Cartridge price increases now getting silly

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to someone who did low volume craft brewing - but to the level where he was able to sell his beer to local pubs etc.  

Whenever a batch didn't come out quite the right flavour for his established brands, he's just re-label it with another brand, and sell it at a bit of a discount.

This could well be what is happening in the cartridge world too.

Nope no allowance for no birds. I got one and the first round had 14 no birds. Second round had 1.

One of my local grounds (Wedgenock in Warwick) do a pre loaded card. It's something like £320 for 1200 clays which seems ok at 27p per clay, but there's no top up allowance for no birds in that. They say the £320 is for a 1000 and they allow the extra 200 in case of no birds. Having shot there for a while, I estimate the rate of no birds to be about 4 to 5% or so.

There is not going to be a future for clay shooting that is for sure.
One of the reasons why I shoot very sporadically now .With the price of living, food , gas etcc and the meteoric rise in both cartridges and clays it is simply too expensive to shoot every week like I used to .

Bought last batch April & yesterday called into my usual gun shop to pick up more only to find that now they have gone up by £8.20 for a slab of 250 that’s £32.80 for 1000. 😩😩😩
I like Hull superfast, but there has been shortages... I just paid about 300 for 1k lyvale English sporting... which I'm not overly keen on...

whatever reasons we are told regarding prices , it eventually becomes too expensive to shoot clays , small shoots and cartridge manufacturers will eventually close , i am a working class man but finding it hard to justify the cost !! prices will never go down so best enjoy while we can what is your limit ? £££
Luckily I found a shoot that is the usual £20 for 50 clay.
But if you buy both clay and carts it's only £27
That's £3.50 a round.
So anyone who lives near
Running Hill Gate, Diggle, Oldham OL3 6LP
RUNNING HILL CALY SHOOT.
that's the place to go for a cheap morning shoot. Hope this helps anyone in the area struggling with high cartridge prices

Luckily I found a shoot that is the usual £20 for 50 clay.
But if you buy both clay and carts it's only £27
That's £3.50 a round.
So anyone who lives near
Running Hill Gate, Diggle, Oldham OL3 6LP
RUNNING HILL CALY SHOOT.
that's the place to go for a cheap morning shoot. Hope this helps anyone in the area struggling with high cartridge prices
£20 fo 50 clays , I make that 40p per clay which is very expensive.
Now let me get this right It becomes £27 if you buy their cartridges

SO! 50 of bottom brand cartridges would be around £12.50 but let's call it £13.50 as that includes quite a good selection of what is on the market. That works out at 27p per clay , that's nothing special really I would have thought

Spennymoor in Durham, member pays £10 for 50 clays, a visitor is £12

even reloading is becoming impracticable due to massive price increase of powder primers and wads if it was not for the fact i make my own shot i could not afford to shoot clays it is only going to get a lot worse price wise

Yeah, a 150 mile round trip is £36 in diesel for me at 35mpg. Makes you think a bit.
Somewhat off topic but if mod wants to remove ok by me...I had collected a number of tyres over the years for growing spuds in. Don't do it anymore wanted to get rid of them. Council only lets you take 2 at a time. I had 23. Distance to dump and back 37 miles. You do the maths.
Luckily I found the villiage nursery school would take em for activities and stuff.
So much for living responsibility etc, etc!

Are my maths wrong because i calculate a single cartridge will cost 24.2p or 48.4p per pair. If so its the 83.6p per pair of clays thats killing your sport.

I know cartridge prices are spiralling and that is a problem for many. However i believe some clay grounds are being extremely greedy and making massive margins on something costing a few pence. When i see some prices these grounds are charging , i am amazed at the amount of people who still use them.
I have my shooting spread over a number of disciplines, inflated club memberships and insurance is becoming onerous let alone the cost of ammo. Eg local clay membership has the sting of a £72 joining fee on top of your annual sub! Clay prices are a piss take, sorry if that offends, but when I helped run a small licensed shoot we would have a pick ups day maybe twice a season. Wonder how many make it twice round at the more established grounds??

Quite a few I would think, especially if it's me shooting at them the first time around

I have my shooting spread over a number of disciplines, inflated club memberships and insurance is becoming onerous let alone the cost of ammo. Eg local clay membership has the sting of a £72 joining fee on top of your annual sub! Clay prices are a piss take, sorry if that offends, but when I helped run a small licensed shoot we would have a pick ups day maybe twice a season. Wonder how many make it twice round at the more established grounds??
As secretary of a clay club; pick ups need collecting the same day as otherwise rain and sun will weaken or distort the clay and even then it increases the risk and hence frequency of no birds which can accelerate the wear or damage the rubber strip on the trap throwing arm which are not cheap to replace. So pick ups do not really offer a financial saving and nobody likes frequent no birds.

£20 fo 50 clays , I make that 40p per clay which is very expensive.
Now let me get this right It becomes £27 if you buy their cartridges

SO! 50 of bottom brand cartridges would be around £12.50 but let's call it £13.50 as that includes quite a good selection of what is on the market. That works out at 27p per clay , that's nothing special really I would have thought
Sorry for members it's £22 and £13 for just clays.

even reloading is becoming impracticable due to massive price increase of powder primers and wads if it was not for the fact i make my own shot i could not afford to shoot clays it is only going to get a lot worse price wise

I am old enough to remember the explosion that occurred at the Eley factory and the extreme shortage of cartridges after that. A lot of people, myself included, turned to home loading. Once the main supplier of the components, which just happened to be Eley realised, the prices of the components rose sharply ' to plug that hole'.

I've been forced to reduce my shooting to once every 2 or 3 weeks. The price per clay is 28p and then £10 for a box of cartridges is simply too expensive in these times. I tend to use the walk around the ground as a form of exercise with the odd shot thrown in.

we are only a small not for profit CPSA affiliated club and charge £13.00 for 50 sporting clays members, juniors only £9.00 for 50 or £4.50 for 25 clays.
However we are limited in scope to the variety of clays we can put on and expect all able bodied members to help clear away once shooting finishes.
I would expect you can find similar clubs and value across the country. Just depends on what you are looking for a friendly non competitive shoot to enjoy Sunday clay bashing or the larger commercial grounds offering register shoots.
We also have an air rifle range which is proving popular with ever increasing membership.

I am old enough to remember the explosion that occurred at the Eley factory and the extreme shortage of cartridges after that. A lot of people, myself included, turned to home loading. Once the main supplier of the components, which just happened to be Eley realised, the prices of the components rose sharply ' to plug that hole'.
Hi Westley I also remember that and ammo was almost non existent in my neck of the woods our club bought some eley imported from Canada they kicked like mule then Jimmy Ling got supplies of some Gytorp and some others which were paper cased great shells and comfortable to shoot .

Back