex50 today was nice ... the missed targets were nothing to do with the cartridges though!

Don't worry about the costs people. Prices have increased year on year with the same debates on this forum. People attending shooting sports has increased year on year, so who says there is no money about!

If you love your sport then you will make ends meet to feed the shooting habit and get your fix. Buy cartridges to suit your budget, not because of the name or who says 'what' about them. Or be like Richie Moreing, just use mine. Tight old git! Stew
Hmmm for the record Stewie follows Leeds Utd, a Yorkshire club,  tis well known that being careful with ones brass is a Yorkshire trait and that includes our arrangements with those rather pleasant Pro-One cartridges! Oh and he's still not forgiven me for picking up a prize on Sunday 

Justcartridges have put gamebore and Hull prices up. 

I cant justify £180 per thou of superfasts when £190 gets you Fiocchi FBlacks for example.

No changes to costs at either of the shops close to me.  I don't see USD having a big impact to shooting and EUR will be back on track (1.20) before too long as people remember how vulnerable EU is and the French and German elections.

Although Brexit has caused currency issues, I also beleive it has corrected a prior over valuation and have long thought that 1.20 eur and 1.55 usd were closer to reality than the 1.31 and 1.71 seen recently.

i also still think that leaving the EU is the best play in the medium to longer term and we are still 3 years away from being able to truly evaluate.

Back