Browning 525

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam McNally

Hi all contemplating a brand new 525. The cheapest I have found is 1275, are there any different options that would make this gun vary in price so much

Grade 1 is the cheapest. You can go up to grade 5, but it's all the same gun, just prettier wood and engraving.

Chances are if buying new, there may still be some of the previous version about. Nothing wrong with them as they have the lighter, back bored barrels and longer forcing cones as well as the Invector+ chokes. (the even earlier version has none of these but I doubt there are any new ones of those still around)

But be aware that Browning have recently released a "2014" version. If you're going to buy new you might as well make sure it's the latest version, just ask the dealer to confim it's a 2014 version.

I think the latest version has a better pad fitted but I can't remember what the other differences are (if there are any) but no doubt someone will.

I would happily buy a cheaper version with a worse pad; because I would be slinging the Browning pad and fitting an ISIS xpad if I were you..

Personally I would look for a decent Second Hand one and shoot the gun for a while.

I bought a S/H 425 and the gun does exactly what it is supposed to, the money I saved I spent on lessons at my local club and have since slowly watched my average rise.

Not sure where you live, but try to find somewhere that will let you shoot the gun 1st, and try a few.

Chris R

I have a 2014 sporter 525 and love it, very happy and nothing to complain about either. Its a grade 1 but the wood is nicer than any of the Berretta`s grade1 that I saw.

ATB

Matt

I have to say buy a good used model and spend the difference on lesson/gunfit. Should you decide to get rid you should get back most of what you paid. Buy new and decide it is not for you and someone else gets the benefit.

I have to say buy a good used model and spend the difference on lesson/gunfit. Should you decide to get rid you should get back most of what you paid. Buy new and decide it is not for you and someone else gets the benefit.
If I could go back 12 months, I'd have bought a used instead of a new gun.

Yes Nick,  In my experience, you and a hell of a lot of others, if they cared to admit it. Only ever bought 2 new guns in over 50 years and then only because I could not get second hand.

P.S. There is ALWAYS someone who buys a new gun, keeps it for 6 months and gets rid !

Last edited by a moderator:
Check Guntrader people. There are a few of the older 525 for sale at about £900+

However, there are used newer type 525 Sporters at about £1100. If you can buy a brand new one for just £150 more............... no brainer to me.

On reflection I agree that the 2014 model may not be the best option as there are still plenty of the later versions around (the ones with the Invector Plus chokes etc) 

the wood even on grade 1s will vary, some are planks some are quite nice, i would buy used and probably an MK38.... £1000 will get loads to choose from.

unlike cars there isnt much to go wrong parts are cheap if needed.

£1200 gets you http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Browning_Shotgun_Ultra-XS_For-Sale_140322124532001 or http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Miroku_Shotgun_MK-38-Grade-1_For-Sale_140426125759001 or even less http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Miroku_Shotgun_MK-38-Grade-1_For-Sale_140419133359001

+1 on a lot of the above.

I never buy new....just like cars :)

I would have MK38 over the 525 any day ...and I have then both.....(well....lent the 525 to one of my colts until her Syren arrives).

You get a lot of gun for money with an MK38 and they last even if use abuse them :wink:

I am sorry to say I have never picked up a Beretta and kept it. None in my stable as I never found one I liked......but that is why everyone is different and the choice is yours.

One thing though.......shoot it first....what feels nice swinging around in a shop....does not mean you can shoot it.

:wink:

I got my 30" 525 new about 2 1/2 years ago for 1250 including a gun slip and some carts.. Being a leftie, there wasn't a huge amount of choice second hand.

Didn't get on with the Berattas, somehow the 525 just felt right.

I have moved on to an 32" Ultra XS Prestige, which i did get 2nd hand and saved myself a few quid.

525 is now in the capable hands of my better half, and she absolutely loves it, and i still take it out on game days.

I am just about to order an Xpad for her, and ditch the hard plastic plate.

I got my 30" 525 new about 2 1/2 years ago for 1250 including a gun slip and some carts.. Being a leftie, there wasn't a huge amount of choice second hand.

Didn't get on with the Berattas, somehow the 525 just felt right.

I have moved on to an 32" Ultra XS Prestige, which i did get 2nd hand and saved myself a few quid.

525 is now in the capable hands of my better half, and she absolutely loves it, and i still take it out on game days.

I am just about to order an Xpad for her, and ditch the hard plastic plate.
I found a cast on 525 used ( I also found a cast on 3800)

+1 on the Isis greenpad world of difference!

Latest posts

Back