Express Recipe Change?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer to just buy 'em and shoot em'  as long as they are breaking targets and are reasonably clean, without knocking the manure out of me, what is inside them matters NOT to me  !
So would I......but I'm an engineer......and I fiddle.....and it sends me up the bloody wall......but I'm an engineer all the bloody same!  :wacko:

So then........My friend, and 90+% AAA shot who is sponsored by Express, dropped me a box of Power Gold 7.5's (UK 7's).  Canny lad he is. Free bullets always make me smile.  ;)  Anyhow, I shot Grange farm with a bad head (its never been good really), and I was more than pleasantly surprised.  These were soft and fairly belted the clays.  Long (35yd) rabbits were despatched with aplomb.  REALLY Broken I mean.  But more than that these shells definitely hit hard and felt soft in the shoulder.  Not like that last slab of 8's I had.  He also gave me a few Super Comps to shoot on a stand (Like I say....REALLY canny lad), and popping them in alongside a Power Gold, I could not tell the difference between the 2.  Both very smooth to shoot.

Has Express faffed around with their shells?  Have they resorted to the 'Golden' recipe of before?  Or are they inconsistent?  I like them.  I really do.  It would take quite a bit to move me away from my beloved Fiocchi.  But....these could do it.

Incidentally, I had a spare errant box of the Power Gold 8's in the garage (frowned upon for a few months now), and I have given them to my pal.  He will assess them far better than me.  He'll also waste a lot less lead than I would do with them.  I'll report his findings when he comes back to me.

So then, AAA shot assessed the 8 shot side by side with 7.5 shot.  Hit everything with everything.  No change there.  He gave me a box of Super comps and Power Golds both in 7.5's from his stock of shells.  I have to say that I really do like them.  I really do.  Both shoot the same to me (But I know nowt).  Smooth and hard hitting.  Easy to shoot all of the time.  I shot Garlands with 2 x 3/4 chokes and I have to say, I can't say I found them wanting.  Maybe the slab I had was 'a bit awwf'.

But i have to say....that if I wanted 1 shell for everything.......the power gold 7.5 or Super comp could be it.  I'd use the Golds as they are cheaper and hit and feel the same.  But I was never found wanting thats for sure.

Bit of a turnaround from a dedicated Fiocchi shooter to be fair.....

So then, AAA shot assessed the 8 shot side by side with 7.5 shot.  Hit everything with everything.  No change there.  He gave me a box of Super comps and Power Golds both in 7.5's from his stock of shells.  I have to say that I really do like them.  I really do.  Both shoot the same to me (But I know nowt).  Smooth and hard hitting.  Easy to shoot all of the time.  I shot Garlands with 2 x 3/4 chokes and I have to say, I can't say I found them wanting.  Maybe the slab I had was 'a bit awwf'.

But i have to say....that if I wanted 1 shell for everything.......the power gold 7.5 or Super comp could be it.  I'd use the Golds as they are cheaper and hit and feel the same.  But I was never found wanting thats for sure.

Bit of a turnaround from a dedicated Fiocchi shooter to be fair.....
I went the other way up nearly 50gbp a 1000 just too much to pay was paying 180 last year!

Express are generally UK shot sizes with the only exception being the Power Gold 7.5(2.4), 8(2.3). Gamebore do the same with their Diamond shot range. I believe only Eley and Hull stick to the UK sizes across their range.
Hull are continental shot size on the better stuff like Parcors/Sov's and Eley are continental shot size with VIP's ect

Well......when you cut them open (I do that sort of stuff 'coz I'm an Engineer), all the bits inside are the same across the range.  Same wads and powders.  Just fancier boxes..... :lol:

Back