Buying 1990 Perazzi MX8

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it was said it had never seen oil (from worlds best shooters list that Russel Mark complied)
I don't believe that would be a recommended practice.  Even if one is not wise enough to understand lubrication there is always an issue with corrosion that common wisdom has decided is not healthy for a gun.

JMO of course but I mean ............. WTF?

I don't believe that would be a recommended practice.  Even if one is not wise enough to understand lubrication there is always an issue with corrosion that common wisdom has decided is not healthy for a gun.

JMO of course but I mean ............. WTF?
Under normal circumstances I would totally agree ... but he would have had that gun serviced by the Perazzi tech's at ever other event... why get you own hands dirty ? I have to say if it were me I would be exactly the same let the peasants prep the gun! 

That doesn't sound quite the same as never having seen oil.  Just cuz the owner/user never saw oil doesn't mean the gun didn't if the techs were taking care of it.

I've no objection to the proper people attending to the gun if they in fact do know what they're doing.  Or would do exactly what I told them to do.  Yes, I'm quitter aware of the appropriate terms usually applied to people like me hahaha

That doesn't sound quite the same as never having seen oil.  Just cuz the owner/user never saw oil doesn't mean the gun didn't if the techs were taking care of it.

I've no objection to the proper people attending to the gun if they in fact do know what they're doing
Absolutely Charlie I always give my gun some form of lubrication ... although not using Perazzi products... must get some of the special white grease they sell for the action. I am presently using some high melting point grease that is supposed to be used for car brakes :eek:  but I also use a light gun oil from the key every time I use the gun. What I really would like is an ultra sonic cleaning bath so I could just fill it with solvent then clean the whole action from time to time. I actually could easily have had one of those when the laboratories I worked in folded... but I let some bastard know I used it for cleaning carb parts for my motorcycle and he being a biker took the thing behind my back... git ... just goes to show never give anybody any of your cleaning tips they will rob you blind.

Personally I never use grease of any kind on any part of the gun.  Grease is simply not necessary.  I use teflon loaded oils like Triflow and and over the years my guns have sustained no noticeable wear. 

Tri-Flow TF20006 Superior Lubricant, 12-Ounce Aerosol. ... The PTFE lubricant additives provide superior longevity in protection against moisture, rust, corrosion and metal-on-metal wear.

I hate the muck grease creates. I use oil where I can, just some grease on the locking tang, as oil doesn't work as well for sure. But cleaned and replaced every 100 shots.

Out of interest I have tried grease and it does leave a horrid mess especially after 150+.  I have used Napier grease.

For the last couple of years I have just used oil and clean well. So far I cant see any unusual wear.  In fact it is a little stiff but when I questioned it with a gun smith he said I just needed to put another 10k shells through it  :eek:

Perazzi are one of the finest £3500 guns you can buy for £8500, having said that this one looks good value : 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/perazzi/over-under/12-gauge/mx2000-170831165530689
Nice. If it's all in order I Would rather spend that amount on that than a new gun from any other maker.  

It does bring up the notion of how you define  quality though.  

A new Blaser, Browning or Beretta at £3000 will be a quality off the shelf gun.  A Perazzi at £8k is a quailty custom gun.

In the same way a Rolls Royce is a quailty car at >£100k and a Dacia is at £10k

Both drive from A to B but the  rolls will have some design refinemets (equivalent to flat spings and drop out trigger group) and available options,   plus the customer manufacturer relationship is different. 

If you do have >£100k and don't like Rolls Royce other makers offer equivalent packages. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Perazzi are one of the finest £3500 guns you can buy for £8500, having said that this one looks good value : 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/perazzi/over-under/12-gauge/mx2000-170831165530689
Opinions and arseholes phrase comes to mind.

You learn a lot on your travels through shooting. One very valuable lesson I learned... too late ... is NEVER go out and spend your hard earned on a new €3500 Br..ing, Bl..ser, Ber..ta  etc when with a little time and patience there is a lovely well looked after secondhand MX8 waiting to be bought by some lucky person. I have made the mistake twice :oops:   buying new Beretta and Browning guns which sit unused, virtually new and unsalable at realistic price and only €250 more than either gun bought me a super MX8. I have had many shooters admire the gun and want to try it whereas the other two guns were invisible on the rack. As Charlie says its is your own money do with it as you please.

Opinions and arseholes phrase comes to mind.

You learn a lot on your travels through shooting. One very valuable lesson I learned... too late ... is NEVER go out and spend your hard earned on a new €3500 Br..ing, Bl..ser, Ber..ta  etc when with a little time and patience there is a lovely well looked after secondhand MX8 waiting to be bought by some lucky person. I have made the mistake twice :oops:   buying new Beretta and Browning guns which sit unused, virtually new and unsalable at realistic price and only €250 more than either gun bought me a super MX8. I have had many shooters admire the gun and want to try it whereas the other two guns were invisible on the rack. As Charlie says its is your own money do with it as you please.
:lol: :) :lol:

That Dacia/Rolls Royce comparison is a little askew, if you ask me. You have to leave a lot more room at the bottom for the Yildiz and Armsan offerings etc., you have to allow that the very cheapest Beretta is a very different thing from a DT11, and you have to think hard about the Rolls Royce comparison - after all we're talking about performance rather than luxury. Maybe the Rolls Royce thing works for a , say Purdey SxS game gun, but surely not an MX8

I flirted with the idea of a Dacia Duster 4x4 a few months ago, it represented massive value for money. But it wasn't something that I wanted to own.

I have flirted with the idea of an MX8, too, or one of its brothers. In the end I decided it wasn't what I wanted.

Oh, yes, the grease thing. My father taught me that oil, not grease, was the answer. My shooting instructor did, too. So did my boss when I started as an apprentice gunsmith all those years ago, and I accepted that advice because as a young man you took advice from your elders in those days. When I bought my Blaser F3 I actually read the owners' manual, and it told me to use the pot of grease they had supplied. So that's what i do, 'coz their opinion has to count for something.

One big advantage of a Perazzi is the easy change of the Stock from a trap gun to a sporting gun thus eliminating the need to buy another gun. Add on Teague chokes and the Perazzi becomes the best all-rounder out there.

In my opinion of course.

I think a lot of people get their knickers in a twist over guns and Perazzi for some reason do tend to attract pretty fanciful devotion to the point of weariness  :rolleyes:

Look, Digweed was winning everything that wasn't bolted down with a Beretta 682, no not the E version which had the handling sorted out but the original lump which felt like swinging a brick around  :baby:  then he did the same with Kemen for YEARS, then Perazzi pulled a blinder and signed him. 

Krieghoffs were nobodies until they started pushing guns into winners hands (no I am not saying they're not good guns), Ceasar Guerrini are often in the top spot because they too have signed good names. Perazzi have the Olympic and most of the rest of the disciplines wrapped up with sponsorship deals so please don't be surprised when they feature on the podium. 

There is NOTHING "special" about P guns, yes they have nice triggers (so do others) yes they have nice wood sometimes, yes they have fairly good longevity (nothing to write home about compared to Krieghoff and Beretta truth be told), blah blah blah. They also have more than their fair share of suspect failures and Friday guns, I recently watched a mate FTF on his first stand with his leaf spring P gun, off he came and promptly proceeded to change his broken spring, luckily he carried 2 pairs the first one of which he snapped in the process of inserting it in ! At £40 quid a throw you can sod that for a game of soldiers.  :lol: <_<

I have often dared to offer the challenge of a Beretta 682e or standard spec being judged by a non shooting engineer against a coil spring P gun with similar wood, I think the result will give some a few sleepless nights, on reliability and volume terms alone the Beretta is beyond a shadow of a doubt the better gun. 

ps. The DT10 & DT11 would murder the P gun in a head to head mechanical integrity comparison. 

I could be wrong but it seems to me that Brownings, Mirokus, Berettas and CGs give very few problems and even when they do, the fix is simple, quick and inexpensive (e.g. Miroku firing pins), but with Perazzis, assuming a snapped leaf spring isn't really a fault (cough!), it seems they have fairly significant problems that either need hand fitting or return trip to the factory.

As I said, I could be wrong.

As mister "T" would say I pity the fool who thinks because someone has been shooting for a while that their opinion must be the correct one or even one that may be worth considering!

Also as mister "T" would say " I pity the fool" who bought a DT11 :lol:

I could be wrong but it seems to me that Brownings, Mirokus, Berettas and CGs give very few problems and even when they do, the fix is simple, quick and inexpensive (e.g. Miroku firing pins), but with Perazzis, assuming a snapped leaf spring isn't really a fault (cough!), it seems they have fairly significant problems that either need hand fitting or return trip to the factory.

If leaf springs are a worry to you ... don't have them Perazzi will make you a gun in exactly they way you want it. I have leaf springs on my gun and have no complaints what so ever. I have broken one in practice ... I have no idea at all how many shots it had fired as I bought the gun second hand and it was at the time 25 years old. Since then, three years, I have shot at least 30K rounds and not had a problem. I do though have a regime that I go through before any competition. I change the springs for my competition set... its a comfort blanket that takes no more than 3 minutes while I check and clean my gun... but a spring is a spring and one of those could break as easily as the ones I use for practice. I do it as part of my gun prep though and any gun should be looked at before you shoot it for safety sake if nothing else.

edit

Westward can you tell me the fairly significant problem you know of that required a Perazzi sent back to the factory... not hearsay but one you actually know of.

Westward can you tell me the fairly significant problem you know of that required a Perazzi sent back to the factory... not hearsay but one you actually know of.
I won't go into details on the forum. But I will mention ribs and plating, neither of which is hearsay.

It's not that I have anything against Perazzi and I'm not suggesting they're troublesome, I just happen to largely agree with the comment that they're £3.5K guns costing £8.5K+. But then, like Hamster, I have little to do with the world of trap and it could well be that Perazzis are still dominant in that domain, however it seems clear to me that in percentage terms they're losing ground all the time in registered sporting.

I could be wrong but it seems to me  CGs give very few problems and even when they do, the fix is simple, quick and inexpensive (e.g. Miroku firing pins), but with Perazzis, assuming a snapped leaf spring isn't really a fault (cough!), it seems they have fairly significant problems that either need hand fitting or return trip to the factory.

Yep. You are. 

I have removed the makes I sort of agree with.

This whole thread is now an all opinion and hearsay p!$song contest. 

To the OP. Just by what appeals to you at a price you are comfortable with. 

I have owned most of the makes mentioned hear and non have had any more faults than the rest that would make me think twice about buying one.

I like the Trigger pulls on my Perazzi and enjoy shooting it. I don't go into a cold sweat though if I decide to take the Miroku for a round or Beretta ASE for a spin. 

Next month for whayever reason the Beretta  will be the dogs or possibly the Miroku. Maybe I will pick up a Blaser and it will be "the one" who knows.  

No doubt a CG  will be on my want list at some point. 

I just happen to largely agree with the comment that they're £3.5K guns costing £8.5K+. But then, like Hamster
Based on what exactly?

Want to see crap plating? Have a butchers at my Beretta 687 Silver pigeon III bought new and the gun has fired less than 1000 cartridges. Can you imagine that after 50k shells fired? No not a £3.5 k gun but was more than 2k and the breech face is chipped to F too!DSCN3478.JPGDSCN3479.JPGDSCN3480.JPG

Back