cabinet re-location

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

do I need to inform fao f I want to re-locate my cabinet, do they need to assess the new position first. What are the stipulations of were and we're they cannot be located ?

Ah....OK I thought this was going to be a political thing, you know....cabinet re locating to Oldham or something! 

Anyway, possibly best to speak to the local firearms guy just in case mate!

when the  guy came to check my gun security i asked him if i was to move it to different position or upgrade from gun clamp to a cabinet would he need to recheck it and he said as long as it was bolted to brick/block wall he would be happy if i just emailed him a photo of the new position.

Depends how helpful your local firearm department are.

I emailed mine to tell them I'd installed a new cabinet in a new property as they'd requested to inspect it. After three weeks they've still not been in touch to arrange a visit *shrugs*

I found Lancs were no problem over such a minor issue and I would be suprised if they wanted to check it. I had to tell them about moving my cabinet, but that was into the next County !  I hope you have 'tested' that new gun by now too.

thanks sirmissalot and traptec helpful info.

westley

yes lancs have allways been very good, I will ring to inform them out of courtesy.

ps

not got new gun yet still debating

Devon and cornwall were good as gold when i moved mine. Dropped them an email to let them know i had done it and my guns were in there and they sent someone round about a month later... .

She came in, looked at it, and left. 

Didnt even want to see inside!

It's worth advising them out of courtesy as you say,  Essex wanted to inspect my new cabinet but are thin in the ground in terms of resource so sent two armed response guys round...

just emailed them giving full info on location and access etc.

question

in the event of certificate holder passing away and given that the Mrs does not know were the keys are what happens?

can a friend and also a cert holder have a spare on your behalf so as to access and sell your guns?

or does fao have to deal with accessing and disposing of said guns?

Home Office Guidance to the Police says as follows:-

Possession only of any type of firearm or ammunition without a certificate Permits authorising possession 6.17 Section 7 of the 1968 Act enables a chief officer of police to issue to a person a permit authorising them to possess a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or a shotgun, in any special case where it may not be necessary or desirable to issue a certificate. For example, a permit should in normal circumstances be issued to authorise the temporary possession by a relative or the executor of a deceased person, or the receiver of a bankrupt’s estate, of firearms or ammunition forming part of the property of the deceased person or bankrupt. A permit may not be issued to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition (but see section 5(1) of the 1988 Act and chapter 15). If it does not specify possession only, it will be assumed by default that the permit allows use. A permit should be issued if a certificate holder’s firearm certificate or shotgun certificate has expired and they have made reasonable efforts to renew in good time.

So you could give your Executors a sealed envelope to be opened only in the event of your death giving the location of the key.  If your wife is an executor then perhaps ask your solicitor to keep such a letter.  The Executors can be given a permit to deal with a sale at a sensible price - NOT your FAO!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks sirmissalot and traptec helpful info.

westley

yes lancs have allways been very good, I will ring to inform them out of courtesy.

ps

not got new gun yet still debating
Well the offer to lend you a Henry Monk boxlock ejector still stands, if you wish to debate further. 2 1/2" chambers,  though I do have some 28 gram Fiochi things you could chuck through it.

very kind of you Westley however looks like sat is off, eze came into season today, flamin bad timing.

Latest posts

Back