Cartridge choice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your feedback , I think I'll stick to the 8's at everything like before . The gun fits well , the rest is down to me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone for your feedback , I think I'll stick to the 8's at everything like before . The gun fits well , the rest is down to me ! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
You can always take a few 7's or 6.5's for when the knees are knocking. Maybe it makes no difference but if it removes doubt then it is worth doing

Thanks everyone for your feedback , I think I'll stick to the 8's at everything like before . The gun fits well , the rest is down to me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Twice today I obliterated that "full use" looper on the RBSS tower with 1/4 choke and 8's. It's enough..

Alright thanks guys - helped a lot - I tried 8's out to 35m and they worked fine - haven't nerve for longer birds and was shooting 7's on those. I am using fix-choked gun and patterns at close range with fast 8's turns 3/4 choke into 3/8 while keeping the pattern with full out to 45m, so having just one cartridge for anything makes wonders on my engineer mind that usualy goes berserk when chokes, shot sizes, distances and angles ar thrown into equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright thanks guys - helped a lot - I tried 8's out to 35m and they worked fine - haven't nerve for longer birds and was shooting 7's on those. I am using fix-choked gun and patterns at close range with fast 8's turns 3/4 choke into 3/8 while keeping the pattern with full out to 45m, so having just one cartridge for anything makes wonders on my engineer mind that usualy goes berserk when chokes, shot sizes, distances and angles ar thrown into equation.
I took me a while to clear the engineers mind for shooting. It's good for gun maintenance but not so good for the actual shooting bit. All the engineering / scientific analysis is true and valid of course, it's just that one cannot concentrate on bashing that frisbee if the mind is elsewhere. And pointing the barrels in the right place is 98% of this game.

What you will find is, your gun will have a natural liking for 8's or 7.5's, mine particularly likes 7.5's, if I get to a shoot (usually fitasc) and there is a very big edge on target then it usually gets a 6.5, purely for the killing inertia, only takes a few 6.5 pellets to break the clay, but generally speaking its 7.5's all the time.  

Pattern a 6.5 cartridge at 60 yards. You will wonder how the heck an edge on clay would ever get hit. 5 pellets from a 6.5 will murder it, but it looks like 50/50 whether that would happen when you see the gaps between the pellets. :hmm: Thats the irony. At big distance, with edge on clays you want the pellet count you get with 9's, but energy is insufficient. Close targets where people use 9's, you don't need many pellets! I think this is why 8's are such a good compromise. :nyam:

Last edited by a moderator:
:fie:  I hope that your 6.5's are correct because many continental 6.5's are 6's! which of course in fitasc are ilegal. :crazy:  

Think I seen somewhere Richard faulds uses 6.5 on everything, I use mostly 7.5s and when I miss its never the shot size, 7.5 or 8s not much between them one won't give you any more kills than the other

If it were a choice of getting a single strike on a clay with small shot at any nonpisstakedistance and a miss purely down to sparseness of pattern, I'd take the former every time. Also interested in knowing how a round toob can prefer one size over the other, I would pay to watch a blind test.

Well Matt, ignorance is no excuse in Fitasc!    Fitasc goes by measurement of shot and not whats printed on the box or the cartridge!

Enlish cartridges (loaded in UK) are invairably 6.5's   Italian are not! :fie:

Well said Squirrel, when competing you do so on the understanding that a referee may ask for you to remove a cartridge from your gun for dissection and checking of shot size and load . It is possible to easily load 32 grams of shot into a cartridge case clearly marked 28 gram.

An English premier supplier once inadvertantly fell fowl of mistakenly overloading a particular brand.

I have never seen a cartridge examined at ANY FITASC shoot in nearly 20 years, and I always ensure my shells are regulation friendly...

:fie:  Well I have and I was'e'nt  at all worried because I always play by the rules!  leaving no room for doubt! :hunter:  

Back