Black Gold:- Dark Storm! Any good?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmeGHeaD

Hi Y'all,

Anyone used these before? The advert is pure 80's awesomeness! I'm sold on that alone!

The boxes look nice. I collect them from the bins at the shoots I go to,  then fill them with cheap eleys when I get home. It gives me a feeling of confidence and thrift at the same time.

The boxes look nice. I collect them from the bins at the shoots I go to,  then fill them with cheap eleys when I get home. It gives me a feeling of confidence and thrift at the same time.
They're lovely looking shells too.... All black and shiny! I might get a box to see if I feel the lightening!

I have shot only two cartridges given to me to try and that was enough for me to know they were too punchy for me.

as i have said elsewhere i swear someone at gamebore is getting people ask this question.....i must have seen it in 50 different places in the last 6 months! ;)

or maybe its just the add

Last edited by a moderator:
A mate of mine who is admittedly a certified gun changer is for ever buying anything old or new cartridge wise and we often shoot a round together swapping shells and trying to gauge their differences, my experience with these was the same as Sian  :huh: . Almost everything about these are lovely except the grotesque asking price and heinous recoil. 

Don't get me wrong they mince stuff fine but are noticeably harsh compared to many other shells which also exhibit perfectly good breaks. If I'm not mistaken he actually took 750 back and swapped to something else.

Is that it really ? Marketing hype and discomfort !

What is the technical difference between Black Gold & White Gold?

Black Gold loaded with 'Continental' shot sizes and stoked up with powder, White Gold 'English' shot sizes and less punchy load...basically.

They do look the part and are obviously well made from top notch materials but they all really go bang just the once so a definite case of overkill. 

It's unfortunate but they're not alone in mistaking recoil for performance  :rolleyes: , or perhaps they know that many will fall for that. 

Black Gold loaded with 'Continental' shot sizes and stoked up with powder, White Gold 'English' shot sizes and less punchy load...basically.
All the Gamebore diamond shot range ie; blue diamond, white and black golds are continental shot sizes. So their stated 8s are (2.3mm) uk 7.5 etc. All sizes are on their website.

With all due respect having just rung Gamebore they have just verbally confirmed the shot sizes (as per their website) across their diamond shot range which included White Golds is larger than the standard UK shot size. 2.3 UK 7.5 (Marked as 8 and 2.4 UK 7 (Marked as 7.5). By all means contact them yourself and tell them you think they have it wrong! 

So! Unacceptable recoil, high prices, flash packaging + Quality?

I don't think so.

Perhaps Gamebore need to bring Arthur Phillips out of retirement and get the job done properly again?

I used to knock about with a chubby Butcher Boy from Hastings who used a relatively slow speed cartridge called a Kent Champion, what ever happened to them?

I suppose they got repackaged and had their price inflated along with exaggerated speed claims?

I notice that the cartridge testers never do a comparison test between hype and quality ! Judas.

So! Unacceptable recoil, high prices, flash packaging + Quality?

I don't think so.

Perhaps Gamebore need to bring Arthur Phillips out of retirement and get the job done properly again?

I used to knock about with a chubby Butcher Boy from Hastings who used a relatively slow speed cartridge called a Kent Champion, what ever happened to them?

I suppose they got repackaged and had their price inflated along with exaggerated speed claims?

I notice that the cartridge testers never do a comparison test between hype and quality ! Judas.
When are shooters going to get their heads around the fact that cartridges are hyped up? The manufacturers make up some fantastic commercial for them, professional shooters endorse them but you will never see a manufacturer actually claim any test data WHY?  In a properly carried out blind test I would lay money on an average shooter not being able to make more of a  £250/ thou cartridge over a £160/ thou one . None of these cartridges are given "proper" testing they are made and then passed to someone who endorses them as being " in their opinion the best available" ...  what sort of testing is that? It means the square root of nothing and these shooting personalities get them for free! Let me tell you if I got my cartridges for free I would willingly tell lies as well BUT the shooting public fall for the BS hook, line and sinker thinking they are buying something special.

They do look the part and are obviously well made from top notch materials but they all really go bang just the once so a definite case of overkill. 

It's unfortunate but they're not alone in mistaking recoil for performance  :rolleyes: , or perhaps they know that many will fall for that. 
Haywards busters. All Black including the boxes, look very similar.

The busters are a hell of a lot softer as they are simply custom branded gamebores.

Oh and at £158/1000 a hell of a lot cheaper :) :)  

'Quality' I've shot about 10000 busters and not had a single misfire yet.

As many will no, I used to shoot the Dark Storm 6.5's a lot.

I don't really feel recoil (I'm 19 stone and 6'7") so my mass soaks the recoil up well.

And I did like them, don't get me wrong! 

However It wasn't until I switched to a different cartridge (Express Supreme Comp 6.5's) which are a tad slower 1475fps but much smoother than the 1550fps of dark storm, that I realised the flinch I had been struggling with had completely vanished in 8 weeks.....

So although I wasn't feeling the recoil, it was so harsh that my brain was making me flinch costing me targets.

Since the switch my average has jumped up 5% in 6 months.

I also tend to miss infront if anything, so I don't know why I was so fixed on fast must be best??? 

Latest posts

Back