Cabinet Fitting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aron1231

Hi new to the sport completely, and trying to find the ideal place to fit the cabinet.

Misses has ruled out the bedroom apparently its unsightly and it cant go in the kids room.

I have a cupboard downstairs, do you recon it would be okay to put it in the cupboard? It will be bolted to a brick wall and chave put a lil lock on the cupboard so no 'casual visitors' can get to it easily (lock was to actually stop the kid getting in there and pulling everything down onto themselves).

Only reason im jubious is is right by the front door? Would this cause an issue?

Cheers guys!

Sounds ok to me.  It will be out of sight and bolted to a brick wall so it shouldn't be a problem. 

Best thing to do would be give your FEO a call explaining your plan. Alternatively you could hold off fitting the cabinet and have them advise on where to fit it on your visit. Just means your licence will have to be hand delivered and your cabinet checked instead of posted.

They don't much like a cabinet to be visible through a ground floor window but it didn't stop them signing off in my last house or even this one for a few years. The officer only got snotty when I moved it to better location out of sight of everyone but didn't inform them that I'd done it. I then replaced the cab for a bigger one - also without telling them - but the firearms team have replaced the FEO as well and the new one didn't seem to care.

Obviously it has to be bolted up to a solid wall wherever possible but I get the impression that your demeanour, who also lives in the house and the overall security of the property counts for at least as much as the exact positioning of the cab.

Just make sure it’s securely bolted to the wall, when my FEO inspected the installation he opened the door and literally swung on it, and he was a big fella. Needless to say I welcomed it, also laughed as the rawl bolts were 17mm and 6 of them. Ain’t going nowhere! 
regarding waiting until the FEO to turn up for a visit, personally I wouldn’t delay anything, by all means give them a call, but have it installed secure for when they arrive, it’s takes long enough to get your license as it is, needlessly wasting his and your time having to visit again etc . Good luck with everything just apply bucket loads of common sense and you’ll be fine 

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing to do would be give your FEO a call explaining your plan. Alternatively you could hold off fitting the cabinet and have them advise on where to fit it on your visit. Just means your licence will have to be hand delivered and your cabinet checked instead of posted.
Think it depends on the FEO and the area. I had one for Hampshire, he came round, safe wasn't fitted at that point so we went round the house and discussed where was best for safety and for my personal aesthetics. After he left, I just emailed him a couple of pics and licence was recieved in the post in the next week. One thing that might apply to you is that I wanted to have it sit literally on top of the skirting board as it was a straight box shape type so could happily do it, but he insisted that I cut the board out and have it flush to the floor so that it couldn't be levered. Made sense so that's what I did and he was happy with it all.

If your brick fixing surface is really an internal 'block' wall be wary of using expanding rawl bolts as they can split the cr*ppy block - leaving you with a big problem.   I used Excalibur screw bolts: http://excaliburscrewbolts.com/

Think it depends on the FEO and the area. I had one for Hampshire, he came round, safe wasn't fitted at that point so we went round the house and discussed where was best for safety and for my personal aesthetics. After he left, I just emailed him a couple of pics and licence was recieved in the post in the next week. One thing that might apply to you is that I wanted to have it sit literally on top of the skirting board as it was a straight box shape type so could happily do it, but he insisted that I cut the board out and have it flush to the floor so that it couldn't be levered. Made sense so that's what I did and he was happy with it all.
Funny how forces vary, humberside were fine with having mine above the skirting board. Similarly West Yorkshire were also fine with my mother’s cabinet above the skirting board.

If your brick fixing surface is really an internal 'block' wall be wary of using expanding rawl bolts as they can split the cr*ppy block - leaving you with a big problem.   I used Excalibur screw bolts: http://excaliburscrewbolts.com/
Modern chemical (polyester/epoxy resin) anchor bolts are easy to fit and help strengthen more fragile masonry.

My SGC was granted without a cabinet having been fitted at all as I didn't own a gun at the time. After installing a cabinet and purchasing a gun a few weeks later, I informed the police using the correct channels; there was no follow-up visit to inspect the cabinet. A couple of months later, I purchased another gun for my wife to use and again informed the police; again, no visit to inspect the cabinet.

When my wife applied for her own SGC the FEO obviously inspected the cabinet as part of his visit and all was fine.

The law is fairly fluffy, so as long as it is reasonable to see that suitable security measures have been taken, you should be fine.

Thanks for the info so it will be inside a cupboard, no windows and visitors have no need to go in there (cleaning products, ironing board, etc.), i have fitted the cabinet but if he isnt happy with the position then i can discuss with them. I have cut the skirting out and its bolted to the wall, i believe its concrete block and not aerated as they bolted up solid, im not a small guy and i have tried to shift it with no success.

So i actually already have my certificate, i was told by the FAO that once i have my certificate and have fitted the cabinet, when i get my first gun to provide the into to them as you should and then he will pop round and just check the cabinet. I guess i came across very trustworthy in my interview. 

I am in essex and have to say after being told a few horror stories about waiting 6-12 months for a certificate, i had my interview within 5 weeks and then the certificate was delivered a week later. Couldnt be happier!

Planning on getting my gun at the weekend and then out for a shoot on sunday and monday (have a few days off work).

Mine’s above the 9” skirting, in a cupboard, near the front door. Chap who checked it just looked at it & asked me how many guns it held, didn’t even open it. Loved his tea & biccies tho. Suffolk. 

I look forward to the day that ALL British Police Forces get their act together and adhere to the current Firearms Act and NOT make up the rules as they go along. The ONLY thing that they ALL seem to agree on is the bloomin Doctors letter  !  I can see that one being used as their 'get out of Jail free' card at some time in the future too.

Apparently if the doctor doesn't get back to them they still process the application anyway

Apparently if the doctor doesn't get back to them they still process the application anyway
I think you will find that it depends on which Police Force you are dealing with. Some have already adopted a 'No Letter, No Certificate' policy. Some even apply common sense too.

Latest posts

Back