Cartridge prices on the way up.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that mary arm have increased the prices of their cartridges by about €20 per thousand so on the way up down here too :(   This is the first price rise I have seen but must assume that other makes will follow suit.

Anyone know why lead price is rising ? It`s obviously more than the £ value post Brexit vote as most seem to imply !

I know it is being too simplistic but the arithmetic of that price hike just does not make sense the . The price hike is 60pence per Kg so the price hike per 1000 cartridges should be £17 for 28g carts and £15 for 24g . Lets not relate any price hike to the cost of components lets just say they just put up the price by what ever cost the want and we pay because you cannot shoot with out them . Cartridge prices are just a big piss take by the manufacturers end of.

That's the notice on a local Gunshop's website and in store. I've left the arithmetic to those better versed in numerical equations!  :assassin:

Just cartridges Hull Comp X  Plastics 21 gram £169 per thousand , 28gram  £187  = £18 for  7kg  of lead ?

Just cartridges Hull Comp X  Plastics 21 gram £169 per thousand , 28gram  £187  = £18 for  7kg  of lead ?
Yes it makes no sense whatsoever , should be about £12... in fact the 28g carts should possibly be even cheaper because of economies of scale there must be at least ten 28g carts fired for every one 21g cartridge. The lead price has gone up quite a lot over the past few months BUT if you look at the five year graph lead prices now are about the same as the were three years ago BUT the pound has lost about 22% of its value vs the dollar in that time.

edit  Get your head round this one. The main Clever dealer down here charges exactly the same price for T2 24g carts as they do for 28g ??

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact if you look at the spot prices for lead the difference in price now compared to Dec is virtually nothing at all ! By the same token it is fair to say that the cost of lead has seen a significant increase sine the beginning of 2016 and then you have to take into account the fall in the value of the pound against the dollar. Any cartridge producer making a significant bet on the price of lead and buying a large quantity mid January of this year would be well ahead as the cost fell about 20% since the beginning of December 2016spot-lead-1y-Large.gif 

In fact if you look at the spot prices for lead the difference in price now compared to Dec is virtually nothing at all ! By the same token it is fair to say that the cost of lead has seen a significant increase sine the beginning of 2016 and then you have to take into account the fall in the value of the pound against the dollar. Any cartridge producer making a significant bet on the price of lead and buying a large quantity mid January of this year would be well ahead as the cost fell about 20% since the beginning of December 2016spot-lead-1y-Large.gif 

The graph actually illustrates how a shrewd, lets say lucky, gambler or cartridge manufacturer could have bought lead throughout the year and maintained their prices at a very competitive rate per thousand .

I know it is being too simplistic but the arithmetic of that price hike just does not make sense the . The price hike is 60pence per Kg so the price hike per 1000 cartridges should be £17 for 28g carts and £15 for 24g . Lets not relate any price hike to the cost of components lets just say they just put up the price by what ever cost the want and we pay because you cannot shoot with out them . Cartridge prices are just a big piss take by the manufacturers end of.
Lead is not the only component subject to the fluidity of the market. There is also exploitative practice, greed and new Audis.

Go out tomorrow, everyone and buy as many as you can, a years worth, more if you can,let the dog wag the tail for a change

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks as though the prices have already been raised. WLSS 1000 power golds  £201.00.

Admittedly I haven't looked at prices for the last few months so not sure if this increase has been gradual or not?

So my next question is where can someone by a decent cartridge for around £180.00 per 1000? 

Yes, Pegoraro Speed 28g plastic...£170/k. Price rise coming with them too!!! Shoot very like a Clever T2

£600 price rise doesn't equate to £600 to the customer, depends on the mark up applied. As a construction based company we add anything from 5 to 20% mark up to anything purchased and then sold on, that's how all business works. So if they run on 10% that £17 on the market comes out at £18.70 to the customer. They obviously just put on a mark up of 20% or more on the lead.

Ouch, another increase then!  Not heard of or seen Pegoraro down this way!

Looks as though Ill be testing out a few of the cheaper carts to see what suits...    

Correct me if I am wrong but using Hull Cartridge prices as a guide line they are charging us at a rate of £2571-50 per tonne of Lead?

Surely it isn't that dear to produce Lead shot and make a little profit?

Or are they only interested in making LARGE profits?

How did you work this out?

Just had a ring round all the shops in my area and bought all the shells the wife shoots.Every little helps.

At Mickley Hall today was offered 10k Smart Strike @ £177/1000, not what i use so not certain if this is good, but they are still there.

I've managed to clear a companies shelves of Fiocchi F3's @ £189 a thousand but they didn't have loads to begin with sadly.

Latest posts

Back