Gun cabinet - newbie questions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

So SGC application in (and resubmitted after I forgot to include the photos - doh!).  Now awaiting the next step, which I assume will be a visit by the firearms officer.

in terms of buying and installing a cabinet ... should I ...

• buy and install a cabinet before he arrives,
  • buy a cabinet, but don't install - wait for him to approve the suggested location, and request they come out again 
  • don't buy or install anything until after the visit ?
Doesn't seem a good use of time to have the officer come out *twice* - once to approve the location , and again to approve the installation.  I know it doesnt cost me any more - but I'd like to not waste the officers' time.

I've read a little bit on the topic - and understand I can't , or rather shouldn't locate the cabinet in a garage - even though my garage is attached to the house with an entrance into the kitchen - as this would require something more than a normal garage door securing the garage ?  

So I was planning on installing in a floor to ceiling kitchen cupboard, by the back door, where our boiler used to be (currently used for a deep fat fryer which will have to go .. - see .. shooting can be healthy!), against a brick (external) wall.  

Is the location (too close to an external door) likely to be an issue ?  Or doesn't it matter ?

I fitted my cabinet before my FEO interview. Otherwise he only has to come out again to approve it.

I fitted it to an interior wall in the spare room (i.e not in the main hallway, or living room). I don't think it's a major problem though with where you are thinking. If it's out of plain sight (inside a kitchen cupboard) and it's fixed to a solid wall, I think you'll be ok.  

Apart from that, get the kettle on and some biscuits out.... Good luck! ;-)

They normally want it bolted to a solid, preferably load bearing wall, out of sight. Get it fitted before the visit, they may not be happy if they need to come out again! I once had one fitted inside a built in wardrobe, but I had to cut a hole in the wooden wardrobe back panel, so that it would fit directly onto the wall.

as les and Simon say fitted to exterior wall (with bolts not rawl plugs) out of sight is ideal. Do it now no need to ask inspector chap its fine.

Thanks guys - looking for a suitable cabinet now.  

In respect of ammo - TVP's website says

"As a matter of best practice, ammunition for section 1 firearms should be kept secure and separate from the firearm. Although secure storage of shotgun cartridges is not a requirement of the Firearms Acts, it is recommended that they should be locked away separately for security"

I see some cabinets have a internal safe within the safe(but requiring another key to access) .. is this always acceptable ?  Or should I acquire a gun cabinet *and* a separate ammo cabinet ?

I realize that something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Security-3-Gun-Cabinet-Lockbox-Inner-Ammo-for-Shotguns-Rifle-Gun-Safe-/301706241348?hash=item463f17e544:g:jgsAAOSw~gRV3r5n has limited ammo storage - and no doubt I will find it limiting to store more than a 4 or 5 boxes of 25

I think I've answered my own question here, haven't I?  Separate gun cabinet, and separate ammo cabinet ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have between 2000 and 12000 cartridges at home. They wont fit in the cabinet.. The Firearms officer did ask me if I was planning to start a war, but was not otherwise worried.

Wouldn't bother about getting a cabinet for cartridges. 

I keep mine in a cupboard in a separate room from my gun cabinet. That's it! It's not required by law to have them "locked away in a cabinet" it certainly won't stop you getting your licence. My FEO was only interested in if I had a cabinet for my gun, and if it was installed correctly. 

Plus the fact, at the point of you interview, you won't have any cartridges anyway. 

To be fair I took my truck for a service the other day, and the blokes questioned me on which country I was invading once I collected my vehicle due to cartridge quantity!

Section 1 Firearms are rifles. No need to keep shotgun shells locked away, just keep them stored separately. 

Per the location - most Police forces advise that a cabinet is secured to a solid part of the structure, not in a garage and in a place that would not be noticed by a casual visitor. The problem is, this is all open to the interpretation of your local feo. Bottom line however is the safe storage of a shotgun is the responsibility of the certificate holder and not the feo. 

i bought my cabinet before the application went in. Installed it inside a cupboard on an inside wall, recessed into the internal plasterboard and bolted to the main timber frame of the building. Tucked into back corner of cupboard so that getting to it with a crowbar or jemmie is very difficult if you are right handed and only a little less so if you are left handed.

FAO took one look at it and was happy.

Asked me the question about the keys, I just told him they were stored separately and generally not left in the house if I wasn't there. ( and no they are not on the car key ring! )

A few notes. 

A 3 gun safe is only good enough for 2 with protective slips on.

If you get into buying modern length guns then check that the cabinet you buy will fit a 33" or 34" long gun with chokes in. Mine I have to remove the chokes on my 32" ( I do out of habit now anyway, saves them freezing in place! )

A 3 gun safe is only good enough for 2 with protective slips on.

If you get into buying modern length guns then check that the cabinet you buy will fit a 33" or 34" long gun with chokes in. Mine I have to remove the chokes on my 32" ( I do out of habit now anyway, saves them freezing in place! )
I do hope that you mean the 'gun sock' variety and NOT 'slips' as in gun carrying slips, a friend is having to have 3 sets of barrels cleaned and reblued due to barrels 'sweating' by being stored in gunslips. In fact 1 set could be ruined due to excessive outside pitting. You can get more guns in a cabinet if they are stored 'muzzle to butt'.

My "3 gun cabinet" will hold 4 shotguns pretty easily. Although you have to be careful they don't knock each other and dent the stocks. 

They don't live in socks or slips in there for the sweating thing as described above. I do however put a silica gel bag in the bottom to soak up any moisture. 

My "3 gun cabinet" will hold 4 shotguns pretty easily. Although you have to be careful they don't knock each other and dent the stocks. 

They don't live in socks or slips in there for the sweating thing as described above. I do however put a silva gel bag in the bottom to soak up any moisture. 

Yup a sock rather than a full slip and there is a kilo sack of silica gel in my cupboard. No sweating at all.

I have 7 guns in the cabinet and store them all in 'socks' off 'that' site, the last ones were 2 for £10 posted. They are a good copy of the green Remington silicone socks, and they certainly protect the guns against the cabinet knocks and scrapes. I can also take guns out,  to get at others in the cabinet without leaving sweaty finger marks all over them. 

Latest posts

Back