Best starter cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Fiocci Top Ones a few weeks ago, only 500 and couldn't wait to get shut of them, I find them one of the dirtiest cartridges on the market but it was only as I couldn't get to pick up the Elley Superbs that I'd ordered, with these I find very little cleaning and they smash everything I hit :)

Eley Firsts are fine.

White Gold XLRs are discontinued.

Dirty barrels don't matter. The next shot blows the crap out.

You need to be AAA Class before you'll notice the difference between most cartridges. It's in your head.

Kent Velocity aren't punchy any more. Great cartridge for the money.

'Ave a banana..... :p

I still can't really notice exept for noisy lumpy ones :) nice soft pro ones for me :)

Eley Firsts are fine.

White Gold XLRs are discontinued.

Dirty barrels don't matter. The next shot blows the crap out.

You need to be AAA Class before you'll notice the difference between most cartridges. It's in your head.

Kent Velocity aren't punchy any more. Great cartridge for the money.

'Ave a banana..... :p
shot 18000 kents, would love to work out what I saved but can't b bothered. Also like smoking if you have them in the house you go through em quicker!!!

Hi Jake, don't blame Eley, I think you will find that Comp X are an Hull cartridge!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite honestly there is such a lot of misinformation written and talked about cartridges it would make a book in itself.

So, beginners guide to cartridges.

Fact 1. There really is not one bad cartridge out there at the moment, they will all do what they are supposed to do if we point them in the right direction.

Yes some will do it better, that's what we have to find, the one that suits us.

Fact 2. Dirty cartridges, wrong description. The 'dirt' is unburnt propellant or residue left over from the burn, more noticable in cold climates, but not really an issue non-corrosive not harmful to the barrels, if your happy with the cartridge performance don't worry about 'dirt' it's gone with the next passing of a wad to be replaced by new 'dirt' clean when you get home. Never had a complaint about black powder dirtying barrels and that is filthy stuff and corrosive.

Finally, Fact 3, find a cartridge that suits your pocket and that suits your shooting style/ performance criteria and stick with it . If you are happy with it's performance and it suits you and gives you confidence and breaks clays stick with it, it becomes a Constant. If you then go through a bad patch you know it isn't the cartridge.

Example, I love Clever and RC cartridges, have total faith in both brands, but I do struggle to get them locally to me.

Express & Eley readily available and all of them exceed my shooting ability, yes you will find one that you don't like, so move on.

When you are out shooting at a ground have a look at the spent shells lying around, it will give you a clue to what is popular and readily available locally.

Locally for me Eley Olympics are the best value cartridge available.

Andy Jude won the sporting home international this year using eley firsts, one of the cheapest, often moaned about shells. He shoots them because they are cheap. They don't cost him any targets!!

I'd like to see some true 'blind' tests of cartridges - and see if everyone that talks about them REALLY can tell the difference...

Salopian, good informative post thanks.

Ed, unbelievable, and I tell you why, Eley first were my first thousand shells I bought, I was ok with them, but like I said before they seemed quite dirty, however it seems sitting in garden with a cold beer cleaning me gun is quite therapeutic to be honest, anyhow, I was doing a compak and the guys there know I'm learning, so loads of help from them, and the main reason I'm looking for change is I lost confidence after 4 or 5 of the guys all said the same thing, "you'd better of putting them in a catapult" if you wanna hit a clay.

So as you can appreciate it not hard to fcuk with someone's head when trying hard to learn and grow confidence with your kit.

Now I'm sure there Fblacks are much better, but appart from the extra recoil I don't notice the difference, appart from the cost that is.

4 or 5 of the guys all said the same thing, "you'd better of putting them in a catapult" if you wanna hit a clay.
Don't listen to people who come out with tripe like that. They can't usually tell their harris from a hole in the ground :.:

Blind tests are the best way to prove to someone who says "so and so cartridge cant hit XYZ". they have it in their head they wont work, so they dont! If you mix up 5 different shells and load them up blind for someone they will suddenly see the light!

I first started out using eley first (nothing wrong with them) now shoot with olympics because i think they are a better cartridge and at my local supplier they are only £1/1000 dearer.

Price is also in the head.....X cartridge @ £150/1000 budget... Y cartridge @ £170/1000 mid range... same manufacturer in your head £20 pounds difference OMG.

Break it down to 100 bird shoots the diference is £2 per hundred.(2 teas please).

The only time it is robbing barsteward is when supplier X is £160/1000 and supplier Y is £183/1000 for the exact same cartridge.

You spend 1000's on a gun and quibble over pence per cartridge on which cartridge to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blind tests are the best way to prove to someone who says "so and so cartridge cant hit XYZ". they have it in their head they wont work, so they dont! If you mix up 5 different shells and load them up blind for someone they will suddenly see the light!
Totally agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I will shoot anything at anything, shot size being the only concern, but I really noticed a difference with comp x, no doubt a blind test could make me look stupid on this, or maybe I had a damp batch.

Having a Damp patch is never a good thing, especially when out shooting..

oops, ;) i read it too quick..

I love blind tests too, but in what format? Shooting a teal at 70 yards in hardly gonna be scientific for instance as you're bound to hit it with every cartridge some of the time. Proper blind is going to be a bastard to pull off but I believe there is such a thing as a difference in shells.

I reckon something like this - under fairly controlled conditions to ensure safety and validity of results :

• Relatively benign target
  • 3 pairs with each cartridge
  • Your own gun
  • Someone else to load & break the gun and keep the shells 'hidden'

Rate each cartridge on felt recoil, quality of breaks and all the other variables that people discuss endlessly.

I wonder how the results would compare to the price - and whether anyone could detect 'their' cartridge amongst others.

I'm not saying people can't - but it would be interesting.

Somewhat along the right lines Matt but if by benign you mean easy I don't think that would help. Many cartridges are perfectly good up to medium range, perhaps even indistinguishable, we also need a way to try and judge whether X shell needed less lead etc so you'd need more than one or two presentations meponders.

I mean hittable - not easy, not a giant dinner plate clay - but something that would give consistent hits.

Latest posts

Back