Beretta 400 Xcel

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack 1

Hi all

Opinions, help, advise please. Yesterday I bought a Beretta Xcel and having got home I noticed a flaw in the top left of the receiver. It seems that the sides of the receiver are smooth but the top has a look and effect of 'orange peel' is that correct. It is the top where the 'orange peel' has an area which is smooth.

Also I am not much impressed on closer inspection with the quality of the wood not up to that of my 682 Gold E

Is this orange peel  'effect' on the top of the receiver as it should be?, is the wood on an A400 not up to the level of 'normal'? what kind of back up customer service does GMK offer?.

And as a 'flyer' chaps. Would I be better with a Benelli Supersport for 100% sporting clays?

Have a great Sunday and thanks for the help

Jack 1.

All as it should be.  Yes, that's the Xtra grain wood which is just cheap, plain walnut that's be treated with a laser process.  Pics of the receiver would be helpful, but probably also normal.  I hate the phrase, but it is what it is.

GMK customer service is sh*te run by an incompetent bunch of idiots and in the workshop that seem to have no idea of the spec or how an A400 works...2 replacement barrels and then they sent me the wrong length and i gave up and swapped it for another which is a parallell target...they think the shims and spacers are the same,i have had both and know there different.

great gun though so hope you don't need them!

Without seeing images it's difficult to comment really.....could you compare yours to a few others in the dealers maybe?

I think may have replied to one of your earlier, similar posts....I had a Supersport and in a moment of madness swapped it for an A400 Xcel....had loads of problems with it....failures to eject, blue finish being chipped off the receiver where the cocking handle was (but shouldn't have been) hitting it....it went back to GMK who in the end couldn't fix it so swapped it for a brand new replacement. I kept that a few weeks and swapped it for anoth Supersprt having lost faith in it. 

I know there must be many hundreds of any gun in circulation that perform perfectly, with only the odd one or two that don't for whatever reason.... but when you get a bad one it's does rather colour ones view. 

Regarding the wood, I think beretta use a laser treatment to 'burn' a grain effect into plainer pieces of wood which I believe they do use on the A400....it's 'OK' but nothing to write home about.

Hopefully yours is fine, but either way I hope you get it sorted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently got an a400 Xcel. 

The action is a Matt finish on the top rather than a smooth finish like on the sides. 

I really like mine. It cycles great, and handles well. I bought mine for pigeon shooting predominantly and it does the job well. 

As to the wood, like has been stated, has staining added to the grain of the original woodwork to "enhance" the look, then lacquered over. But, for £1300-1500 new, you wouldn't expect grade 5 wood on a O/U at that price would you? 

That's why beretta have done a 'fake' job on the semi autos I guess. I don't think many people would pay £2500+ for a "higher grade" semi auto. Maybe I'm wrong.... ?! 

Without seeing images it's difficult to comment really.....could you compare yours to a few others in the dealers maybe?

I think may have replied to one of your earlier, similar posts....I had a Supersport and in a moment of madness swapped it for an A400 Xcel....had loads of problems with it....failures to eject, blue finish being chipped off the receiver where the cocking handle was (but shouldn't have been) hitting it....it went back to GMK who in the end couldn't fix it so swapped it for a brand new replacement. I kept that a few weeks and swapped it for anoth Supersprt having lost faith in it. 

I know there must be many hundreds of any gun in circulation that perform perfectly, with only the odd one or two that don't for whatever reason.... but when you get a bad one it's does rather colour ones view. 

Regarding the wood, I think beretta use a laser treatment to 'burn' a grain effect into plainer pieces of wood which I believe they do use on the A400....it's 'OK' but nothing to write home about.

Your comments on the blue finish are spot on. Regarding the Supersport yes again. Hindsight is an exact science I shall take it back tomorrow and see what is on offer may just bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and go for a Supersport.

Thanks

It's going back tomorrow for a replacement or refund then? Who knows as I said may be a Supersport.

I have recently got an a400 Xcel. 

The action is a Matt finish on the top rather than a smooth finish like on the sides. 

I really like mine. It cycles great, and handles well. I bought mine for pigeon shooting predominantly and it does the job well. 

As to the wood, like has been stated, has staining added to the grain of the original woodwork to "enhance" the look, then lacquered over. But, for £1300-1500 new, you wouldn't expect grade 5 wood on a O/U at that price would you? 

That's why beretta have done a 'fake' job on the semi autos I guess. I don't think many people would pay £2500+ for a "higher grade" semi auto. Maybe I'm wrong.... ?! 
You're right of course on the 'spend' on a semi but I may just increase the budget for a Supersport. The gloss (no pun again) has gone off the purchase of the Xcel

Thanks for your comments

Think you may have a dodgy one though. The finish on mine is good I think. Even the fake wood looks passable!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you may have a dodgy one though. The finish on mine is good I think. Even the fake wood looks passable!

View attachment 5612

View attachment 5610

View attachment 5611
Look Si....I don't care how many places I see pics of your new toy....I'm not going to bite!   :D    Did you see what one of the Americans on the group called your new toy?  A "Smurf" gun!!!  How unkind....I would never do that Si!!!! ........... :angel:

They are DAMN ugly guns, but you had to know that going in, right?  Not the elegance, fit and finish of the 303's, that's for sure, but a gun made to keep production costs low and be highly functional.

Jb

Any aluminium bodied Auto is just begging for Splash Anodizing...

EMeGoDRIPSPL-2.jpg

Actually I nearly bought the 303 instead of this, but thought the finish was better on the 400. 

The colour is definitely a marmite thing, not sure I could stand it if it was my main clay shooting gun! 

Certainly works well though

Actually I nearly bought the 303 instead of this, but thought the finish was better on the 400. 

The colour is definitely a marmite thing, not sure I could stand it if it was my main clay shooting gun! 

The A400Xcel went back to GMK today and I await a replacement in the meantime my faithful 682 Gold E will no doubt make me wish I hadn't bought a semi.

Back