Buying 1990 Perazzi MX8

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Perazzi feels good shoots well go for it. There's something about a Perazzi that is hard to explain, must be in the Italian styling. I had a MX 3 for years very pointable, and only 27 3/4" barrels! The crispest triggers, and a unusually flat comb.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Dacia/Rolls Royce comparison is a little askew, if you ask me. You have to leave a lot more room at the bottom for the Yildiz and Armsan offerings etc., you have to allow that the very cheapest Beretta is a very different thing from a DT11, and you have to think hard about the Rolls Royce comparison - after all we're talking about performance rather than luxury. Maybe the Rolls Royce thing works for a , say Purdey SxS game gun, but surely not an MX8

I flirted with the idea of a Dacia Duster 4x4 a few months ago, it represented massive value for money. But it wasn't something that I wanted to own.

I have flirted with the idea of an MX8, too, or one of its brothers. In the end I decided it wasn't what I wanted.

Oh, yes, the grease thing. My father taught me that oil, not grease, was the answer. My shooting instructor did, too. So did my boss when I started as an apprentice gunsmith all those years ago, and I accepted that advice because as a young man you took advice from your elders in those days. When I bought my Blaser F3 I actually read the owners' manual, and it told me to use the pot of grease they had supplied. So that's what i do, 'coz their opinion has to count for something.
Apprentice Gunsmith....you dark horse you ;)

I won't go into details on the forum. But I will mention ribs and plating, neither of which is hearsay.

It's not that I have anything against Perazzi and I'm not suggesting they're troublesome, I just happen to largely agree with the comment that they're £3.5K guns costing £8.5K+. But then, like Hamster, I have little to do with the world of trap and it could well be that Perazzis are still dominant in that domain, however it seems clear to me that in percentage terms they're losing ground all the time in registered sporting.
Well i am glad that my Perazzi cost 3.5k then,so what are the other issues?

Seen as Perazzis are all effectively a custom gun how do you compare it with a mass produced one?

Talking of quality the new Berettas are cack at least 50% of the people that i know have had problems with them,mine went back twice!

I have loads of guns and shoot most of them pretty well the cheapest an Mk38 trap...but it just doesn't feel the same.

So if I've understood correctly the consensus is that he should either definitely buy the Perazzi or definitely not buy the Perazzi, and either way he should either use grease or never use grease (but oil). 

Sound about right ?

Do Beretta actually make all their own guns? I spoke with someone at Lonato who suggested to me that only the really expensive Berettas were made in Beretta's factories the rest were farmed out to other companies under the Beretta name.

edit

I will put a bit more meat on the bones. He was a Zoli dealer who had taken a client around the Zoli factory to show how the guns are produced... at which point he said there would be little point in the person he took to Zoli going to Beretta because guns such as the DT11 and 690 range of guns are not made there

Seen as Perazzis are all effectively a custom gun how do you compare it with a mass produced one?
There are 83 new Perazzis for sale on GT and 142 used, quite obviously not one of them is a custom gun.

I fully understand that certain products in any walk of life can have a particular mystique which generates something close to obsession and often causes people to pay over the odds to have one. My only point about Perazzis is that when you look closely it's hard to see where all the money went.

Some really interesting thots being put up here.  I certainly don't get too excited by the opinions of others and pretty much let my own experiences guide me.  Since the early 90's the only Perazzi experience I regret is selling one in particular.

I'm sure that's just me and YMMV substantially.  But I really don't care.   :poke:

There are 83 new Perazzis for sale on GT and 142 used, quite obviously not one of them is a custom gun.

I fully understand that certain products in any walk of life can have a particular mystique which generates something close to obsession and often causes people to pay over the odds to have one. My only point about Perazzis is that when you look closely it's hard to see where all the money went.
So you can choose Length,Bore size,Rib width,Rib height,Choking Fixed 0-10 or Multichoke,Spring type,Removable trigger or not,Stock dimensions as requested or go to the factory and have one custom made,type of forend and probably a few others including colouring.Trip to the factory seeming to be quite popular.

And "quite obviously not one of them is a custom gun" thats quite a statement

Presumably he means that if you buy one of the guns from GT it won't be custom to the buyer.  

Custom essentially means the dimensions are either wholly or nearly all selected by someone at their factory, I have shouldered at least a dozen of theses and shot most too, they all felt great, kinda like when you shoulder anything from the top brands. Custom doesn't mean they are completely weird or unshootable by others; but for the cast the best one I ever picked up was a left hander a mate bought last year, he unfortunately eventually sold it as he shoots semi automatics and Miroku's better for some reason. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you sound fairly new to the sport. Whilst the MX8 is a fine gun it's not perfect. Blasers don't thump any more than any other gun of the same type because there's all sorts of factors that determine felt recoil. 

Whatever brand you choose, if you've found a gun you like put plenty of shells through it first to make absolutely sure it suits. Ideally have your coach or someone that knows what they're looking at watch you shoot it. Remember too that, unless you're very lucky, you'll have to factor in the cost of a custom stock.

Whatever you do, be objective. Don't get hung up on a particular brand. A £500 Lanber that fits and shoots where you're looking is better than a £5000 Perazzi that doesn't.
Love the Lanber reference, very true.

Love the Lanber reference, very true.
Are you paid a lot of money by Lamber? 

While it's true that using a gun that fits will enable you to hit more.  

A perazzi or Beretta DT11 or the like will still be being "run in"  and will unless abused it will last a lifetime. Whereas a comp shooter would prob be placing a gun of the underbolted stub pin design in a skip or it will need serious refurb after 2 years.  As for fit. The higher grade guns can be made to fit any shap or size at initial purchase or adapted in a cost effective manner (cost of work relative to gun value &  length of ownership) due to the ready avilability of interchangeable stocks.

Thats not to A lamber aren't good value, they are.  But they either fit  or don't and if they fit and you don"t shoot large amounts then they are fine.

JMO

This is most definately a case of opinions and arseholes. 
DT11 must be one of the most altered and re-developed guns ever made. The very first ones had unpopular stock designs and are so much heavier and less well balanced than the latest models, albeit the new ones are expensive and have to have things like carbon ribs to make up for the initial barrel weight. So I wonder if to get the best one you’re buying the early gun, with the cost of fixes added on. Seems a mash up, albeit perhaps with a nice gun at the end of it.

They pay me enough money which means i only have to work three days a week which leaves me the other four days to concentrate on my shooting.

Back