Both eyes ? Not for me !

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr bluecity

I've come to realise 2 things in my very short career as a clay pigeon shooter, that number  1,  I'm rubbish at shooting under flood light, and number 2, I realised today at my local shooting ground that I am also totally useless at shooting with both eyes open !. Now I'm not actually a bad shot on my day, but all week I keep reading on the internet and on YouTube videos, that you should always have both eyes open whilst shooting at the clays, so I went out this morning to give it a go ,and couldn't hit a barn door, out of 40 clays today I could only hit 16. My usual approach is to call " pull " with both eyes open, but just that second before I shoot I close my right eye ( I'm left handed ) to hopefully destroy the clay ! Would be interested to find out what everyone else's approach is to destroying the clays !

If you have an eye dominance issue, then fair enough. You should TRY both eyes, but if cross-dominant, then work around it. Not contentious at all.

. My usual approach is to call " pull " with both eyes open, but just that second before I shoot I close my right eye ( I'm left handed ) to hopefully destroy the clay ! Would be interested to find out what everyone else's approach is to destroying the clays !
That's pretty much what I do. Im Left handed, right eye dominant. 

Its whatever works for you in the end. Sometimes have to squint my left eye - horses for courses as they say.

I think in reality probably most  or many shooters suffer with eye dominance especially the little bit more mature . So many different things can trigger it off.

A lot of people deal with it  by squinting an eye and not even realising they are doing it.

Horrible niggling thing but the more you think it will effect your shooting then it will. I do suffer from this and can never be sure when the other eye will take over so always assume it will so i try to squint or close an eye every shot and forget about it.

I've come to realise 2 things in my very short career as a clay pigeon shooter, that number  1,  I'm rubbish at shooting under flood light, and number 2, I realised today at my local shooting ground that I am also totally useless at shooting with both eyes open !. Now I'm not actually a bad shot on my day, but all week I keep reading on the internet and on YouTube videos, that you should always have both eyes open whilst shooting at the clays, so I went out this morning to give it a go ,and couldn't hit a barn door, out of 40 clays today I could only hit 16. My usual approach is to call " pull " with both eyes open, but just that second before I shoot I close my right eye ( I'm left handed ) to hopefully destroy the clay ! Would be interested to find out what everyone else's approach is to destroying the clays !
Does the term "If it ain't broken, then don't fix it" ring any bells  ??

Does the term "If it ain't broken, then don't fix it" ring any bells  ??
Totally agree with you Westley, I think I just wanted to see for myself this morning what it's like shooting with both eyes open, it didn't take long to realise that I can't do it, but I was adamant to get through all 40 clays trying it !

I do exactly the same thing mate I am also left handed 

I do that too, am right handed but left eye dominant which I've heard but not sure if it's true that  it is quite common in women? If I keep both eyes open I see two clays and don't know which to go for, so like everyone else I close my left eye.  If it's a fast target I call for the target with left eye shut but if I've plenty of time I have both eyes open and as I mount the gun close the left eye.  If it works for you closing one eye keep doing it, what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else.

I'm lucky to the right handed and right eye dominant. My husband is right handed and left eye dominant.  He can't get on with closing his left eye or putting tape on his glasses. He has developed a technique where he relies predominantly on fairly fast swing through, which doesn't seem to give time for his left eye to take over.  Works pretty well for him most of the time on most targets, but if he's having a day where his timing is off it can be pretty horrible. You're probably best sticking with tape, closing the left eye or squinting.

A very important rule in Clayshooting.

"If it ain't broken , fix something." ( To make sure it is broken )

I shoot with both eyes open for most targets but close my left eye (right handed shooter) for a couple of targets. As said above, whatever works for you.

Back